Tell us about your first running injury (Read 808 times)

ITBS again. I started having problems near the end of training for my second marathon. I knew what it was and did everything I could to get healed by race day and had good results. When I ran the marathon everything was fine up to mile 22 when I had to stop running due to some congestion at a a water stop. At that point both knees literally locked up and I couldn't get running again. After walking for a while they loosened up to the point where I could run but only with severe pain. I stubbornly forged ahead anyway and finished the race 30 minutes slower than my goal. I did so much damage with my stupidity that I couldn't run for three months and it took nearly a year before I was fully recovered. Moral of the story: NEVER run through ITB pain. Tom

SMART Approach

knifey Glad to hear you are healthy. Yes sitting is horrible. I am still sitting on my fancy expensive wheelchair cushions. I have one in my car, one in my office and one on my couch. I can still feel it a bit when not sitting on these cushions or when I am a bit courageous and want to do a bit extra. My butt says, "slow down buddy". My isolated pain on ischial tuberosity is gone it is just a bit of radiated discomfort occasionally. I do't ever want to get this problem back even it mean no more intensity (other than races). I am very leary of sprints but if I am going to play softball this year I need to start doing some faster striders and building on them. I haven't yet.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

My son was going into the Air Force and I decided that I would do "Basic Training" at home while he did it at boot camp. I started running knowing NOTHING and promptly got a stress fracture (old bones don't take the pounding like young bones). Four weeks later I tried again using the C25K - Success!! I've been running for just over a year and have been basically injury free since. (I don't count crabby muscles and the occasional hitch in my gitalong. Big grin)

A Saucy Wench

minor...shin splints..wasnt religious about new shoes then major... tear in calf muscle.. after 1st born my feet totally changed and I was struggling to find the right shoe while training for a marathon and way overweight. Ended up with a brand new pair for a hilly half marathon.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Think Whirled Peas

Lower leg pain. BAD. Started after my first run in April of 2007. Didn't stop until I got decent shoes. 270 lbs. + $35 shoes + new to running = pudgy, slow, injured Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Carl A

I started running when I was one. About one second later, fell down go boom. My first serious running injury, though, was a bruised bone on the top of my left foot. Solved it by staying off the foot as much as I could for a few weeks and, then and thereafter, making some lacing adjustments to take the pressure off that spot on both feet.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I run for Fried Chicken!

Last September, training for a 5 mile Nike run. I ramped up my mileage pretty quickly and wasn't stretching properly. ITBS issues. I could barely walk after the 5 mile run. I read up on it and started stretching and it's gone away. Hasn't come back since. Just as a tangent, it's amazing to think that 5 miles back then was a difficult/long run for me. Now I almost never run under 5 miles.
                  My first major injury was hip bursitis. I joined a 24 hr relay event for charity where we took turns running a mile on a track. I ran 19 miles in the same direction (dumb) with very little training. I couldn't run again for 4 months and then I still had pain. It happened again several years later after overtraining. I took 2 months off, but it still bothered me after a couple of miles. My doctor told me to take Aleeve religiously, twice a day for 10 days to keep the swelling down. That did the trick.
                    My infamous Heel Injury sustained in my first 5k. You all know the story, so I don't need to repeat. I am off the bench, and working my way back slowly and safely. I hope it's the only running Injury I ever have to post about ever again!! Happy Injury Free Running to all! Big grin

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Aside from horrible shin splints that I used to get in HS (taped up and ran with them anyhow like a fool). My most recent experience with a running injury was last fall when I did something to my right hamstring while doing a speed workout. That hurt! It gave me a difficult time for quite a while and still flares up every now and then with speed workouts.

Michelle

My first running injury in my first year of running is ITBS, right now. It happened on Monday on mile 13 of my long run, still 2 miles from home. I had to walk on all the downhills. I'm still trying to figure out if it was caused by too much mileage last week or the brand new shoes. Either way its just stretching and strength training for at least a week.

Half Fanatic #846

Here's a different one: Chronic Exertional Anterior Compartment Syndrome (similar symptoms of shin splints)... where the left leg (front muscle) compartment occaisionally does not expand sufficiently during exercise, causing extreme internal pressure and severe nerve pain. I developed this in my 2nd year of running which was 2006, and never knew whether I would be able to complete a run, have to walk or stop, or be able to race. Self-diagnosed online and confirmed by a sports doc. My right leg has always been just fine. Had sucessful surgery on July 30, 2007 - was back to running in less than 3 weeks after that and am now approaching 40 MPW. Also, I have run 2 half marathons since then. Aside from normal soreness and stiffness, I've had some minor nicks and strains, but I always back off when I notice... Smile Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Why is it sideways?

ITBS. The summer before my freshman year of college, bumped my running from 35 mpw to 70 mpw, just running 10 miles every day. Kept it up for two months before it hit. I had to take the month of August off, but it was just as well because I came in fresh and in much better shape. I PR'd for the 5k in my first 8k race.
                              I ran for about 18 months and trained for two HMs without injury. (Well, there was that knee thing but I did that falling down some wet stairs. Not running related.) Then I got stupid. Tongue I pulled my hamstring. Just a twinge really. But rather than taking some time off I jacked up my training and added speedwork. Then I ran a very hilly 80-mile relay and a half marathon within two weeks and despite limping the last couple of miles while clutching my hamstring, I kept trying to run and slathering on the Bio-Freeze and ODing on Advil. Even collapsing on the track a week or so later (and freaking out all the old people who walk there!) didn't stop me. I kept trying to run and eventually that minor pull turned into a major tear and I pretty much have just gotten back to where I can run pain-free again and the injury happened last May. Blush I *finally* took the docs advice and just quit trying to run and, well, it healed. I guess that "No Running!" means "No Running At All!" Duh! Roll eyes Teresa
                                Wow, looks like we have a theme here! ITBS here as well, last year training for my first marathon which prevented me from making it to the start line. It started when I was in Vegas and I went for a 10 mile run on the strip. I don't know if anyone has run that surface but it is like running on steel! Knee started to hurt by the Stratosphere and by the time I'd limped home I was in a bad way. Took over 6 months for the *&$^ing thing to get better! Now going for round number 2 of marathon training, so far so good (on the injury front anyways.....)