Wisdom Teeth, or Lack Thereof -How Long to Recover?- (Read 943 times)

Menace to Sobriety

It differs so much from person to person!  I got over it really easily when I was a teenager, but my 17-year-old son had a horrible time.  He missed an entire week of school and did not feel like running at ALL.  Playing it by ear is about all you can do. Good luck!!

+1 here.  I had an impacted WT pulled when I was in HS and went to basketball practice that afternoon with no issues. Everyone is different.  See how you feel, but I wouldn't recommend running while on the pain killers.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Just woke up on day 1 and it felt like someone had come into my house overnight and punched my face repeatedly while I slept, to make sure I you know, felt it.  I now think Vicoden is overrated, and novacain is the drug I really want.  Numbness is a great feeling. 

Yea, dry sockets are the main issue.  I feel fine enough to go run right now, but I don't want to fuck anything up.  So, you think water running would be less likely to cause dry socketing than say, running?  I guess the impact would be more likely to dislodge a clot, wouldn't it.  Perhaps I will do that on saturday instead of running, to hopefully remove the chance of horrible pain.

Hays in the barn. Sack it up. Get After it. Just one more mile, just one more mile, just one more sad little mile in my miles of trials. God, how I do love every last one of them.
        I had mine out a couple of years ago. I got really bad muscle spasms in my jaw for a week after that made my recovery take longer, since I kept having to take painkillers and couldn't sleep very well at all. I don't think that's common though. If not for that I would have been fine the next day. I kept it iced pretty much all the time for the first day and didn't have much swelling at all.

Half Fanatic #846

I'm taking my daughter next week to the Oral Surgeon to remove all her wisdom teeth.  She's looking forward to the ice cream, pudding, cold drink, smoothie type diet, but doesn't really want to talk about  pain, swelling, or any other such side effects.  They have caused problems, so she's definitely ready to get 'em done.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

The shirtless wonder

I lack wisdom teeth and my recovery time was a big fat zero.  I just simply do not have wisdom teeth.  There is nothing there in the x-rays.  My dentist says I'm genetically superior because I don't have useless wisdom teeth.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I lack wisdom teeth and my recovery time was a big fat zero.  I just simply do not have wisdom teeth.  There is nothing there in the x-rays.  My dentist says I'm genetically superior because I don't have useless wisdom teeth.

Yes, but if you lack wisdom teeth, does this mean you lack wisdom?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The King of Beasts

I don't want to fuck anything up.  So, you think water running would be less likely to cause dry socketing than say, running?  I guess the impact would be more likely to dislodge a clot, wouldn't it.  Perhaps I will do that on saturday instead of running, to hopefully remove the chance of horrible pain.

dude, for real. just take a few days off running. it will not make the work come to an end.

take a few days off, get better, then get back out there.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ditto.  My poor hubby had braces (twice) and wisdoms pulled.  Unfortunately our kid is destined for braces, too, just like his dad.  But neither of us wear glasses, so we're hoping that we can get by cheap on the vision correction front.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

It's wisdom teeth, not open heart surgery.  Stop being such a baby.

Runners run

Half Fanatic #846

I lack wisdom teeth and my recovery time was a big fat zero.  I just simply do not have wisdom teeth.  There is nothing there in the x-rays.  My doctor says I'm genetically superior because I don't have useless wisdom teeth and I was born with no appendix.

There!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

It's wisdom teeth, not open heart surgery.  Stop being such a baby.

Thats what I said.  The dentists, surgeons, etc, were however very adamant that running immediately could cause untold pain from those cracy dry sockets and like complications.  I think they just need to get better at the surgeory, really. 

@Greg:  I wish I had your magical genes.  You are the future of the human race, sir.  You best breed lots to remove as much of that terrible Wisdom Teeth gene from the gene pool as possible.  It is your duty.

Hays in the barn. Sack it up. Get After it. Just one more mile, just one more mile, just one more sad little mile in my miles of trials. God, how I do love every last one of them.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

@Greg:  I wish I had your magical genes.  You are the future of the human race, sir.  You best breed lots to remove as much of that terrible Wisdom Teeth gene from the gene pool as possible.  It is your duty.

Genetics and evolution are cool.  One of my parents had 2 wisdoms, one had none.  None of the 3 of us kids have had wisdom teeth.  I'll be interested to see if my son has them.  I think my hubby had 4.

I believe my complete lack of those extra molars is proof that I should eat more meat. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The shirtless wonder

My parents have wisdom teeth.  My brother did.  My sister had 2.  I had none.  Yay me!
                              My parents have wisdom teeth.  My brother did.  My sister had 2.  I had none.  Yay me!

Someone lucked out.  I still say you should act as a modern day Khan, and spread your lack of wisdom teeth to thousands of children.  Only without all the rape and murder, that wouldn't be so good.

So I for some reason decided to start icing this balloon face of mine.  Its my normal route to fixing anything wrong with my body, and apperently it works rather well.  I now only look 300 pounds from the neck up, instead of the 500 pounds before.  Improvement. 

Maybe I should start trying to ice away other ailments.  Like the flu.