40s on the run - running away from Active.com (Read 1685 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Thanks. The motorbikes are only slightly less dangerous than running or cycling around this neighborhood. I've had several friends get hit by cars while on their bicycles (in one case the man's running days were ended), and just 2 weeks ago a runner was hit and killed 3 blocks from here while she was in a crosswalk by a driver who simply pulled up too quickly/too far into the intersection (stop sign). People think their cars are their living rooms...but that's another rant for another day... Arla

Ex runner

Another Passion

Thanks. The motorbikes are only slightly less dangerous than running or cycling around this neighborhood. I've had several friends get hit by cars while on their bicycles (in one case the man's running days were ended), and just 2 weeks ago a runner was hit and killed 3 blocks from here while she was in a crosswalk by a driver who simply pulled up too quickly/too far into the intersection (stop sign). People think their cars are their living rooms...but that's another rant for another day... Arla
      Nothing's 100% safe. I live in a suburban community and in ONE week was almost struck by cars THREE times! Grrrr. Shocked

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Top 'O the World!

Ditto guys! I think I'm in a slightly less dangerous arena in that most of my trails stay in the green belts w/roadway underpasses (which my dog is freaking out about just now!) & I only occasionally have to cross streets....however, it seems to me that sometimes they deliberately speed up while I'm in the crosswalk!! WHAT is so annoying about a runner?!?!? Now, I could really get on a soapbox about inconsiderate drivers......( Wink Arla!) & if anything annoys them more than my running shoes, it's my motorcycle! (old Virago)
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

I run on a dirt road, most of my neighbors are pretty good as long as I am easily seen. Hopefully there is an Amphipod hi-vis reflective vest under the tree. Smile ps if its a camo vest dw doesn't love me anymore Cry

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Mtnchk, those old Viragos were nice, you should send a pic; guess they got replaced by the "Star" series. Even with the hi-viz vest, you have to assume you're invisible. After all, they still need to look. There's an old railway trail here that's now a multi-use path, it crosses a street at one point and the location is marked for motorists with warning signs, blinking lights, and a stop sign. Yet I've regularly seen people run the stop sign and speed through the area. Loving Spouse is an ER doc and I get to hear all the gruesome stories, along with the disapproving looks when I want to get out on the bicycle or motorcycle. But what's a person to do? Cower at home in the living room? Arla

Ex runner

King of PhotoShop

Am I welcome here? I'm way too old for a 40's thread, but I have been looking at some of the posts, finding some old CR friends and trying to figure out where I should post. One theme I saw in the CR topic is that the RA folks would not like to see the new people come in and try to make their site like CR, and I can't blame them. However, older runners who compete, as I do, probably want to find some home base. What do you folks suggest is a good site to visit here for people like me? I am happy to join you. It looks like a very nice place. Thank you. Spareribs
                Am I welcome here? I'm way too old for a 40's thread, but I have been looking at some of the posts, finding some old CR friends and trying to figure out where I should post. One theme I saw in the CR topic is that the RA folks would not like to see the new people come in and try to make their site like CR, and I can't blame them. However, older runners who compete, as I do, probably want to find some home base. What do you folks suggest is a good site to visit here for people like me? I am happy to join you. It looks like a very nice place. Thank you. Spareribs
                You're most certainly welcome! Nice to see another Texan too. We have all abilities and ages around here. There is a new Masters Running group that seems very nice so far - check it out in the User Groups section. My opinion on the big influx of new folks is not that we don't like change - far from it - just take a little while to check things out around here first. Welcome to RA, Spareribs.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Queen of 3rd Place

Well, we could change it to 40 - somethings....or Can pass for 40s... or ??... Wink Of *course* you're welcome here. Arla

Ex runner

...And I do.

Leslie -- I got my log imported so no need to get back to me on it. Thanks! ~S

flatland mountaineer

I did a couple miles on skis today again during lunch hour, hard for me to go very fast on them silly things, took almost 45 minutes. Its doing wonders for my hip and SI so hope to soon be ramping up the running miles again in the new year. I have one major Dental appt and a few small ones in January and my reconstruction will be done and I won't have that to impede me like last summer. Leslie my dw got those La Sportiva Ultra Nords and is really liking them on the snow and ice, if you are still looking for your Europe trip. Welcome spareribs. Joe who is that new pup in your avatar?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hi All you fun runners Smile Jim - nice going skiing your hip problem away!And that would be baby Buddy. The bad news heading out at runtime this morning is that it was drizzly,dim,damp and dreary. Good news is I matched then topped my PB for distance and time.13.1m @9:43 per(give or take a Buddy break here and there). I have been lucky as I am on track for 120miles this month with only 5 of them being around cars.I do the bulk of my weekday training runs doing 1.5 m laps around the school,then weekend long runs on trails and\or 5m long bike path that I go out and back on.That's where we were today. Can't say enough Great things about the very warm Welcome we have received from the fine folks here.You are all truly Awesome!!!! Yes

Queen of 3rd Place

Hey I just wanted to say Merry Christmas or whatever holiday you celebrate/have time off for/etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be too busy/traveling to post the next few days, but I hope to find you all again come the new year! Arla

Ex runner

Another Passion

Welcome, Spareribs (love the name, btw)! You can post wherever you like. Like Bonkin said, just take a look around, including the groups, and if you don't see one that suits what you need/like, feel free to create one yourself and announce it. Wink Congrats on the distance and time pb nj joe! That's so awesome! Merry Christmas to you as well Arla. Big grin

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Jtalley28

Hello everyone. I am excited to find a group that is "running away from Active.com!" I am a new runner, started running Nov. 3 after participating in a 5K at my church. I had never run before in my life and loved it. Later that day I browsed the internet to learn about running and found Coolrunning.com. The Couch to 5K Program sounded right for me and I got started on it immediately. The Newbie Cafe group that was on the same week I was is called "Like No Other Runners." I am starting week 8 today. I tried to transition to Active.com but found that website to be way too slow and difficult to navigate. Runniingahead is so much faster and easier to navigate! Since I am 48 years old I fit in the "40's on the run" group. Being a newbie I need encouragement to stick with this new sport. I am so happy to find a group that I can chat with online!
                                "I'm not pushing 40, I'm draggin' it behind me!"
                                I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock