Bloody Urine (Read 943 times)

The voice of mile 18

Everything seems fine today...although, I think the long run I had scheduled for today isn't happening.
    had this before and while a bit scary was told that it isn't that uncommon and if it goes away on it's on should be fine and here it's on the internet so it must be true: http://www.time-to-run.com/doctor/bloodyurine.htm

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Your coach is right. You were dehydrated. Especially during autumn and winter, when sweating reduce, we just do not drink enough to keep enough fluids in our bladder to keep opposing walls from rubbing against each other that cause some blood to mix with urine. This is not a problem. Keep yourself hydrated to keep the inside walls of your piss-pipes to stay away from each other and you do not get shocking red piss during or after the run. They, walls of your piss-pipes, should not hang out with each other. If that happens it will cause some bloody results. I got my first in a middle of the forest and thought thats it, I have a cancer of something. But, I was just lacking water. I have got this two times in my life and both were at winter. Drink one cup of water before you go to your run and problem is solved.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I got my first in a middle of the forest and thought thats it, I have a cancer of something. But, I was just lacking water. I have got this two times in my life and both were at winter. Drink one cup of water before you go to your run and problem is solved.
        Yeah, my FIL did have cancer...of the bladder. We lost him 2 years ago next month. Sad Once upon a time he ran the Chicago Marathon and was the fittest guy I knew his age. He was in his late 40s when he first was diagnosed. He fought for almost 13 years and had his bladder replaced, only to have the cancer return and eventually spread to a kidney, ureter, and then liver, where it turned terminal. I cannot stress enough that it's probably nothing, but it could very well be something and shouldn't be dismissed casually. Bladder cancer doesn't just happen to drinkers and smokers, it sometimes happens to healthy, active guys. I run my races with a garish yellow Livestrong hat. Because some people I love are no longer here to run.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Aye, we should always be careful. If your urine is red, real red and nothing but the red, you are most probably safe. If your urine has few specks of blood here and there, you are most probably not well and should be checked as soon as possible. Annual health checks are highly recommended.
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

This happened to me once after a hard, hot race. I sat around drinking slightly salty water until I peed clear again. That was enough to convince me that my kidneys were not failing and I was probably going to live. You do want to be careful. Rhabdomyolysis is nothing to mess around with, though it's rare.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              Aye, we should always be careful. If your urine is red, real red and nothing but the red, you are most probably safe.
              This sounds like the absolute worst advice I've ever heard. Even if it is true.
                Might sound like that, but after you have experienced the topic, and red urine is not that uncommon amongst runners, you do not get that worried about it anymore. If your urine is totally red it means you have ether really, really rare disease or during the run the movement caused the inside wall of your bladder to rub against each other because your bladder was too empty, thus red urine. Nothing to worry about that, even though it is shocking to witness it. Grandpa's, couches and doctors advice is to drink one cup of water before you go to run. This fills the bladder enough to prevent rubbing. So, you can worry your ass off like I did in the woods, but at the end the most probable cause for this shocking experience is that you were dehydrated. But, every one of us should do annual medical checks so that if you happen to have a rare disease it can be diagnosed as early as possible. After you have experienced most of the runners symptoms, you just do not anymore get that worried with this sort of things. I have had it, I have checked it, I have laughed about it and when I got it second time I just shrug my shoulders, put my pants up and continued the run. I hope I am smart enough to remember to drink that one cup of water before my runs so that I do not need to experience it third time. There are not that many diseases you could have if your urine is totally red and you have not damaged your kidneys.

Half Fanatic #846

I was in great shape, but once had some abdominal pain and a minute amount of blood in the urine and my doctor immediately sent me to ER. I was in the hospital for three days. When doctors say to get it checked - get it checked!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Might sound like that, but after you have experienced the topic, and red urine is not that uncommon amongst runners, you do not get that worried about it anymore.
                    Agreed. But it is also common in certain kidney diseases, infections and cancers. All hematuria needs to be explained. Once you have confirmed that it comes from running, you no longer need to worry about it.
                      So, how is it beef? Did you went to check it? Now we have 3 guys that has had this and 2 cases were just rubbing. Would be nice to hear what caused beefs. I do not say that you should not check this kind of stuff. What is my meaning is that this experience is a major shock when you have it, but if you have read about it and heard other runners stories then you might not stress yourself to death with it (you do know that stress shorten you life, thus less years on your shoes). If you get it during or after the run and you know that during last few days your hydration has not been good, then you can feel safe about it, but should check it if its your first time. If you get this without a run, then it is not rubbing, but something else. Also, your urine should be REALLY red with this, not just little bit or specks of blood. Those are the symptoms of something else. I still clearly remember my first time. It was THE SHOCK, the first time I thought thats it, my life is over. Dark red stuff from your willy is not a pretty sight. Just wondering, I have not heard women to have this experience. If there are any, please, do let us know. I have started to assume this is a male thing only.

The Greatest of All Time

I have had this happen several times and it was always caused by a kidney stone. This has happened especially after very hard runs and I can usually only see blood the first time I go after said run. No one mentioned it (I don't think). I have had a problem with kidney stones for the last 10 years and have had 6 surgical procedures. If you don't know, when they are in the kidney they don't hurt but they can cause bleeding, especially if they are big. It's when they get stuck in the ureter that the fun starts and if that ever happens you will definitely know about it.
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                          This is good to know. I have had no problems with stones before, but maybe I should check it again, just to be sure. I do not have any desire to experience stones in my pipes.

Imminent Catastrophe

Go see a doctor.
                            OK, people, listen up. The OP asked a medical question. A doctor responded. What part of "Go see a doctor" don't you understand?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hehee... OP asked "Is that all that is necessary?" Meaning that is it enough what his coach has said to him years before. Safe answer is always "go to see a doc" and I have said the same thing in most of my posts. What is the prob to discuss about this? To share experiences? So that when one of you face this during or after the run you have already read about this in here and about our experiences and do not worry yourself to death with it before you get a chance to see your doc. If you choose not to see a doc it is up to you. Be assured. We all understand the part of "go to see a doc" and nobody has not said beef should not go to see a doc. Another topic is what are the chances that it is something serious? Best and cheapest medical insurance anyone of us can have is annual medical checks. It is easiest to your body and to your wallet in the long run. Make it your annual habit and your body shall thank you for it. I would still like to hear other runners experiences about this topic. I do hope that forum polices can give us a little bit more time to do this.

Imminent Catastrophe

I understand. If the question were something trivial as, How does the Garmin 405 do in the rain, or What do you think about the Asics 2330, or even what is this pain in my shin, that might be something that you could take internet advice on. But when you post a symptom, and a MD/runner thinks that it could be serious enough to tell you to see a doc, maybe you should give that advice more credibility than one from an anonymous internet guy who says everything is OK and recommends "annual health checks".

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016