The mid-week medium long run (Read 2948 times)

A Saucy Wench

cg  - I was a night owl all the way.  Mornings became the routine because they had to be.  I hope you have a basement or a garage for the TM.  I have one thinking they would save my icy day runs, only to realize that I can not use it when anyone is trying to sleep.  There are no basements here.  

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

For me the choice was become a morning person or don't be a runner.

Runners run.

About doubles... When I jumped up to the 18/85+ plan I ran my doubles during lunch at work. Since most of the doubles are 4-6 miles, you should be able to complete them in a lunch hour.

I have found the mid-week long run has helped get better at longer distances. But it does suck royally. Early morning 15 milers mid-week usually mean getting up @ 5am. In the middle of winter this sucks... Pfitz doesn't always go easy-MLR-easy. A lot of times the day before the MLR you are running either an LT run or a vo2max intervals. So the MLR is a semi-long run on Tired legs also.

Even for me I run the 15 milers in ~1:55-1:57. I start off really slow then by mile 9-10 I'll be at MP + 15% and by the end MP+10%.... Maybe a goal should be that your average pace for the run should be MP+15%...

These might be the toughest runs in the Pfitz plans, since they aren't your weekend long runs, but are long enough to be "annoying". Plus they are mid-week, so you usually have to get up early if you are a morning runner. Plus half of them usually come after a tough LT/vo2Max run...

In the beginning of the high mileage plans you usually have two of these a week.... Especially the 18 week plans, you'll be doing 14-12, 15-13, 15-14 Wed then Fri.... Fun, fun, fun, but it works...

Intentionally Blank

Do you have the book? I think the recipe for the medium (and long) runs is  based on your target marathon pace:

- first 1/3 is warmup (slower than what comes next)

- next 1/3 is around 20% slower than your target marathon pace

- last 1/3 is around 10% slower than your target marathon pace.

whether that  takes you more or less than 2 hours will depend what your target marathon pace is.

In my case, to target my BQ time of 3:45, (8:37 pace) I would supposedly run this on a 12 mile run:

4 miles at 10:45 or slower

4 miles at 10:20 (MP + 20%)

4 miles at 9:29 (MP + 10%)

That's just over 2 hours, unless I screwed up the math or my understanding of the book.

This makes sense, but would feel incredibly slow to me in the first 8 miles.  Yikes.  I have the book.  I need to actually read it. heh.

This makes sense, but would feel incredibly slow to me in the first 8 miles.  Yikes.  I have the book.  I need to actually read it. heh.

If your first and only marathon was 3:47, then perhaps you'd use a plan like this to prepare for a much faster goal.

Intentionally Blank

Thanks ymmv.  It was my second.  My first was a walk-a-thon 4:25 in debilitating heat seven months before.

I've been futzing around doing not much since January.    I need to buckle down.  Not sure if I am in as good of shape right now as I was last year.

I think the slower you are the less useful formulas such as MP + x % are.  That's not a knock, it's just simple math.

I wouldn't worry too much about the exact pace and what percent of your MP it is.  And really do people actually do the math and figure out what MP+10% and MP+20% is?  I usually just run by effort.  And so I'd just take the 12 miler and do:

4 mi easy

4 mi medium

4 mi tempo-ish.

...whatever that turns into.

Training, it turns out, is not a laser-guided, surgical strike.  It's a blunt instrument.

Runners run.

Intentionally Blank

Tempo-ish being faster than marathon pace?

One of my favorite things about running is that I can lace up and hit the street without putting too much thought into it.

Training, it turns out, is not a laser-guided, surgical strike.  It's a blunt instrument.

This is a good mental picture for me.  When I'm feeling crappy I'm telling myself to do more of what makes me feel crappy so that I will eventually feel even crappier.  I doesn't matter whether it's tempo, or easy, or hills, or intervals or whatever.  Then I'm imagining that somewhere at the end of all the crappiness there will be 3 hours and 20 minutes of the worst crap of all followed by a day or two of bliss.  Then repeat, only with worse crappiness so that the 3 hours and 20 minutes becomes a few minutes less. 

Writing all that down really makes me wonder what the hell I am doing. 

Tempo-ish being faster than marathon pace?

Sometimes, sure.  Sometimes quite a bit faster than marathon pace.  Depends on the day, really.

Runners run.

This is a good mental picture for me.  When I'm feeling crappy I'm telling myself to do more of what makes me feel crappy so that I will eventually feel even crappier.  I doesn't matter whether it's tempo, or easy, or hills, or intervals or whatever.  Then I'm imagining that somewhere at the end of all the crappiness there will be 3 hours and 20 minutes of the worst crap of all followed by a day or two of bliss.  Then repeat, only with worse crappiness so that the 3 hours and 20 minutes becomes a few minutes less. 

What in the hell are you talking about?

Runners run.

What in the hell are you talking about?

My brain is a blunt instrument.

My brain is a blunt instrument.

Heh. If you're feeling crappy all the time, you're doing it wrong.

NO IDLING CUCH

ahhh, there it is. this makes total sense. i practice the art of self manipulation, as well as others and play games to get the crap to at least smell a little nicer.  it really gets good if someone gets sucked in. i am green here so grain of salt applies.

it is also my experience that "normal" people bore me. sorry for intruding.

get your ass on the bike and set a bunch of movies to play, that will do you some good. 

it is also my experience that "normal" people bore me. 

Heh.