HM Pace vs. Marathon Pace (Read 1041 times)

A runner who’s screen name is Andre_Media conducted a study of 300 runners who ran a HM-marathon combination spaced 6-8 weeks apart, such as the Philadelphia Distance Run and the Philadelphia Marathon, to determine the actual relationship between their HM and marathon performances as compared to the projections of running calculators. The results, which he reported in an excellent essay, are interesting. They clearly indicate that the marathon time projections of running calculators are overly aggressive for most runners….and the commonly used rules of thumb of doubling HM time and adding either 10-minutes or 10% are even worse for those mid-to-back of the packers who run HM’s slower than 1:40. He arrived at a ratio of actual marathon:HM performances that should be a useful guideline for many, if not most, runners. For his report, which I posted on my Running Page with his permission, see HM Pace vs. Marathon Pace.
      Very good analysis Jim, I have been struggling with this question and knew that 4:10 based on my 2:00 HM was a bit agressive projection for me. I was basing this on anecdotal results from other runners on this site. Now I have facts supporting the hunch. One other race that one can study is the Thunder Road marathon in Charlotte, which has a Dowd Y Half marathon about 6 weeks before it. The first half of the marathon is about 80% same course as the Half, with the start being less than a half mile apart. MTA spelling
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Interesting, though the real issue with these projections is people not being fully trained for the longer distance.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

C-R

Interesting, though the real issue with these projections is people not being fully trained for the longer distance.
          winner winner chicken dinner. tangent on - I've run several marathons (8) and none of the calculators worked for me. Always slower than the math. Looking back at my training shows not enough miles. I think there is a correlation. This time I am running more miles more consistently. I can't wait to see the results after St. Louis.- tangent off

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

The projections are usually pretty good for me. Within a minute or two. Must be I am running those HM's too slow!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

DoppleBock

I would guess the correlation will continue, the faster the 1/2 marathon time the more likely the spread between the 2 will shrink. I tried to skim it, but I hope that the top 10% and the bottom 10% of data was dropped. It would be really easy to run 3x your half marathon time if you blew up, but you are not likely going to run much better than the predicted time. The marathon is much harder to run well then the 1/2 marathon. Also many people are not aerobically fit enough for 1/2 marathon to be a good predictor of marathon My biggest spread between 1/2 marathon x2 from marathon time in the last 4 years = 6.5 minutes or about 15 seconds per mile. But as I have said on this board before - running a lot of miles makes me aerobically fit enough for calculators to work well ... as long as I run an intelligent race

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Very good analysis Jim, I have been struggling with this question and knew that 4:10 based on my 2:00 HM was a bit agressive projection for me. I was basing this on anecdotal resluts from other runners on this site. Now I have facts supporting the hunch. One other race that one can study is the Thunder Road marathon in Charlotte, which has a Dowd Y Half marathon about 6 weeks before it. The first half of the marathon is about 80% same course as the Half, with the start being less than a half mile apart.
                If you tell me you are at least in the range of 50-60 miles per week average, then I would say no ... If under 50 average, then its unknown and I would encourage a more conservative approach for the 1st 1/2 and see how you feel.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

A Saucy Wench

Wanted to add, I do think the point of the article about reasonable expectations for less seasoned marathon runners is a good one. My running p ran her first marathon and ended up very very close to the McMillan prediction. However, in a strong desire to finish feeling good rather than chase some arbitrary time and risk blowing up, she started out with a PLAN to run about 55 seconds/mile slower than her HM pace...or very close to what the article suggests. She was not able to hold her adrenalin down QUITE enough to do that, however by aiming for 9mm she ran stunningly consistant 8:48's for the first 20 miles and then picked it up and came in with a strong last six miles and finished in 3:48 - (8:42 pace). And she enjoyed herself. Had she started out aiming for the 8:42 pace, I think she would have still let adrenaline carry her faster and quite possibly ended up burning out. Especially on a course that was hillier in the first half.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

I think it's this, plus I think first time marathoners underestimate how different these two races are, both from a training and racing standpoint.

Not at it at all. 

mikeymike

The calculators work like a champ for me...when I'm in shape to race. Funny how that part is critically important to the whole equation.

Runners run

VI was basing this on anecdotal resluts from other runners on this site. Now I have facts supporting the hunch.
                        hehe *snigger* sorry... go back to discussing important running topics. Tongue

A Saucy Wench

The calculators work like a champ for me...when I'm in shape to race. Funny how that part is critically important to the whole equation.
                          yeah there is that. My running p was far more prepared for her first marathon than most.

lap

Unexplained here is how the formulas in the calculators were obtained in the first place. If they were derived by the analysis of running results of a large sample of runners, then the first question to ask is whether the discrepancy across studies can be explained by differences in the samples. I assume, but do not know, that the various calculators are based on empirical studies, not simply made up out of whole cloth. That said, most of the calculators online and elsewhere do state the caveat noted by several posters here; one needs to actually train for the longer distances.
                            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Exellent article and I like the fact that it doesn't claim to be the be all and end all on the subject, just something to keep in mind while setting time goals for the marathon. This will certainly be on my mind as I prepare for number three.
                                Unexplained here is how the formulas in the calculators were obtained in the first place. If they were derived by the analysis of running results of a large sample of runners, then the first question to ask is whether the discrepancy across studies can be explained by differences in the samples. I assume, but do not know, that the various calculators are based on empirical studies, not simply made up out of whole cloth. That said, most of the calculators online and elsewhere do state the caveat noted by several posters here; one needs to actually train for the longer distances.
                                I believe that the calculators and VDOT tables were created by sampling enough elite runners and elite masters until a linear pattern appeared, and then projecting downwards onto non-elites. I think the theory is that you can't get statistical significance when sampling non-elites because there is too much variance in training, racing goals, run/walk, and the "crapshoot" factor of the marathon. The side effect of this is that the calculators offer an answer to how you would do if you trained for the marathon equivilently compared to how you trained for the test race. The problem is: the marathon is more training dependent than any other race, and the volume of training required is higher. If a 30-35 mpw runner runs a 20-minute 5k, and then trains for a marathon at 40-50 mpw, they will fall short of what the calculator predicts. This is due to the fact that they were much better trained for the 5k than they were for the marathon, an equivilent amount of training for the marathon for them would be in the 80 mpw range. The cold hard truth is that the vast majority of casual runners do not train adequately for "racing" (as opposed to "running") the marathon, and as such the calculators do not work for them.
                                For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.