Preparing for Basic(First time runner) (Read 985 times)

Hey guys, I am looking towards joining the National Guard here in MA. I need to drop about 40lbs before I am eligible  to join,  am currently at 330lbs,  have dropped about 120 over the past 1.5 years.

Dropping the weight I have mostly used Weight lifting(am an avid weight lifter, have been for about 4 years), though I have also cut out all junk food and sodas(only really drink water and some flavored ones for variety), and power walking, with the occasional block or two slow jog( I really hate running, probably cause I suck at it)

I can do about 1 mile in 10 minutes if I really push myself but I am flat out spent after that. I power walk every day for at least a mile and manage to do that on the tredmill at a 2.6speed in about 19 minutes.

I am really looking to try and get down two things here,

1. Get down to a 6 or lower mile time( I want to be able to do 2 miles in under 13 minutes)

2. Get proper distance training and pacing to be able to last for more then 2 miles, but also to accomplish the side goal listed in step one.

Now as I said I don't really ever run because my size seems to prevent me from going real far with it( Almost feels like lifting so fast that you just exhaust yourself and don't actually build any musle because you didnt take it slow enough to get a work out). So I know i am going to have to start slow and build upon that, and im fine with that, but I am a results junky and I want to get advice from experts on the matter, no offense to the army guys, but over on that form they seem to subscribe to the suck it up and do it method, and that seems flat out idiotic to me.

Anyway, I have been looking around, and I found the Couch to 5K program and that seems pretty good, but it also seems geared towards just distance, so do you think I should go with that and maybe  some kind of speed training program, or just focus on furthering myself along nicely on that program and worry about speed after ive built up some significant stamina?

EDIT: Sorry forgot, I am 21 Years old 6'3"

Hey guys, I am looking towards joining the National Guard here in MA. I need to drop about 40lbs before I am eligible  to join,  am currently at 330lbs,  have dropped about 120 over the past 1.5 years.

Dropping the weight I have mostly used Weight lifting(am an avid weight lifter, have been for about 4 years), though I have also cut out all junk food and sodas(only really drink water and some flavored ones for variety), and power walking, with the occasional block or two slow jog( I really hate running, probably cause I suck at it)

I can do about 1 mile in 10 minutes if I really push myself but I am flat out spent after that. I power walk every day for at least a mile and manage to do that on the tredmill at a 2.6speed in about 19 minutes.

I am really looking to try and get down two things here,

1. Get down to a 6 or lower mile time( I want to be able to do 2 miles in under 13 minutes)

2. Get proper distance training and pacing to be able to last for more then 2 miles, but also to accomplish the side goal listed in step one.

Now as I said I don't really ever run because my size seems to prevent me from going real far with it( Almost feels like lifting so fast that you just exhaust yourself and don't actually build any musle because you didnt take it slow enough to get a work out). So I know i am going to have to start slow and build upon that, and im fine with that, but I am a results junky and I want to get advice from experts on the matter, no offense to the army guys, but over on that form they seem to subscribe to the suck it up and do it method, and that seems flat out idiotic to me.

Anyway, I have been looking around, and I found the Couch to 5K program and that seems pretty good, but it also seems geared towards just distance, so do you think I should go with that and maybe  some kind of speed training program, or just focus on furthering myself along nicely on that program and worry about speed after ive built up some significant stamina?

EDIT: Sorry forgot, I am 21 Years old 6'3"

Its been awhile since I first started running, but I'll be the first to chime in.

First, CONGRATULATIONS on the weight loss!! That's insane. Keep up whateve you're doing and you'll hit your goals, and thensome.

Second, do the C25K plan - I'm sure others who have done this will have better advice with this. When you start running more, speed will naturally come. Stop doing any sort of "speed" workouts on the treadmill, track, or outside. Those are a sure fire way to injure yourself. Run easy. Very easy. Take walk breaks per your plan, or as needed.

Third, a 6:00mi is a very ambitious goal at this stage. Keep that goal, but I'd make it a long term goal. Consider making your short/mid-term goals to be able to run for XX amount of time rather than hitting a certain speed. Again, as you run more and your stamina builds, speed will come naturally.

Fourth, as a results junky, keep a running log either here or somewhere else and take notes about the runs, etc.. Don't look at short term results and gains, but after you've completed a month or two of the program look back at when you started. You'll probably laugh at how you could only do such and such a distance and were completely wiped out. If you're logging on this website, consider opening it up to the public view so people can look at what you've been doing and give advice (if you ask for it).

There's some preliminary advice. I know there's some other armed forces people who log/post on this site too. Good luck with everything!

Good job on continued path to getting healthy!

Do the C25K and take it slow and steady to avoid injury, 330 lbs would be a lot of stress on body to jump in with speedwork, etc.  you mentioned just concerned C25k was about distance and not speed and that is what all running is about.  Do the distance and the speed will come but it takes months/years and probably 1000's of miles

Other good thing is more slow miles is actually much better for shedding weight/burning fat than short speed work.  Stick with the walking (although hate to break it to you 2.6 mph is a 23 minute mile not 19) and maybe work on getting speed up to 4.0 mph for a good power walk, which will be good calorie burning and not stress your legs and proceeding onto C25K.  i would say you should be 1+ years away from worrying about any speedwork and also set realistic goals:

Maybe

1. Next 2 months -- Complete C25K

2. Complete First 5K (just finish baby --- without walking would be awesome)

3. Take it from there to see where you are fitness wise, but 6:30 miles @ 300 lbs would be VERY FAST as many on RA (myself included) have been running for years and put in 1000's of miles at that 6:30 pace for 2 miles would be a stretch.

Stick with, stay healthy (which means slow and steady) as if you read enough threads you will see 95% of injuries are from runners trying to go too far/too fast!

MTA --- Also if ruuning 3+ days a week then drop down to 1 - 2 days of lifting as body will need rest/recovery time from added stresses and although strength training is good for running, lifting 4+ days is a bit much.  Picking up the running and lifting to maintain the strength without building more bulk should help lower weight.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Misinformation Officer

Congrats!  You have made some incredible life changes for a long and healthy future!  WTG!

There is a lot of good advice throughout RA (and of course, a few knuckleheads who can't keep quiet, even when they are wrong). 

A Saucy Wench

I would not start the C25K yet.  I would work first on building up the length of your walks until you can walk for 30-45 minutes non stop at a fairly brisk pace--make it a workout.  At your current cardio fitness level this is going to do more for you than the initial C25K workouts (which are very short) with less risk of injury. When you can do that 3-4 days a week THEN start mixing in the C25K workouts (but frankly I would add additional walking time to the end to keep the total workout in the 45-60 minute range)

At this point your focus should be on 1) weight loss and 2) endurance.  Speed should be nowhere in the picture for quite some time.

At some point (not yet) you may want to look at elliptical or X-trainer for some of your workouts.  These would be pieces of equipment you could use to get in some higher intensity cardiovascular training with less pounding.  Once a week or so. 

I disagree with BuckeyeChamp on the reduction of the weight lifting.  Reduce weightlifting if necessary for a time constraint, but building lean muscle is one of the best things you can do for weightloss overall.  If you are at a low body fat and very bulked up like Ahhhhnold then you can look at dropping muscle.  You might want to reorder your weight workouts so you dont have legs on one of the harder C25K days etc.

and yes...the army is not known for good beginning runner training.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Congrats on the weight loss and all. Don't worry, I was in the same mindset as you when I first started running several years ago: I gotta get such and such a kickass time on my first PT test...What I did was I would do my normal 3.6 mile route at least 4x/week. (I rode horses for 12+ yrs so it wasn't too hard to just pick it up). I had a 2 mile semi flat stretch of road that once in a while I would try to do a practice PT test on to see where I was at. I just kept running that same stupid 3.6 mile stretch the whole summer.

Anyways, ended up getting a decent time on my first PT test, but DON"T WORRY, you will be taking a million and then some PT tests. You will ALWAYS have time to improve. Your first one does not have to be a brilliant 6 min/mile. There really aren't that many guys that can do a 12-13 min 2 mile run.That's not to say don't strive for that, I"m still aiming for that <14 min 2 mile, but with the way my injuries are going, it doesn't look plausible any time soon. Sad

How are your pushups and situps? Don't forget about those either. Situps usually are most of the guys's weak area.

So good luck with starting out, just remember that the only way to get that awesome 2 mile run time is to put in the miles and eventually your time will come down. I remember my times went from 16.30 2 mile back in high school when I first joined and my last PT test was a 15 flat. Hmm, actually I think I do need to work on that ha ha. But don't worry, just keep at it and your times will come down on their own.

RickyB

I run6+ days a week and I lift about 5 days a week, It helps to stay strong. change it up,lift less weight and do more reps. that will help with the weight loss as well.  keep running the more you run the easier it will get, just don't run to much to soon

Thanks for all the advice. And yea I know I should be starting slow, I have a tendency to want to push things a little further and its going to end up getting me hurt, so ill work on getting my walk distances up, the weather here is real nice now, so ill start doing my walks outside rather then on the tredmill, maybe the scenery will help with getting me to like running more.

As for the eliptical training, they do have alot of that at the gym, and my tredmill is one of those bowflex tredclimber machines, it only goes up to 4.0mph but it was a real nice incline and its pretty easy on the knees. My BF level is 36% i Believe, and I usually work out 4 days a week mon-tues wed off thurs-fri, weekend off.

As far as pushups im pretty strong, I can do 30 in a minute, I know it needs work but I found a nice pushup workout on the army forums that supposedly garuntees you can do 100 in like 1-2 months so ill start that as a side project. And abs ironically, I havent done a situp in quite some time, I mostly do the weighted machine situps at the gym to keep my core healthy for squats, so ill have to sit down and try one of those to see where im at.

As a for short term goal, I would really like to be able to do 2 miles non stop no walking at any time. Just to feel what its like to jog for that long and build up some stamina.

Running has always been my weakness, like I said im a results junky, and it always seemed that no matter how hard I pushed myself I never got much out of it, and always thought that after running progressively it would get easy like lifting lower weights does, and you wouldnt be tired. So I ended up just switching to walking because I could get the work out and go for pretty long distances. Someone once told me tho, that even if your still getting tired after running the same distance, your body is going a little faster each time and your actual making improvements, so maybe they were right. I know I love lifting, and if I could get that mentality with running aswell, or at least get to the point where I wasn't dreading it I could really complete this whole thing, and get this extra weight off for good before my metabolism shuts down to the point where I'm just adviced not to gain anymore.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck!   I HATED running, too, and couldn't even make it 90 seconds when I started.  It took me quite awhile, but I got up to 30 minutes straight with the C25K program (I had to repeat a lot of the weeks!).  Now I can go well over an hour with no difficulty.  The main thing is getting your run/walks in often and consistently.  And build up slowly.   Now I can't imagine my life without running, and several of my friends have started, also.  It's a blast!

Marylander

Here are a couple articles on lifting and dieting:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html

It can be tough to keep up the squat strength while running and dieting but at least DL doesn't take so much of a hit (at least for me).

Kirk

...---...

Bigpappanev - you're doing great things. And I agree with everything ENNAY said. I only would add (being a former Army and National Guard guy here) you'll probably be split up (in Basic) according to ability run groups from time to time - provided they're still doing that - so there is a building process...kind of. This will not be the case for every run day, however.

Once you've begun running, try to get your hands on the Army PT standards and shoot for the number of push ups, sit ups, and 2 mile run time minimums for your age group. Then use that as your benchmark. Genrerally, in Basic, you'll do push ups and ab work until muscle failure 3 times a week...not to mention all the other times you're told to drop and "beat your face." So stick with those weights!

And best of luck! I hope you make your weight soon and thanks for volunteering to defend us.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Mariposai

First of all, congratulations for having the courage to start. Running, as with any other form of physical activity, takes a certain amount of dedication, perseverance and a stubborness. Dedication to keep working at the goals you have in mind regardless on how big or how little  your improvements are. Perseverance to keep doing the right thing for your body over and over again, regardless of how energetic or how tired you are. Stubborness to overcome those "negative" outside influences who may question your sanity.

It seems like you have a lofty goal, which is great because that goal will push you thru the obsticles. Stick to your goals. Make sure you go slowly and don't increase your mileage too fast. By doing these you will be able to run longer and longer and faster and faster without injury.

Running fast or long is like building a house...you got to have a strong base  to build a sturdy house. Your base building stage should be done with much care and slowly in order to be able to be strong enough to endure the stress of speed workouts.

Anyway, these are my 2cents. I have ran 10 marathons (last one in 4:04),  many trail races and an ultra with these principles in mind and INJURY free. Yes, I am slow, but proud of my running.

Enjoy the gift of running!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I found the Couch to 5K program and that seems pretty good, but it also seems geared towards just distance, so do you think I should go with that and maybe  some kind of speed training program, or just focus on furthering myself along nicely on that program and worry about speed after ive built up some significant stamina?

I would not worry about any speed work at all until you can comfortably run 4 miles without stopping.  It may take you a year.  That sounds like a long time but you'll get faster just running more.  Trying to run all out won't help you until your body is ready for that kind of effort.  You are young and that helps.  But the body needs enough time to make adjustments to the increased stress.  And everything you do in running will be helped by dropping weight.  So keep it up.