Yaktrax Pro & Yeah MN runners!!! (Read 923 times)

Darla1

I ran for the first time this morning with my Yaktrax Pro.  Love, love, love the traction, wish I would have bought them years ago.  Just wondering if anyone else has anyone noticed how heavy they are?   I'm not sure if I was having a "heavy leg" day or if it was the Yaktrax's? 

On a side note, cheers to all of the MN runners!  We finally are going to have some morning temps above zero and I can NOT wait! 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep, they weigh a friggin't ton!  I feel like I can run a million miles an hour when I get to run without them this time of the year.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Nice, Darla.  Are you still aiming to chop 32 minutes from your marathon time this year?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Darla1

I'd really like to be faster and smash the heck out of my '09 marathon time.  Not happening with these darn Yaktrax, but they will be good training tools and I won't break a hip in the process!   Like Zoom Zoom said I'll just fly when I can take them off. (okay, maybe not fly...but go faster?!)  It has been sub zero in MN for so darn long, I'm anxious for some warmer temps (above zero) so I can hit it hard again.  Thanks for asking, how is your running going?
            Central MN runner here and I ran outside when it was -11 a week ago. The temp doesn't bother me, I just have to dress for it. I bought a pair of SportHill XC Zone 3 pants and they keep me plenty warm. The windchill will keep me indoors though, anything colder then -20 windchill keeps me off the road.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Central MN runner here and I ran outside when it was -11 a week ago. The temp doesn't bother me, I just have to dress for it. I bought a pair of SportHill XC Zone 3 pants and they keep me plenty warm. The windchill will keep me indoors though, anything colder then -20 windchill keeps me off the road.

Going pretty well, thank you. I pulled or strained a tendon in the back of my foot and got knocked out for a few weeks.  But I am slowly getting back into the game.  I am planning on a fall marathon, but we all know how it goes with mice and men. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I've been using the regular Taktrax, and they don't weigh much.  I've not had one come off yet even though they don't have a strap across the top of the foot.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

PaulJ

Santa brought me my first pair of YAKTRAX!  They're great for running in the snowy areas, no noticeable extra weight. 

pauly

Otium cum dignitate

On longer winter runs I often seem to leave and return on relatively dry pavement, but have at least several miles on icy roads in between. 

Are Yaktrax worth getting if sometimes as much as half of a run will be on pavement that's not icy or snow covered?

MojoJojo

YEAH MN RUNNERS!!!

I highly recommend not running on pavement with yaktrax as they're not really intended for patches with pavement (I found out the hard way when mine broke).  I'm around 190lbs though, so maybe that makes a difference.

I'd also recommend using velcro or at least tie some string to them in case they pop off -- I lost one a couple times and had to run back to find it.

I had another pair of spike-like shoe covers I liked better that gave a lot more traction.  I liked both overall, but haven't used them this season.

Now I just shorten my stride when I see ice and frequently run in water shoes (barefoot-like) so I've got more input from the ground.  I'm slow though... If I wanted to go faster I'd probably put on the spikes.  

Had to post-hole for a few miles yesterday... snow shoes would've been better Smile

keeponrunning

*creeper*

I'm not from MN, but we are just as snowy in Canada.  (most parts, at least)  Just wanted to say I have the Yaktrax Walker (sold out of Pro) and didn't notice any weight difference.  I did take them off when running on clear pavement (which I wasn't expecting to find) on my way to a tral.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

what are lions?

On longer winter runs I often seem to leave and return on relatively dry pavement, but have at least several miles on icy roads in between. 

Are Yaktrax worth getting if sometimes as much as half of a run will be on pavement that's not icy or snow covered?

a teammate suggested wearing a cycling jacket with a rear pocket, and stashing the yaktrax there when on snow/ice-free pavement. i tried it, and thought it was a great idea. if you wear a fuel belt, you could also clip them onto it.

i do find yaktrax 'heavy', and they bug my knees if i wear them for too many miles, esp on pavement. but better that than a nasty fall.

Otium cum dignitate

a teammate suggested wearing a cycling jacket with a rear pocket, and stashing the yaktrax there when on snow/ice-free pavement. i tried it, and thought it was a great idea. if you wear a fuel belt, you could also clip them onto it.

Taking them on and off may be a bit of a pain, but would be much preferable to running 15 miles in one mile loops through/around my paved neighborhood.   Thanks for the tip.

If it's all snow/ice and the snow is well packed (hard packed), screw shoes work a LOT better than YakTrax.  Great traction, they don't break, they don't fall off, and they weigh (and cost) a fraction of YakTrax. 

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

I just replaced my screws last weekend.  Cost me about $2. 

Darla1

I'm glad someone chimed in on the screws.  I wish I would have tried this.  Actually I think I still will, thanks for the suggestion.  

Burnt toast - do you think your tights are warmer the the Sugoi SubZero tights?   I also have been able to tough it out until about New Years Eve, then the temps just got the best of me.  I hate the treadmill and even with my heavy Yaktraks, I'm so happy to be back outside.  I run at 5:30AM, just a little light would help SO much too. Know what I mean?

NaderAlfie - glad to hear your foot is better.  I've had my share of injuries too.  Nothing more frustrating.   NOTHING!

Thanks everyone for sharing.  Glad to hear many of you do not notice the extra weight!