Mental Strength (Read 960 times)

Why is it sideways?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0404/1224244012141.html A very well written piece on Paul Tergat and the mental strength of the African runners.
    The majority of runners may have the talent, but you have to break through the pain barrier. That is where many people come down. When it comes to the marathon, when it comes to world records . . . You have to break through the pain barrier. And that comes from many hours of training, concentrating.
      I got chills.
      JimR

I got chills.
        are they multiply'in?
          That's an interesting article......Nice find Jeff

Champions are made when no one is watching

Agreed, good find! Thanks for sharing.
            kcam

are they multiply'in?
              or are they electrify'in?
              bhearn

Very nice. But... *how* do you "break through the pain barrier"? I have many hours of training and concentrating. But I don't think I really understand the mental aspect any better than when I started seriously running 5 years ago, nor am I any better at ignoring pain. Well, maybe a little better. But I'm not good at it. I guess I'm a slow learner. Do you have to already be a masochist to be a good runner? It's one thing to be motivated by knowing you have a shot at a world record. But average Joe runner has to be motivated by beating arbitrary lines in the sand that he knows will never come near anything really meaningful.

Why is it sideways?

I've thought about this some. I think that maybe what it means to break through the pain barrier is less a matter of masochistic seeking or enduring of intense pain and more a matter of learning through long practice that the intensity of effort and concentration that distance running takes is not painful at all. Maybe Tergat's analogy is bad. The arrow doesn't go through the wall, but instead goes elsewhere. In my experience, the painful races are the ones in which I have already begun to slow, because I went out too hard. The pain that I feel is the frustration of slowing, the realization of the distance between the body I have and the body I imagined. But does the well-run race hurt? I can't recall. My attention was elsewhere: on the runners around me. On keeping the rhythms working, on riding the thin line of absolute effort. These things constitute the mental strength of the runner: the power to concentrate on what is working and to ignore the rest. Just as the musician when practicing is often bored, so the runner when training is sometimes pained by his fatigue. But when it is time for the performance--if all goes well--there is no boredom, no pain. The best runners are not able to tolerate the most pain. They don't have to tolerate it; their attention is elsewhere. They do not notice the pain at all.
                    Yes! Concentrate. Focus. Even if you are beginning 5Kr, like I am. Your run will be so much more rewarding. Woods lady PS, I am a retired classical musician, and if you practice with the same focus as you perform, you will make it, and make all of it worthwhile. Smile
                    JimR

I bet Chuck Norris could run through the pain.
                        I bet Chuck Norris could run through the pain.
                        Chuck does all my stunts.
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

are they multiply'in?
                          Are you losin' control?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

In my experience, the painful races are the ones in which I have already begun to slow, because I went out too hard. The pain that I feel is the frustration of slowing, the realization of the distance between the body I have and the body I imagined. But does the well-run race hurt? I can't recall. My attention was elsewhere: on the runners around me. On keeping the rhythms working, on riding the thin line of absolute effort. These things constitute the mental strength of the runner: the power to concentrate on what is working and to ignore the rest.
                            Yes. My most painful races were poor ones -- the result of starting too fast and/or lack of conditioning.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

chill out

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.