Taper Madness!!!! (Read 603 times)

mb197314

Just a few more days until Shamrock. I felt ok during the last couple of weeks during the taper but this last week it has all come crashing down so to speak. My symptoms include: Tired, tired (dead) legs Confused Becoming a germ-a-phobe Feeling sluggish Anxious to get race day here and underway Feeling more tired in general Sleepy Feeling like I just want to hole myself up inside and not come out until race day Cry That's just to name a few. But the funny things is, my last few training runs have been the best ones since I began training for this thing. How do I get through this without losing my mind and driving those around me crazy?????
    HermosaBoy

What about the phantom aches and pains?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

mb197314

Not really phantom. Just the same ones that are usually there. Although some do feel a bitmore pronounced at this point....
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Somebody shared this with me a week or two before my first marathon...and I now I pay it forward: Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mb197314

Thanks Zoom. I really don't remember feeling like this before my first. But I was naive back then (2007).. I remember feeling anxious the first half of training for this one. But the anxious feeling over training passed, and now I am just going taper crazy...

Best Present Ever

me too. I'm questiong how much to taper, which is a bit late in the game given that the race is on saturday! I was going to run 5 miles this morning, but was yelled at yesterday by someone, so didn't run, now feel sorry I didn't run .... But I'm glad your recent training runs were good. My recent runs haven't been, so that's adding to my insanity now. I just keep reminding myself that any anxiety is just plain silly, becuase it doesn't really matter what happens during my race. Nothing important is riding on the performance of a back-of-the-mid-pack runner. I do like that cartoon though!
                Just a few more days until Shamrock. How do I get through this without losing my mind and driving those around me crazy?????
                Is Shamrock a Marathon or other distance?

Champions are made when no one is watching

mb197314

Is Shamrock a Marathon or other distance?
                  With an avatar like that you should know what it is? Wink Big grin Shamrock is actually an 8K on Saturday followed by a half and full marathon on Sunday....
                    Which one are you going to run?? Cause Im trying to figure out what to say about the taper

mb197314

Which one are you going to run?? Cause Im trying to figure out what to say about the taper
                      I don't think I would need to taper too much for an 8K....
                        You never know what people are doing or are going to try.........or what they think the ought to do...thus I ask the question so we can all know for sure. I just ran HALF (but im not an expert) but I dont think to much taper is requred. I know that I ran 20 miles during the week of my half which was on a Sunday (normally I run around 35 MPW)-- but I ran every day -- just a little less and a little slower, and then I took Saturday off from running - and felt fine for the race. My guess is you are tapering too much for this race distance. How many MPW do you normally run? and how much have you been running during your taper?