Ipod shuffle totally dead (Read 893 times)

I have a 2nd generation that is 3 years old. It shut off during a rainy run last week.  I can't get it to be recognized by Windows or Itunes, and I charged it with an AC adapter, but it doesn't seem to have any content on it anymore.  I tried all the 5R's (from the Apple site)  and a bunch of other recomended stuff I found on the internet, but still no good.  Do you think it is finally dead at 3 years old, or should I take time to go to the Apple store to see if they can help?
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      I use to run with the itouch to take advantage of the Nike+ system. However, on long runs the sweat destroy it. The Apple store replaced 5 itouch due to what I believe was water damage from sweat. There is a sensor that turns pink with it comes in contact with water. I got lucky because this sensor was white every time I got a replacement with one exception. I switched to the Shuffle and Garmin Forerunner and now don't worry about destroying another iTouch. Just keep in mind that water (sweat) and electronics don't mix. To answer your question. Go to the Apple store and see if they will replace it. If they say no, don't give up. Argue with them. This worked for me once when the sensor was pink.

Get Lost :)

You know, my iPod shuffle 2nd gen has been through some epic conditions, and I feel like I was fortunate to get away with water damage as long as I did. Perhaps the water damaged the electronics. Did it get soaked? If so, it likely won't be covered by warranty. I think they build in moisture sensors for this kind of thing.

Anyway, you can try to see if the Apple store will hook you up. It might be time to go find a refurb before they're all gone. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It might be time to go find a refurb before they're all gone. 

I have 2 2nd gen. Shuffles...one is older and was having some issues with the contacts and the headphones after a year or two.  I bought a second one maybe 6 months ago @ Target--still at full retail.  I was looking online the other night to see how many of the 2nd gens are left and pickings are looking slim.  Places that do have new ones are charging more than original retail and refurbs are going for full price.  Supply/demand.  Doesn't seem that the 3rd gen ones are too hot, which makes me wonder how long it is before Apple comes out with a 4th gen.  Perhaps they will call it the 2nd Gen. "Classic" and rerelease that model.  It was absolutely perfect for its intended demographic.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I agree that the 2nd generation is perfect.  I have a 2nd one also, but I have a totally different mix of music on it because I use it at work.  I think I'll try taking the broken one into the Apple store next time i'm near the mall, and see what they say.  I was looking at the 2nd gen. on Ebay - and yeah, they're going for pretty pricey prices for NIB !
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
            xor

I have had exactly two non-apple music players in the last 7 years. Cheap as or cheaper than shuffles.  With an FM radio. Almost daily use. They've been tanks.

Get Lost :)

I have had exactly two non-apple music players in the last 7 years. Cheap as or cheaper than shuffles.  With an FM radio. Almost daily use. They've been tanks.

Which ones, and do you know anything about their Mac support? All "Mac support" really means is:

1. Can they function basically as flash drives to be used on any platform? Drag and drop songs, etc.

2. Preferably for me anyway, do they support Advanced Audio Coding (AAC)?

an amazing likeness

Which ones, and do you know anything about their Mac support? All "Mac support" really means is:

1. Can they function basically as flash drives to be used on any platform? Drag and drop songs, etc.

2. Preferably for me anyway, do they support Advanced Audio Coding (AAC)?

Check out the Sansa Clip.

1. Yes

2. ?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Dave

Check out the Sansa Clip.

1. Yes

2. No

Looks like it might be the AAC license fee that has scared them off.  For about $20, you can buy a small adapter for the latest gen shuffles that gives you the controls on the headphone cord.  

I agree with Zoomie though about the 2nd Gen.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Looks like it might be the AAC license fee that has scared them off.  For about $20, you can buy a small adapter for the latest gen shuffles that gives you the controls on the headphone cord.  

I agree with Zoomie though about the 2nd Gen.

Yep.  I have a LOT of iTunes downloads.  For the price of the 3rd gen + adaptor a person could have 2 2nd gen. Shuffles.

I haven't heard of a single person who prefers the 3rd.  In fact, didn't someone just post that they shorted the headphones out with sweat?  I hope the 4th is better thought-out...like the 2nd.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

should I take time to go to the Apple store to see if they can help?

Yes, and then when the tech Genius looks at it with his ENT doctor toy and tells you it's dead, ask to speak to the manager.  The next step is crucial: Be very rational and very calm.  When he gets within 3 inches of your face, turn around and leave.  Do not clock him, no matter how disproportionate his body mass is to his courage.  Then, call 1-800-275-2273 and detail your story.  You will be offered a $30 discount on a purchase of $100 or more, which will expire 30 days thereafter.  During those thirty days, think about how stupid this settlement offer is.  Call that same number back. Explain. Your new iPod should arrive in 2-3 business days.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I went through 8 iPOD second gens in 8 months.  I am on my first $11 Nextar I bought at Toys R us.  The headphones were terrible so I bought some nice ones for $9.  Add about $2 for AAA batteries and my $22 investment has lasted about 4 months... or twice as long as any iPOD ever lasted me.  I'm never going back to Apple.   

If you have no warrenty then I doubt the Apple store is much use.  It may be dead.  But just try this as one last hope... put it in a bag of dry white rice for a day.  That might just suck a little moisture out of it.