Question for C25K Finishers (Read 1055 times)

I've been running just over a year now, I did c25k in the designated 9 weeks, but my 5k time was 38min the first time around. i havent done once since, but i know i'm a LITTLE bit faster now. but i still like to stay at an 11min/,ile pace usually. i just wanted to finish it without stopping, which i did however, now when i go out, i usually always walk for about 3 minutes evey time i hit a mile (or sometimes a little less). i'm not so concerned about the not walking thing anymore...it used to bother me, but its not a big deal - please dont feel likeyou HAVE to conform to something everyone else does. thats how you get hurt and that will definitely slow any of your progress down dramatically! so maybe you should drop the marathon thoughts for a very long time - you will be no where near ready for quite a while.

De-slacking in progress

I'm in week 8- I can do the 5K distance COMFORTABLY in 27-28 mins. It just seems like a nice natural pace for me ( 9-9:30mm). I have to force myself to slow down. C25K is for distance OR time- not both. As you've read- everyones experience is as differant as our body compositions are. I need to add milage to my runs. What motivates me was signing up and pay for a local 5K race 4 months ahead of time. Hopefully I'll be really ready in 5 weeks. Reading everything on differant forums helps keep me motivated also.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Uh, Slaptear, if you can already run 5k in 27 to 28 minutes, I think you're ready right now for the race, lol! Some of us will never be that fast.

De-slacking in progress

Uh, Slaptear, if you can already run 5k in 27 to 28 minutes, I think you're ready right now for the race, lol! Some of us will never be that fast.
          FAST ? nobody ever called me that before Big grin Actually I feel I'm just doing a glorified jog. Running that pace now in the cool weather and in training mode is I'm sure going to be much differant than running in hot and humid weather. Time will tell. Just knowing I can break my inital 30 min goal has me excited.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

skinnycaponesugar

It makes to of us, I think you're pretty fast for a newbie Cool I finished C25K in March, I didn't feel the need to repeat any of the sessions. In the end I wasn't able to go as far as 5K in 30 mins. The fastest I have done 5K is 34 mins, I think...I am getting faster bit by bit, however I really enjoy my slow pace. The beauty is in the journey, for me Big grin

Love, Run, Sleep

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I completed it back in Sept 07 then in late dec/jan I stopped running and I'm back on week 4 doing it over again! BUT when I orginally completed I was running a 10:30-11mm and I could easily run the 30 mins without stopping, I was training for the OHR program after I graduated and was running up to abotu 45 mins within a few weeks. It took me almost 4 months to complete the C25K program due to breathing issues.
              -Jen
              2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
              meaghansketch

Hi! I'm another Canadian 'Meg' (born in Ottawa, raised in Montreal) though I've been living in the states for several years. I finished C25K in March of 2006. It took me 10 weeks because I repeated week 5 (the 20 minute run on W5D3 got me). At the end of the program, I could run the full 30 minutes without walking, but I didnt get quite 3 miles. My first 3-mile times were in the 36 minute range. In the two years between then and now, I've built up my running to about 30-35 mpw, although I've been somewhat inconsistent with my training. I don't enter a lot of races (trying to change that) and I've never run a chip-timed 5K, but at a 4-mile race I ran a couple weeks ago, my 5k split was about 28:55.
                colinw

I started the C25k in March of this year, and I completed it right around 9 weeks, maybe a bit shorter as I sometimes did more than the 3 rusn per week. By the end I was able to run 5k in about 28-29 minutes, so I was happy with that. Since then I started One Hour Runner, and I am on Week 5 now and can run for about 40 minutes straight, covering nearly 7k. I am hoping to cover 10k in an hour by the time I am finished the program. I think if you feel the need to repeat weeks go for it. I know one of the toughest weeks in c25k was the first 20 minute run. I remember thinking that I would never be able to jump from the 5 minute run to 20 and I was (and am) shocked that I could do it. I felt a great sense of accomplishment afterwards and sometimes still think about it when I don't feel like running. Follow the program as it is laid out and if you finish a week and feel that it was really really hard and you couldn't possible run again that week, repeat the week you just finished and you'll be fine to move ahead next week. When I started I could barely complete the 60 second run, and now I am going 40+ minutes without stopping, and I feel great. Good luck.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

TRIing to beat the heat!

I began the C25K program in mid-December of 2007 and finished it at the end of February 2008, if I remember correctly. I did not repeat any weeks and I actually considered week 9 to sort of be the first week that I was on my own, rather than the last week of the program. I did start the program after taking aerobics classes 3x per week for the previous 6 months, so I had somewhat of an aerobic base. I ran my first 5K in mid-February during week 8 of C25K and finished in 32:03. I ran my second 5K on March 16th (not quite a month after finishing the program) and finished in 28:19. I haven't run another 5K since (they sort of seem to be out of season down here); however, I did compete in a triathlon in May and my run time split was similar to my March race pace... and this is after a swim and a bike portion... so I'm sure I've improved even more. I include fartlek runs in my training now as well as long runs. Mileage per run varies from 2 miles all the way up to 8 miles. I try my best to get in 15 to 20 miles per week. I can't wait to run another 5K this fall! Keep up the great work everyone! I spread the C25K word to everyone I know who is interested in running. ETA: There is one thing that I wanted to highlight that I learned after completing C25K as the result of doing more running research: I desperately needed to slow my pace down in order to continue to build an endurance base. When I was doing C25K, I was trying to maintain between a 9:30 and 10 min/mile pace all the time. When I started building mileage and tried to maintain that same pace, I ended up with a hip injury that sidelined me to using only the elliptical for 2 weeks. When I was able to return to running, I slowed MOST of my runs down to an 11 to 12 min/mile pace (except for fartlek work) and THAT's when I dropped the nearly 4 minutes off of my 5K time! I still do most of my runs at an easy pace (which these days means between 10 min/mile and 11 min/mile) and only speed-up during fartlek or tempo runs. Just some food for thought. Big grin

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

markc123

I started in Jan 08, and followed the program for 6 or 7 weeks. On the session that called for 20 mins continuous I just felt good and went the full 30 mins to do 5k. It worked and my shin splints didnt come back (crippled last time I tried running in 2k6) so I started running 5km 2-3 times a week. I always trained at 10 kmh from the off. One funny thing was I used my home treadmill set on max incline (cheap job, flat and 2 incline settings). Once I realised that most people suggest 1-2% incline I dropped it and suddenly things got easier ;-). I ran my first 3 mile race after 10 weeks in 26 something, and have done 2 5km race as part of sprint tris this month - the best being 23:09 which shocked me. I was aiming for 25! I am unsure where to go now - I can run 12km at 10 min miles. My races this year are now tri's with big hills and 10 mile runs, so I should start on speed work and hills. However the temptation to train for an October marathon is still there. Decisions decisions.

Speediest Slug There Is!

I just finished Week 6 Day 3 of the C2K5 today. I started in Mid April. I started very very out of shape, and found even the 90 second runs challenging initially. However, I was willing to do the program as written, going for time, not distance, and I never had to repeat a single day--in fact, since I've been running 4-5 days a week lately, I got ahead in the program. I've been consistently amazed as each week is accomplished, that it's actually possible. This program is practically flawless in its ability to build endurance and confidence--perfect for new runners. I was terrified I wouldn't be able to do that 20 minute run at the end of Week 5, but I did because I took it slow. Having said that, I finally met my maker in week 6 when I noticed my slow pace and decided to try going for distance instead. Week 6 Day 2 was flawless and comfortable (2 miles separated by .25 miles walking.) I got overexcited and cocky. I ran 3 days in a row over Memorial Day weekend, and on Week 6, Day 3, which was supposed to be 2.25 miles, I completely lost all steam and ended up stumbling in at 1.7 miles, well below my distance goal. I could not go on. I wasn't even jogging at the end, I was staggering and limping. (I pushed myself to do at least the time goal of 25 minutes, but I was going for distance, not time.) I learned a huge lesson about pacing and about burnout, and took a day off to rest and do some strength training exercises. I went on the track today quite discouraged but willing to attempt Week 6, Day 3 a second time. Went very, very slow, and it was intense... but I made the 2.25 miles distance goal (and blew past the time goal by 9 minutes.) I could have gone on a bit. The next week is supposed to be 2.5 miles every day. I think from here on out I'll probably be able to continue as long as I keep my pace slow. The program is definitely intended to be time OR distance, not both. I'm getting a lot more of a challenge going for distance vs. time. I personally think the program is completely doable and very well designed as long as you don't push yourself ahead too far. I encountered no problems whatsoever until the program stopped the walking/running intervals and jumped right into the running nonstop. I'm keeping up with the program but running 15 minute miles. It still feels like a victory though. Big grin
                        Fall seven times, stand up eight.
                        Goals:
                        *Complete a 5K (no walking)
                        Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
                        *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
                        *15 mpw base
                          I agree with RacingSlug. Distance vs. time makes a big difference on the program - at least for slower runners like me. I did the C25K by time the first time around (last spring). Since I run very slow, I wasn't even coming close to the 5K distance, so I went into the One Hour Runner program afterwards. Eventually I got to where I could run for about 6 miles at a time - but that took me about an hour and 20 minutes. (See? I'm slow!) Then I got a minor hip injury which should have only sidelined me for a few weeks, but those weeks turned into months, and now I'm back at the C25K again, but I started at week 5 and this time around I'm going for distance instead of time. I'm able to do the full 3 miles now, but it takes me close to 40 minutes. Eek. But it's better than walking and I'm working towards longer distances. My short little legs weren't built for speed anyhow, so I'm trying not to get discouraged.
                          -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
                          theyapper

On the road again...

I'm 2 weeks away from being done with the C25K program and have repeated only Week 7. The leap from 8 minutes of running to 20 minutes killed me, and I took my time the next week building up to the no walking requirement. Even when I walked, though, I kept a pretty quick pace, though it was comfortable for me. Now, I'm running 25-28 minutes straight at around a 10 min/mile pace.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I finished C25K three months ago. I didn't repeat any workouts. I ran for time, because it was easier to measure -- I used the podcasts you'll find if you Google for it. I'm still ridiculously and embarrassingly far from running 3 miles in 30 minutes. Hahaha. You're killing me. Cry
                                Hallo, I started my C25K in January 2007, I was running on time, so I'm not so sure whether I did the 5 km on 30 min. What I do remember is how hard the first weeks were (afterwards I realized that I was just running far too fast). Then after finishing it, I kept adding 10% volume every second week, did a few 10k-15k races, in autumn 2007 did my first HM, in March 2008 my second one, and right now I'm running 80km/week while finishing the preparation for my first marathon in 3 weeks from now Smile And yes, following the C25K was one of my best decisions in the last years. Running just makes me feel soooo goood Big grin

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR