10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

10K Goals! (Read 1510 times)

Marquess of Utopia

I wanted to propose the question: “What is you goal for the 10K?” I was thinking that if you let other poeple know, that you would be more likely to hold yourself to that goal.
    Goal for next 10K: To run faster than my last 10k. (sub 39:31) 10K Goal for 2008: Run a 37 min 10K Someday: WinkRun a sub 35 min 10K

Dog-Love

Good idea!! I definitely want to get faster next year, but we have just started our winter and although I run through the winter outside with cleats, I don't really do anything but maintain some aerobic base. This year my 5K time PR was 25:50 and my 10K PR time was 56:27. I am almost 50 and in my 20's my 10KPR was something like 44:00. I would really like to run a sub 50 10K. Someday I would like to run a sub 48:00 10K. I know old people can run fast In Juneau, our first 10K race is the end of March and everyone is usually just seeing what they can do. On the other hand it is flat flat flat and all the other ones in the year are hilly.
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        joe - should they by any chance be 39:31 and 37mins? my current PR is 49:38. there is a 10k in february where i'd like to go under 48mins and longer term i'd like to aim for under 45mins.

Marquess of Utopia

joe - should they by any chance be 39:31 and 37mins? my current PR is 49:38. there is a 10k in february where i'd like to go under 48mins and longer term i'd like to aim for under 45mins.
          Shocked Thanks! I don't know what I was thinking. Big grin
          In Juneau, our first 10K race is the end of March and everyone is usually just seeing what they can do. On the other hand it is flat flat flat and all the other ones in the year are hilly.
          I would say continue with your tempo runs, slowly increase your mileage with winter; Then mid February try to get in some intervals 1000’s, 1600’s, and 2000’s. Aim high for something like 50 min if you can get in a few repeat miles @ 8min or less. I'm not an expert but that's what I would do.
          RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

My PR of 39:35 was back in 2005 and I've yet to repeat a sub 40 min effort. Either this was a magical race or the certified course was short. This year my 10miler pace was faster than my 10k pace... I got lucky with cooler weather on the 10 miler. So, my goal is to be below 40 mins, somewhere around 39:20 but I want to be in the 38s. Utilimately I want to average a 6mpm pace.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

I just joined the group today and thought that this thread looked like the most logical place for my first post. I was a regular on the CR forums where I started the “Sub 40 Goal 10k Goal Thread” for the past 2 years. After more than 2 ½ years of trying I finally got my sub-40 this year in August when I ran 39:36. A month later I lowered it by another 4 seconds by running 39:32 at the National Masters 10k in Paso Robles CA. I will turn 62 in February. For 2008 my “pie in the sky” goal would be a sub-39, but I would be happy to beat my 39:32 best that I ran this year. Other than that I enjoy sharing anything I’ve learned during my 29 years of running that might help other runners to reach their goals. I have strong feelings about the 10k distance, but will save those comments for the “Why 10k Group” thread that I see listed on the board.
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Dog-Love

I read in a recent post that its not lack of talent that holds us back but lack of training. My goal which I thought might be lofty for this 49+ runner was a sub 50 10K. But maybe I should be really looking at faster weekly runs (intervals) an look towards a sub 48 10K. My fastest in my 20's was 42:22 but I didn't really train. I am thinking 2008 will be more of a training year. We shall see. I will look foward to all and any tips
                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  Crabby; regarding: “In a recent post that its not lack of talent that holds us back but lack of training” While both training and talent have a lot to do with becoming a fast runner, there isn’t anything we can do to improve our talent, but there is a whole lot we can do with training. From what I’ve seen from posts on various forums, the vast majority don’t come close to reaching their potential due to lack of training. It’s amazing how much we can improve if we have the willingless to put in the effort, and are fortunate enough to be healthy and have the time to do so. In your case I would recommend that you gradually increase the number of miles you run rather than making a conscious effort to speed things up. For sure we need to do some quality runs, but a high percentage should be at a relaxed, comfortable pace. As you become fitter the speed will come naturally without you having to force it. Probably the most critical element in any runner’s success is putting together long strings of solid training. This means remaining relativiely free of injuries. We are all an experiment of one, but I have found that I get the most bang for the buck from more threshold type workouts rather than hard running at goal pace and faster. The key workoouts for me have been 1. Long runs (25%-33%) of weekly total. 2. 1600-meter intervals on the track at no faster than current 10k race pace wth a 200-meter recovery jog between each. More than half the time they have been at HM pace, and some have been 1000’s and 1200’s. 3. Longer tempo runs (8k-10k) between half marathon and marathon pace. From the above, almost every week would include the long run, but only one of the two others. Races would take the place of one of the key workouts. All other days would be at an easy or slow pace (very important). For me “easy” averages out to about 2 minutes a mile slower than current 10k race pace, and “slow” is...well…slower than that. I would place a strong emphasis on basing workouts on current fitness level rather than goal. I haven’t always done this but have been amazed at how well it works since I have. I’m not saying that we never run harder, but it only takes a very small percentage of total volume to put the “edge” on. This is espcially true as we get older. And finally, if we are not running many miles to start with, we have to build up gradually to some of these workout loads. You don't want to start in from the beginning doing 5-6 times a mile on the track or 10k tempo runs. Btw, I am certain you can run 48 minutes for 10k and in all probabilty a lot faster than that, if you can find the time to train and avoid setbacks. Considering that you “didn’t really train” when you set your PR’s while in your 20’s, it is possible that you could approach the times you ran then.
                  Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Dog-Love

Sounds good. I am currently at around 20 miles a week and while training for a marathon last year it was closer to 35-40 miles/week. I have to admit that I don't run those long runs these days but anything under 15K feels pretty darn good. My easy runs are at about 9:50 but I can go slower too! I will probably start those 1200 or 1600 as you point out in March and see how it goes. I tried to look at your log but it is not yet imported? I have the same sort of plan for my training 1) 1 long slow run 2) track work 3) 2-easy runs of moderate length My first chance at a race (10K) is end of march so its a good starting point. Thanks for the advice
                      Sherry, I track my day-to-day runs on an Excel log that I created and keep on my computer. I’ve never kept one online until I registered with RunningAhead a couple days ago. I will probably start tracking my daily runs here on January 1. For now I have entered recent PR’s, shoes, and some courses. So far this year I’ve run a little over 2700 miles, for an average of about 53 mpw. Most of my workouts have been of the threshold variety that I told you about. I’ve also had 32 races, including ten 10k’s, one 10 miler, one half marathon, and one marathon. All the rest were shorter races. This about the same mileage I ran during my best years when I was in my 40’s. I don’t find it any more difficult to get the miles in now than I did back then—I just can’t run them as fast. As an Alaska resident you have it a lot tougher than we do here in Northern Cal. It might be difficult for you run the miles that you would need to race your best. To be honest, I don’t think you can come near what you are capable of on 20 mpw. I’ve run across a couple guys on one of the forums who live in areas that have hard winters. They supplement their running with cross country skiig which is probably the best form of cross training there is for runners. If you could do something like that it would bump your fitness up a lot. In looking at the race results in your log it is clear to me is that you need to work on endurance more than anything. Your short race times are noticeably better than your longer ones. Even from 5k to 10k there is a gap. I would say that the mileage you ran to train for that marathon would be the minimum for what you would need to run a good 10k. So many less experienced runners think that that you don’t need to run many miles to run in shorter races--and you don’t if all you care about is finishing. However, it takes plenty of mileage to race well even if the race distance is only a mile. I don’t want to discourage you—just trying to be honest. You are doing all you need to improve your health and get some enjoyment out of your running. There are only 2 reasons I can think of for running the miles that I do and they are to race faster and/or because you want to. I probably wouldn’t run as much as am now if it wasn’t for the racing, and there have been several years that I haven’t run much since I started many years ago. I just got back into serious training about 3 years ago after being an occasional jogger through most of my 50’s. Ok. Enough out of me for now…maybe this group will come back to life as we move into the new year.
                        hi jim, welcome to RA - and thank you for a thought provoking contribution. thats a fantastic 10k PR for a guy in his 60s - in fact for anyone. i'm both impressed and slightly green with envy Wink i'm now 6 and 1/2 weeks from my goal 10k and well into training. i agree with what you say to crabby about mileage - i've been increasing mine slowly since taking up running again in feb last year and most weeks are now in the 45-55kms range (28-34miles). i'd be looking to do some race pace work so i'll be giving your 1600m reps a go in the coming weeks as i try and get ready for the 10k (you don't mention how many of them you might do in a session?) i'm still on target i think to break 48mins - perhaps even a bit faster if all goes to plan. my PR is 49.38 from august last year. Mandy

Dog-Love

Well I may actually learn something and take this to heart this next year. Not at all discouraged by all of the comments, just trying to figure out how to get it all in. I'll see if I can't include a couple of 6-9 milers 2x a week and a long slow one on Saturdays. The weather in AK is challenging but doesn't keep us from running long and slow. It is challenging to get fast runs in in the snow but still, there is the dreadmill. I found 40 mile weeks OK but my husband was noting my absence. Oh well. I'll try for over 25 consistently through the winter. We shall see how the spring training goes. Mandy...I am watching your progress and I think you are an inspiration. Don't know how old you are, but we have both lost some weight and are running faster. I still want to drop 5Kg this year. Lots of goals
                            hi crabby - i'll be 34 in a few weeks time. not quite a vet yet Smile i'm also looking to drop another 6kg in the new year so we'll have to look out for each other. i'm lucky in that my husband runs 40-50 mile weeks which does help! i can't imagine he's ever going to worry about the amount i'm running.

Just Be

Hi, all! Just joined. I'd like to run a sub 35 before July of 2008, and be under 30 minutes by the end of 2009. Right now my PR is 42:16, but that was set on December 8th of this year. I could probably run a sub 40 at this point, but I will not attempt another PR until about the 10th of Jan, '08. Best of luck to all of you!
                                Thanks Mandy, Regarding the 1600's I would say to start with 3 of them at about 8 minute pace, and take a half lap recovery jog if you will be doing them on a track. I'm basing the time on your most recent 10k. Even if you believe that you are in better shape now, you can't go wrong by basing your workout on your best recent time. The feeling you are looking for is "comfortably hard". Resist the temptation to go faster, even if you know you can. With the mileage you are doing, 3 miles of intervals seems about right whether they be 1000's, 1200's, or 1600's. Make sure you warm up good-at least 2 miles, and take another mile or 2 to cool down. Again, I'm not saying there's not a place for harder aneorobic workouts, but I would say to put that off until you develop that lactic threshold to a high level. Even then you don't need to do as much aneorobic work as some people would lead us to believe. You can improve for months, just by doing this kind of stuff. Good luck and keep posting. Jim