1500 Miles So Go Run

2022 April - Race Season begins!! (Read 7 times)

kcam

Good call on just getting some rest instead of a speedwork on no sleep.  Plenty of time for recovery if you do it tomorrow.  Keep on pluggin'!

HappyFeat

Lightening, thunder, hail so thick it looks like snow on the ground. Looking out the window is as if looking through a lace curtain. Thick hail.

Was trying to get out the door for my run, but I do believe I'm better off on the treadmill.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

jeffdonahue

So no long run this weekend.  I had planned on 8 but then realized it was Easter and that just doesn't happen on holidays - too much to do. I got in about 4 or so on Saturday and just one mile on Sunday.

So now probably just a few 5 milers this week to keep the legs moving and fresh - maybe some strides.  Plan for a 2 mile shake out run the day before the HM and then race day.

It looks like my daughter may not be running - she's still feeling the effects of mono, but is going to play it by ear this weekend.

HappyFeat

Good luck in your race tomorrow, Jeff! Hope you have a great day!

jeffdonahue

Thanks.  I just got back - it was rougher than I hoped it would be.  I went out around 8:00 pace and it felt comfortable(ish) so I just tried to stick to my plan and run by feel.  I had a few miles early in the race that dropped into the 7 range but after mile six they were all right around 8mpm.

A few things threw me off mentally during this race.  At mile 6 I grabbed some water and didn't fold the cup properly and got a ton up my nose.  I had to stop to choke for a few seconds and since the water stop was on a hill I had trouble getting the feel of my pace back for a bit.

There was one section of the race around mile 3 and mile 11 where the race jutted down a dead end road and we did a U-turn at the end and came right back.  Now, according to the map on the website we were only supposed to go down this road on the way out and we would bypass it on the return route.  However, nobody informed the race volunteers because they had us go down this a second time on the way back.  Now, I had mapped out the route on mapymyrun.com prior to the race and going down this street once got us to exactly 13.1 miles so I knew something was off.

Because of that a few miles later, my watch dinged for the 13 mile mark on my GPS when I knew I was nowhere near the end of the race.  About two minutes later I passed their 13 mile mark and then the finish line.  My GPS had me at 13.35 - which I confirmed with 3 other people.

So their official time was 1:46:37 but my garmin had my half marathon at 1:44:51 which is about where I felt my fitness was (though we always hope we're a little faster).

But overall, I feel like I wasn't as prepared as I could have been.  I think i really needed a few more 14+ mile runs in my repertoire to really nail this distance.

But, it's done and now I have about 5 weeks until my next 5K that is sponsored by my company.  Plan to take a few days off in the beginning of the week to rest up the sore legs.

HappyFeat

Way to go, Jeff! Sounds like you had the pacing piece dialed in. Just curious - do you feel like you needed more over-distance runs in your buildup for stamina? or mental prep?

Bummer about the volunteers mis-directing the runners :-(   That kind of thing always infuriates me.

I did a tiny 5K once where the volunteers at the turnaround couldn't tell me for sure if that WAS the turnaround! As it happened, most people were doing the 10K and I was the first of the 5K runners.  So I ran the whole way back worrying that I had turned around too soon.  I never did find out, but I got first place and a homemade apple pie for my effort.

My long run was a no-go today for multiple reasons. I came home after 5 miles and will round up to my 30 for the week later on.

kcam

Poor course management is very, very annoying.  Powered through it, though, nice work.  I figure if I get through a race training cycle and I'm not injured when it's all said and dine- it's a success!   Recover well and then a little 5K work, Jeff?

Happyfeat, I bet that apple pie was dee-lish!

I raced an 8K this morning.  We had awesome weather clear and about 55 at the gun.  I thought, on a very very good day I might be able to break below 35 minutes.  Though the day was excellent I missed 35 by 7 seconds.  35:07.  But I finished very strong.  I'll take it!

HappyFeat

Congrats on a super strong race, kcam!!

Yes - and apple pie is my favorite!   Wish I had some today as consolation for a lousy "long run day," Bailed on my outdoor run due to GI issues and finding running very hard this morning. Finished up just now on the TM because I wanted my 30 for the week. Was nearly impossible to keep HR below 200 and sweat buckets the whole time - despite some walk breaks to try and turn things around.  Whatever's going on needs to be over - now!

jeffdonahue

NIce job kcam.  Way to finish that strong.

Happyfeat, I would say both to that question.  I think I mentally would have felt a bit better with some more training, and I didn't feel as good in the last 2 miles as I would have - got passed by quite a few people that still had some in the tank.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Agreed re lax race management. That's the #1 thing that throws me off. Way to persevere!

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
                      5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10