1500 Miles So Go Run

2022 January - Happy New Year! (Read 18 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Today's 5k was another -40* windchill run. I've only had 3 runs this month that were warmer than -40. I really look forward to warmer running weather and getting back in sync with the bunny. I signed up for a late April half marathon today as I try not to worry about how bad my current mileage is.

Thanks, Meg and Jeff.

I looked at the streak group. That is super impressive Jeff and Meg!  Besides the fact that there is a guy who has run 14yrs,2days without missing a day what's interesting to me is that there are only12 folks out of 110 in the group with significant streaks.  You guys/gals are dedicated.  The longest streak I've ever done was 92 days, which occurred over 2020/2021.  I joined the group.  Question:  does a treadmill mile count as 'running'?

Yes, treadmill counts.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

jeffdonahue

Now that I'm getting up there in age, a LOT (read as MOST) of my running in the winter months is done on the treadmill.  I've hit black ice (and regular ice) too many times and fallen and hurt myself.   And I just don't heal as quickly as I used to.

I also just signed up for a late April HM to run with my daughter - so depending on whether we actually run together or not will depend my pace in that race.  She just likes to go along at her 12mpm run, but when I get to races my competitive side usually takes over.

I also just signed up me and all my kids for the www.terrainrace.com race in Boston - registration was free (okay $13 for some fee, but we get a T-shirt).

Yes, treadmill counts.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Looks like fun!

My schedule is still wacky from frequent short travel (visit elderly parents, take kid back to college), so I ended up with 2 days in a row off this week. I usually stagger them, so we'll see how I feel on Sunday!

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
        5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

jeffdonahue

Was planning on 5 today, only did 1.

On my Nordictrack treadmill I have iFit and they are having a challenge right now to complete all 4 marathons (London, Chicago, Boston and New York) by the end of March.  I did the first section of Boston on Sunday and was planning to do part 2 today, but I did a pretty hard interval workout yesterday and my legs were kind of tired this morning so I slept in instead and just got my mile in.  Also, I stayed up later than usual last night watching football with my wife and I think I just needed a bit of extra sleep too.

But this falls into my 2022 plan of running what feels right for each day instead of trying to rigorously stick to my plan.  Still need to work out a general plan to make sure I get all the marathons in, but I still have a couple months.  Each marathon is made up of about 8 workouts though so that's 30 more workouts I need to get in over the next two months.

So I'm still behind the bunny a bit for the year, but I start my HM training in a few weeks and the long runs alone should start to get me over my weekly goal and get me back on track.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Good plan! The iFit marathons sound fun!
            What appeals to me about an annual goal like this is the flexibility. I was worn out last week and ran fewer miles than usual, but this week I'm refreshed and feeling good--and the bunny and I are simply leapfrogging right now.

Was planning on 5 today, only did 1.

On my Nordictrack treadmill I have iFit and they are having a challenge right now to complete all 4 marathons (London, Chicago, Boston and New York) by the end of March.  I did the first section of Boston on Sunday and was planning to do part 2 today, but I did a pretty hard interval workout yesterday and my legs were kind of tired this morning so I slept in instead and just got my mile in.  Also, I stayed up later than usual last night watching football with my wife and I think I just needed a bit of extra sleep too.

But this falls into my 2022 plan of running what feels right for each day instead of trying to rigorously stick to my plan.  Still need to work out a general plan to make sure I get all the marathons in, but I still have a couple months.  Each marathon is made up of about 8 workouts though so that's 30 more workouts I need to get in over the next two months.

So I'm still behind the bunny a bit for the year, but I start my HM training in a few weeks and the long runs alone should start to get me over my weekly goal and get me back on track.

jeffdonahue

Part 5 of the Boston marathon today - the Newton Hills.  Those sucked.  Now, I've run Boston before, and I've run the Newton hills several other times as well and I have to say that I think running them in person is not as hard as running them on the treadmill.  Trying to run on a treadmill when the incline is at 11.5 is just awkward.  Plus, when running hills in real life your body can just automatically adjust it's speed as it gets harder.  But the treadmill kept me at a steady speed, I had to guess what a comfortable speed was going to be for running at that weird incline.

Planning to finish up Boston on Friday or Saturday this week.  Looks like we are getting 12+ inches of snow here on Saturday so running outside will not be happening for a while I think.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

I'm intrigued by your tm virtual runs! At least it keeps it interesting. 
                I don't have a tm, but would like one.

jeffdonahue

I really like the iFit workouts.  They have a trainer running with you, telling you stories, running tips and cheering you on.  But they also have music and you can turn down or up the volume on both - so sometimes when I just need to focus on a hard part I'll turn down the volume on the trainer and up on the music for a bit.

Plus you can see some really pretty parts of the world that I will more than likely never get to.

I'm intrigued by your tm virtual runs! At least it keeps it interesting. 
                  I don't have a tm, but would like one.

jeffdonahue

So today wraps up January - how is everyone feeling?  How'd your month go?

Overall I felt pretty good this month.  I kept to my plan for the whole month - had my plan (which is a modified 5K training plan) with relatively lower mileage than I usually would do.  But the lower mileage allowed for me to get in 1-2 speed session (interval or tempo) each week, which felt really good as I haven't done much speedwork in the last year.

I totaled 123 miles with weeks ranging between 25-31 miles and while there were days I didn't muscle through a run when I didnt feel like it I felt better about myself by stopping when my body told me to.  Today is a good example.  I had 3 miles planned, but my legs were really beat up from my runs and a LOT of shoveling (24 inches of snow), so when I got on the treadmill I ran a mile, then walked for about 10 minutes to keep them loose.  At that point they were feeling better so I ran a second mile and then walked another 5 minutes, then stopped and stretched.

So far so good - the 5K plan ends next week and I'll do a test 5K run if I can to get a base number I can use to plan out my HM training which will start the week after.  For the HM I plan to cut down to 1 speed session per week but also start to increase my long run.

Hope everyone is well.

Jeff

jeffdonahue

Today was a mistake.  After the rough tempo run yesterday i really should have taken a day off/rest day today.

But I am working from home so I hopped on the treadmill and when I turned it on - up popped the next section of the London Marathon in my iFit challenge.  It was also the last portion of the London marathon so I decided to run it - an hour long run with a few inclines but I could feel how tired my legs were in the last couple miles of the run.

Now my quads are shot and I'm exhausted and wishing I had just run my mile and gotten off.

Tomorrow - 1 mile to rest.

I'll try to do a longer run on Sunday though because Sunday afternoon my wife and I are heading up to VT for a few days and I'll probably have to run outside up there and I have no idea what condition the roads are in so I'm expecting my runs will be relatively short most of next week.  There is a small gym with a treadmill but it is not a very good treadmill and I don't think I've ever run more than 2 miles on it.