1500 Miles So Go Run

2022 September - Fall is coming (Read 8 times)

HappyFeat

Anyway, here's my lifemap:

WOW! Very impressive! Having grown up in San Francisco, I'm quite familiar with your territory -- though not from running it!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

HappyFeat

Top of foot pain has kept me from running for 4 weeks now.

Getting a correct diagnosis is paramount. Just curious if it came on suddenly or did it evolve over time?

HappyFeat

I did get my MRI result - went to the Chiro on Tuesday and the MRI shows a "bilateral hamstring tendonosis" which makes me think there might be some hope to get rid of it completely somehow.

Just want to add a big Hurray that apparently the problem is not coming from your back, right? There's a plethora of posts on RA on hamstring tendonosis for sure - should you want to go down that road. TChuck seems to be a good resource too.

I've had my share of hamstring issues over the years which turned out to be from what we'll call "lazy" glutes which caused the hams to overwork. Actually the glutes got "turned off" as a protective mechanism to stabilize my back getting bucked off a horse and impacting my low back. The trauma turned off my multifidus - tiny spine stabilizers. Finally found a genius PT who diagnosed the problem and got them turned back on after 8 long years.  Now my maintenance routine is massage of any tight spots with tennis ball or larger ball, stretching, leg swings (dynamic stretch) before running, and most important - glute activation before running.

I guess all that to say, finding the root cause of the hams being overworked and fixing that underlying issue will be key.

Ohh that brings to mind an episode prior to the horse incident! Sorry to go on and on, but you never know what might turn on the light, right?

I had an experience of increasing hamstring pain and tightness over a few months that eventually inhibited my ability to take a step forward walking. A different genius PT evaluation discovered a knot in my back (think QL trigger point) which was sending a signal to the belly of the hamstring to create it's own debilitating knot. Had to work on both knots (massage and stretching) to achieve success. Then I was good to go until the horse bucked me off about 10 years later.

kcam

So no fracture.  All of the bones in my foot are healthy and normal.  Doctor thinks it's Extensor Tendinitis.  I'm working with a PT now who says I should be able to start running this week.  My foot is feeling much, much better and the PT excercises, which I thought would certainly make my foot 'hurt', are being tolerated well.  Maybe a little running next week ...

HappyFeat

Doctor thinks it's Extensor Tendinitis. 

Relieved to hear nothing's broken! Three cheers!!

I had to look up to see what specifically extensor tendonitis is.

Here's a link to info from James Dunne, a PT in the UK who I've followed on YouTube and such for years because he's a runner, running-focused, and has a great resource library. It's a pretty quick read, but answers the questions of what is it, why do runners get it, and how to monitor a return to running.

https://www.kinetic-revolution.com/running-with-extensor-tendonitis/

kcam

Thank you HappyFeat!  Great resource there.

jeffdonahue

So no fracture.  All of the bones in my foot are healthy and normal.  Doctor thinks it's Extensor Tendinitis.  I'm working with a PT now who says I should be able to start running this week.  My foot is much, much better and the PT excercises, which I thought would certainly make my foot 'hurt', are being tolerated well.  Maybe a little running next week ...

No breaks or fractures is always a good thing.

HappyFeat

Just checking in for some accountability I guess. Maybe I should become a run-streaker  just to get me out the door! So STUCK today! Seems like I'm overdue for a faster workout, but someone else really needs to get that done on my behalf. ha ha. I hate these bouts of low energy! Think I'll go on the TM because it takes some of the effort out of it. Just press the buttons and keep up with the belt. There's no reward in slacking off; that's for sure. I always regret it when I do. Okay, I think I'm moving in the right direction now.

jeffdonahue

That's why I started my streak in the first place.  I would take a day off, which would turn into two, then three - next thing I know I hadn't run in two weeks.  One mile a day - 10ish minutes and I'm accountable for myself.  Plus, the further you get into the streak, the harder it is to say I'm not going to run today because you've already invested so much time into it.  I'm going to hit 15 years at the end of December.

Just checking in for some accountability I guess. Maybe I should become a run-streaker  just to get me out the door! So STUCK today! Seems like I'm overdue for a faster workout, but someone else really needs to get that done on my behalf. ha ha. I hate these bouts of low energy! Think I'll go on the TM because it takes some of the effort out of it. Just press the buttons and keep up with the belt. There's no reward in slacking off; that's for sure. I always regret it when I do. Okay, I think I'm moving in the right direction now.

kcam

I agree that Streaking can help with motivation.  What can work  when I just don't wanna get out and run is to re-read your footer, HappyFeat - "Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done".   One thing that helps me a whole lot on low energy days is to map out a new neighborhood and then go 'bag' some new streets for my Citistrides lifemap,  Believe it or not, that is very, very motivating for me.  I don't care how fast I run on those days just get out and see some new neighborhoods and run some streets.

Another motivating factor for me is to stay ahead of the darn pace bunny.  He's relentless and pounds out his miles every day rain or shine, hot or cold, sick or well.  The one thing he can't do that we can is to run MORE than his allotted daily mileage!

HappyFeat

15 years of not missing a day is incredible, JeffD!

Yeah, KCam, that "footer" directive has helped me a ton in the past, but I'd forgotten about it. So yesterday when it came to mind, I decided to put it somewhere I'll see it every day - here!  I can see how CityStrides could be very engaging. Your lifemap becomes a visible picture of accomplishment, and creates a goal to expand on it.

And omigosh YES, the Pace Bunny is an awesome motivator! Always has been for me. This has been a crap year or two for me though and some of the fun went out of it. Part of the secret is to pick a mileage point that is achievable, but requires some effort. That's been my stumbling block of late -- figuring out what mileage point is.  After a 3-year period of 2000 miles, I sunk to 1600 for a couple years. Then the heart attack last Dec. Now I don't even feel confident about reaching 1400!  It helps to step out of "going with the flow" and take a hard look at things sometimes.  Here's another quote that has helped me in the past, but I'd forgotten about (pardon the language ):

"Decide what it is you want.  Write that shit down.  Make a fucking plan.  And... work on it. Every. Single. Day."

On that note, I better log off and go run.

kcam

Jeff that 15 years is amazing.  I was worried you might end it with this injury but, true to form, you keep on keeping on. . My longest is 117 days set this year from Jan to April.  Downright puny compared to 15 years +/-!

HappyFeat, I didn't know you had a heart attack.  Care to share about it?  If you're not comfortable that's cool.  I had one three years ago, in prime fitness.  Had two stents put in to open a 97% and 83% blockage of parts of my LAD artery.  Doctor said I was lucky to still be here.  I was never overweight, never smoked, no drugs or alcohol abuse, ate well (in other words - no fun ).  So Ive come to believe that many years of intense training contributed to the condition.  I do have some hereditary indications of heart disease but none of my brothers and sisters or my oarents have had any heart trouble and I'm one of 9 kids.

HappyFeat

KCam  Just curious - How is it that your training could have played a role in creating your heart blockages?

As for me, I was hit with a surprise heart attack last December while working out with weights. It was a freak thing - caused by a coronary artery spasm - that I don't have ANY risk factors for. I was in the local hospital for a day or so awaiting transfer to Seattle VM Cardiac Unit, then went by ambulance (quite the ride) arriving around 10 pm. They had a welcome party for me in my room: cardiologist, internist, Xray tech, lab tech... I lost count of the people! Apparently my cardiac enzymes had been skyrocketing since I first went in to the local hospital and they expected me to be in worse shape because that can indicate all sorts of damage to the heart. I think the "normal" range was under 100 or something low like that and with each serial test (done about every 6 hours) it seemed to rise another 1000 points. Last I heard it was over 5000. So they were quite concerned.

However all the tests and evaluations show that my heart and I are 100% healthy. So all fingers crossed that it doesn't ever happen again. The cardiologist I saw at the one-month mark who gave me my get-out-of-jail-free card told me that in his experience, it happens most often during weight training, but that it's not a common thing. I was a little leery to resume THAT as you might imagine, but I did and I'm still here!  It did curtail my running for a bit. Apparently even a minor heart attack traumatizes your heart and there is recovery involved.

Here's a page with an illustration of what this spasm looks like. (I still can't seem to add a photo to a post.)

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronary-artery-spasm/img-20008543

jeffdonahue

HappyFeat, I completely agree that it is tough to pick a goal mileage range.  I"ve had a few years over 2000, and a few years around 1200.  The last four years I think I was between 1600 and 1900.  I was hoping for 1500 this year, but right now am shooting for 1200, for which I just caught up with the pace bunny.  I'm still trying to pretty much play each day/week by ear and not completely lock myself into certain mileage so I don't stress out if I don't hit it because of one reason or another.

Kcam and HappyFeat, sorry to hear about the heart issues you guys have been having.  I worry about that a little myself.  I've never had any issues, but I do have a family history of heart disease, which is why my doctor has me on a statin (atorvastatin I think) to help with my cholesterol.  Unfortunately one of the side effects of this drug is joint pain so, while I only take it every other day, the day after I take it I typically have some joint pain to deal with (usually in the ankles or hands).

kcam

KCam  Just curious - How is it that your training could have played a role in creating your heart blockages?

As for me, I was hit with a surprise heart attack last December while working out with weights. It was a freak thing - caused by a coronary artery spasm - that I don't have ANY risk factors for. I was in the local hospital for a day or so awaiting transfer to Seattle VM Cardiac Unit, then went by ambulance (quite the ride) arriving around 10 pm. They had a welcome party for me in my room: cardiologist, internist, Xray tech, lab tech... I lost count of the people! Apparently my cardiac enzymes had been skyrocketing since I first went in to the local hospital and they expected me to be in worse shape because that can indicate all sorts of damage to the heart. I think the "normal" range was under 100 or something low like that and with each serial test (done about every 6 hours) it seemed to rise another 1000 points. Last I heard it was over 5000. So they were quite concerned.

However all the tests and evaluations show that my heart and I are 100% healthy. So all fingers crossed that it doesn't ever happen again. The cardiologist I saw at the one-month mark who gave me my get-out-of-jail-free card told me that in his experience, it happens most often during weight training, but that it's not a common thing. I was a little leery to resume THAT as you might imagine, but I did and I'm still here!  It did curtail my running for a bit. Apparently even a minor heart attack traumatizes your heart and there is recovery involved.

Here's a page with an illustration of what this spasm looks like. (I still can't seem to add a photo to a post.)

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronary-artery-spasm/img-20008543

Ahh, spasm.  Glad you're doing well, HappyFeat. I bet the markers they were measureing high were cardiac troponins, T and I.  Those are markers for cardiac damage.  When I went to the e-room that's what clue'd them in to heart attack (as well as blackout).

I've read too many studies that SEEM to indicate that too much physical activity can lead to coronary artery inflammation and calcification.  BTW, marathoners many times indicate high levels of troponins on completion.  Nothing's for sure but there are a lot of indications that point to that.  I've had many, many years of >2500 miles per year training for distance road races.  Raced a LOT over those years.  Over 50 races a year from Mile to Marathon.  I've cut back on that since that heart attack.

Mine occured during a mountain bike ride.  I was by myself (as I am on 90% of running or riding) in the middle of nowhere blasting down a steep downhill.  Apparently I had the heart attack, blacked out and crashed really badly (though I don't remember the crash).  I thought I had broken my hip and blacked out.  Only reason I went to the hospital.  They immediately put me in a bed and, like you, suddenly there were a whole bunch of people poking and prodding and machines etc.  Finally the cardiologist came in and told me he didn't recommend I go home until I had a catheterization to verify what was going on.  It was all a big shock to me.   The main LAD was 97% and two of the tributaries were also blocked to some extent.  Two stents, one of the blockages was too small to stent.

Jeff, I'm on Atorvastatin (80mg), Losartan (for blood pressure) and a daily aspirin (blood thinner) now.  Thing is I never had high cholesterol readings or high blood pressure but they want me on that stuff anyway.  Luckily for me I have no adverse reactions to any of those medications.  I also carry nitro-glycerine in a necklace where ever I go.  If I feel chest tightness or pain or whatever I'm supposed to put one of the pills under my tongue.  I remember as a kid old people, on TV, having heart attacks and grasping for their pills - now that's me!