3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

February 2015 Racing Thread (Read 27 times)

I'm a sucker for punishment, so lets have another go at chipping a few seconds off this weekend:

2/14 Roth Runner  5k Dulwich Parkrun, London, UK <16:29

Feeling the growl again

Man.  Good luck.  Being sick and such I've probably been going the wrong way on this....

I'm a sucker for punishment, so lets have another go at chipping a few seconds off this weekend:

2/14 Roth Runner  5k Dulwich Parkrun, London, UK <16:29

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ever have a race you wished was over 75% of the way through? Well.. got my wish Sunday. Sucks that I've had workouts go far better than this race. IDK... just cant seem to peek for a 9am race. Legs were tired at the starting line. First mile went well enough. Just crashed when things got tough. But, then it was over. Oh well.

Sounded like a rough one for you last week.  Do you do most of your running in the afternoon/evening?  Looks like you took off the day before.  Did you do anything else that day?  I always struggle to find that right balance of what to do in the days before.  I always like to do at least a few miles with some pickups/strides the day before as I think that helps to open things and loosen up a bit.  At least it was a 5k which you should be able to bounce back quite quickly.

Man.  Good luck.  Being sick and such I've probably been going the wrong way on this....

Man, it seems like you been dealt a good one.  Going on week 2...any signs of recovery or getting strength back?

Yeah.. it was a tough race. Saturday I didnt really do anything. I should have done some strides. Just 15 min of something would have helped. Plus, I had a rushed 10 min warm-up. Not nearly enough. Mostly I think its the new training and acclimating to 40 mpw. Ive switched to try alternations. Before my training would leave me exhausted days after a workout. Now, I just need a day or two, max, before another workout. So, I'm still working out the kinks with that. Oh, and youre right, almost all my workouts are at lunch. My body is vastly different after being awake for 6 hours.

Sounded like a rough one for you last week.  Do you do most of your running in the afternoon/evening?  Looks like you took off the day before.  Did you do anything else that day? 

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

Man, it seems like you been dealt a good one.  Going on week 2...any signs of recovery or getting strength back?

I'm not drowning in sinus drainage when I try to run anymore, but for whatever reason my legs don't have it back and I'm just not motivated.  I've not been sleeping well either as I'm at the culmination of what has been a weeks-long process that may lead to a major (positive) career shift.  Hopefully I will know tomorrow....of course then there is a whole new kind of stress that will follow if I get the job.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Congratulations Spaniel. Just surviving a process like that sounds exhausting and deserves celebration. I hope it finishes well. The last 10% of anything is really hard.

I'm not drowning in sinus drainage when I try to run anymore, but for whatever reason my legs don't have it back and I'm just not motivated.  I've not been sleeping well either as I'm at the culmination of what has been a weeks-long process that may lead to a major (positive) career shift.  Hopefully I will know tomorrow....of course then there is a whole new kind of stress that will follow if I get the job.

And we run because we like it
                Through the broad bright land

Best of luck for you spaniel, and fingers crossed you are over the sinus thing too.

Feeling the growl again

Best of luck for you spaniel, and fingers crossed you are over the sinus thing too.

Thanks guys.  I just accepted the job today.  This is huge for my career and family (if I don't fail to perform and get fired in 6 months), but will be challenging on the running.  Perhaps this is a sucker punch entry...

Thanks guys.  I just accepted the job today.  This is huge for my career and family (if I don't fail to perform and get fired in 6 months), but will be challenging on the running.  Perhaps this is a sucker punch entry...

Congrats on the new opportunity!  Hopefully you'll be able to find a good balance with it all.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations Spaniel!

steph  

Feeling the growl again

Congratulations Spaniel!

Thanks.  Its scerry at the moment.  Perhaps I should run the stress off rather than drink it off.  Wink  Back on the horse tomorrow.

Great news spaniel, you'll find a way to fit the running in too I'm sure (& the beer...)

Yeah.. it was a tough race. Saturday I didnt really do anything. I should have done some strides. Just 15 min of something would have helped. Plus, I had a rushed 10 min warm-up. Not nearly enough. Mostly I think its the new training and acclimating to 40 mpw. Ive switched to try alternations. Before my training would leave me exhausted days after a workout. Now, I just need a day or two, max, before another workout. So, I'm still working out the kinks with that. Oh, and youre right, almost all my workouts are at lunch. My body is vastly different after being awake for 6 hours.

The alternations concept seems very interesting and worth trying.  Was going to today but got scared and just kept with 4 mile tempo.  I'll have to plan it out a little better next time.

Thanks.  Its scerry at the moment.  Perhaps I should run the stress off rather than drink it off.  Wink  Back on the horse tomorrow.

Are you moving, or longer commute?