3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Jan 6 - 12 Training (Read 13 times)

DoppleBock

I need to refind my healthy eating mojo after a fun ... not so healthy weekend.  This next weekend is another volleyball tourney and I am going to the Packer game Sunday night ... oh and by the way it is day 3 through 6 of year-end close.

I am shooting in the middle

70+ Miles

7,000 vertical

3x weights

2 days with alcohol

If year-end blows up ... my training could also.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

C-R

This week's goals

40+ miles

Continue my 30 Day push up challenge (currently trying to go from 45 on Jan 1 looking for 100 on Jan 31)

2 days of less than 2 beers

Weights 2x in week.

Continue dropping some pounds

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just a dude.

My week:

13+ mile long run

40+ total miles

Get off the roads at least once

Keep losing weight

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

DoppleBock

I ran a nice progressive last night - 7 Miles ... Starting out at 9:30 and ending at 8:30 pace.

What used to be 24 hour race average pace is now LAT pace ... But it is progress.

I just really need to actually get my nutrition on track and eliminate alcohol.  Progress would be accelerated with a less fat ass.

I probably will not start until after the Packer / Seahawk game Sunday ... Going to the game on a bus with food and beer included.  I only live 35 minutes from Lambeau ... but to avoid traffic ... avoid looking for parking or setting up my own tailgating ... $25 for bus and $25 for all the food / Beer you want for the 2.5 hours pre-game easy

kcam

I'm trying to hit 50miles this week with a LR of 13 - 16 and my club workout Sat as a tempo effort.  Sounds like a lot but it really isn't as one of my goals for the year is to slow down my easy paced runs, that includes long runs.  I've been running in the 8:00 to 8:30 range even though I've been getting slower in my racing for years (as my overall mileage has dropped ).  I'm consciously slowing them down to 9 - 9:30 pace and lemme tell you that's hard to do - it feels so slow but I know it's what I need to do to get back to some uninjured consistent running/training.

Had a lower back problem (intense muscle spasms) last week that had me miss several days of running, so I didn't post anything on last weeks' training.  Couldn't hardly walk for the first two days.  But it's 90% recovered now.

DoppleBock

kcam ... I am just trying to get my distance up at any pace ...

kcam

kcam ... I am just trying to get my distance up at any pace ...

Exactly right.  Back years ago when I was running my best I used to tell guys that were just starting out to run as slow as you need to in order to get your mileage where it needs to be.  I was and am a 'mileage' guy.  But here I am now not taking my own advice.  Gotta change that, I'm not the same runner I was (aren't we all  LOL ?!).

DoppleBock

I keep saying "What used to be easy is now hard"

My pace I am running for 60-90 minute runs has now improved to about what my average pace was for my best 24 hour race.

All that being said - I never made a great running weight.  I am 6'3 and will never be 150-160 pounds.  But I would be 180 pounds and I ran all my PRs at 205-215 pounds.

So my Great hope is now that I have less upper body muscle mass ... If I can get down to 180# over the next year ... the lower weight could offset by losses of ability with age to some extent.

But hey, It is January and I am an eternal optimist in January.

All I know is I need to run today ... and tomorrow ...

Exactly right.  Back years ago when I was running my best I used to tell guys that were just starting out to run as slow as you need to in order to get your mileage where it needs to be.  I was and am a 'mileage' guy.  But here I am now not taking my own advice.  Gotta change that, I'm not the same runner I was (aren't we all  LOL ?!).

DoppleBock

I find it very interesting that I struggle with breathing as I increase pace, but my heart rate is relatively low and my legs can handle the pace.  But I am just starting to do some striders and LAT workouts.  But I have to keep them on the very easy side to make sure I do not blow up my achilles.  After 6 years of very little running as even less fast running - It seems I have to go through the process to make by achilles tendon steel cables again.

kcam

Good move on limiting effort level on the strides/LAT.

Actually, I'm not running by pace (as of Jan 1st - New Years Rez ), running easy strictly by HR.  My HR Max, near as I can tell, is only 165.  I've run short races of 2.75 miles and 3.0 miles as recently as December and at the end running all out to the line I get my HR to 162.  I'll add 3 beats to that to get to 165.

So based on that I'm trying to keep my HR on my easy runs to 130.

Today on my 8.5 mile lunch run 130 HR meant 9:30 pace, two days ago on the same path it was more like 9:50.  Not that I'm faster it just depends on how you feel on the day, the weather etc.  The point is I don't care what the pace is .... 130 is the number.  It feels way too easy but I'll get used to it.  The only thing showing on my watch face is HR and Cadence, I only see my pace when the run is done.  Feels weird to train like this but I'm giving it an honest try.  On these easy runs I work on form/cadence/breathing etc.  I tell you it's hard to run at 130!  8:30 pace would get me around 135-140 HR but I think that is too much for easy running now for me.

My hope is that I can continue training more mileage at the easier pace, lose weight (biggie) and see my pace at 130 HR actually go down over time.

Yeah, it's amazing how slow we become relative to our younger, fitter selves.  I ran a 10K Turkey Trot Nov '19  in 43:09 (7:05 pace, I think) and I was ecstatic to hit that pace.  I used to run marathons faster than that pace ... how could I have gotten so slow?!!  Saul Goodman, though, we're still out there.

C-R

I ran a double yesterday. First one in two years. Achilles is improving with the stretching and other methods.

kcam - I ran LHR for several years to build base and avoid injury. Sort of doing that again. It worked for me. Good luck

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Day 17 today. 

some PF on the right all the past week. But I’m rolling.

DoppleBock

PF - Primate fungus ?

Nice to see ... Roll on brother

Day 17 today. 

some PF on the right all the past week. But I’m rolling.

Just a dude.

PF - Primate fungus ?

Nice to see ... Roll on brother

Maybe it's Periodic Fun?

:-)

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

It looks like I was right about my hip -- babying it or letting it stop me was not the solution.  Neither was being stupid and pushing it to the breaking point.  I could do 6 miles at a time so I did that and not more...got a nice spin bike and have started doing that to add additional cardio to make up for lack of miles.

Now it appears I can do 8 miles before I get to the same point with my hip so I'm doing 8.  Looks like I may hit 50 miles this week if I can double today.  I haven't done that in a year or more.  Plus ~3 hours on the bike.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills