3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Pete and Repeat (Read 23 times)

DoppleBock

I am in that initial burst of motivation to turn my fitness life around and lose weight.  The cycle usually last 5-7 weeks, I start seeing progress, but it starts to be a lot of work.  Then DB 3 deadly sins take over -> Sloth, Drunkenness and Gluttony

Mentally I am in a good place in life ... but not physically (Nothing serious yet) just fat and out of shape.

This time of year I start to work out and then plan races for the next year that I never really train for ... then af the end of the next year I repeat the process.

I just signed up for a 50k fun run 4/4/2020 ... $10 gets you a bus ride to one end of the Northern Kettle, some water and snacks at road crossings and a cooler full of PBR at the finish.  If you want to know your time ... you better wear a watch.

https://www.facebook.com/Greenbush-Trail-Runners-228993157117310/

They get a decent group as you can see from the photo.  The date can be 20F or 60F,

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

My goal - Trying to publically call it out ... to shame myself when I fall down (Has not worked in 5 years) is a minimum of 40 MPW and 2,500 vertical feet.  With the weekly real goal (Not minimum) of 60 Miles and 6,000 vertical feet.

In the beginning it is taking a lot of my time as I am so out of shape it includes a good portion of walking and almost all the vertical is walking.

In my delusional fantasy .... it will come together in the Glacial Trail 50 Mile October 11, 2020

Welcome back DB!  Good luck with your training.  I hope you can find a way to enjoy and stick with it.

Feeling the growl again

Welcome back!

Me, I keep telling myself I'm going to run a marathon the next year.  But I need to lose 25lb and my hip thinks I'm 70 so until that is fixed I struggle to run at all...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

I'm with you on the 25 and my achilles is making me want to take up knitting.

Screw that - I'm down for a new beginning. Sick and tired of being sick and tired. Lots of changes coming now.

Updates to follow.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

just finished week # 6

I am running - No check that jogging - slow enough I really am only considering it calorie burning activity.  Breathing is starting to get better - But that might have something to do with my belly was so big that there was not a lot of room for my lungs to expand.

Started @ 290

Current 270

I have decided I don't give a shit about the speed of progress ... Only that there is progress.  I took 7 years to get this fat ... I can take a year to get "unfat"

If I can stick with it ... I am considering Green Bay Marathon.

DoppleBock

One of my biggest barriers is my OCD ~ The switch is "on" or "off".

When I start up working out I add - add - add too quickly and then either because my body is angry or because life gets in the way and I can only do 50% a week or two ... Mentally it sucks and "what's the point to being sort of on"

That being said - It is honestly about survival - There are many parts to each of us:  Spiritual, Physical, Scholar, Social etc.  As much as an individual situation(s) may suck ~ I am the happiest when I have a significant "Physical" part of my life.  Also I cannot be this fat ... I ended up back at the edge of the abyss and decided to do a 180 ... maybe more like a 120 (a bit of tangent, but moving away)

I believe I can start anew and not use my past fitness / results as a yard stick to what I can do now.

But I Have felt that way a dozen times before and right @ 7 weeks is where I fall on my face.

Just a dude.

I don't want to rain on Dopple's parade, but consider my hat tossed back in the ring as well...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

In my experience the key to sticking with your training is to enjoy it. I know you can be incredibly motivated to train but once the motivation disappears there is no other incentive to do it if you don't enjoy it.

Get outside, find new routes, run with new people/groups.   Do it because it makes you happy or find something else that does.  Yeah, no one enjoys it all the time but you can settle for most of the time.

For me I'm trying to maintain a base around 70 MPW.   That iinvolves a manageable amount of time at my current pace (less than 10 hours per week).  Next year I hope to get in a spring marathon, Ice Age 50 miler, and High Lonesome 100 and I'll ramp up training specific to those distances and courses.

DoppleBock

KellyDodge - Company is appreciated

... Hey flatfooter ~ No Ice Age for me this year - I did the 50k last year

My handicap was to compare to the previous DB and it was unsatisfying.

I am at peace that this is a whole new rodeo and I am just excited to see what happens.

I would like to get up to 50-80 Mile weeks with a fair amount of vertical + room for other activities ... My youngest and I are lifting weights and playing a fair amount of racquetball.  Also downhill skiing, cross country skiing and golf need to have room in my life.

But my 1st goal is to make 10 weeks

My 2nd goal is to make 100 days

Then the goal will be 20 weeks

But tonight my only goal is to get a mileage workout in tomorrow - Then weights and racquetball with my 14yo daughter

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

^^^ This has been my 2019.

Ran 1 mile on 1/1/19...went home took a nap.

Ran everyday and down 70 lbs. Ran some ok races, but nothing great.  Now building real mileage for racing next year.  Aiming for sub 2:45 at Grandma's marathon in June and sub 2:40 in November if possible.

I'm 35 with a 2 year old and a wife.  Embrace 4 am runs and welcome back.  :-)

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

DoppleBock

dpschumacher - great accomplishment.  I would love to be able to right something similar at the end of 2020.  My actual speed not as important as the weight loss and fitness.  I have run Grandmas a couple of times.  Nice course.

^^^ This has been my 2019.

Ran 1 mile on 1/1/19...went home took a nap.

Ran everyday and down 70 lbs. Ran some ok races, but nothing great.  Now building real mileage for racing next year.  Aiming for sub 2:45 at Grandma's marathon in June and sub 2:40 in November if possible.

I'm 35 with a 2 year old and a wife.  Embrace 4 am runs and welcome back.  :-)

DoppleBock

I am pretty much in weight loss mode for the foreseeable future.

That means:

1)  miles are more important than speed

2)  Vertical is my friend

3)  Build strength and endurance

4)  Work on core and back muscles

I recently found out my cadence was slowed and that is sad.  The normal of an efficient runner is 180 and I was at 172.  If I focus on it I can keep it @ 176.  Once I start striders and some drills I am hopeful to get it back to 180 before summer 2020.

If I get to reasonable shape by fall ~ I will find a fall race or two.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I have run Grandma's but never finished. Always came in with injuries but have completed others. I am going for some speed mostly to keep motivated to run. My original plan was not to run any races at all other than to jog some miles in 2019. Was shocked that I got into ok shape 5 months before expected. I thought I would be getting in sub 8 min miles not until aug or sept after no running for 3 years. Was very surprised how quick it came back.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k