3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Thanks!

The Dr. in Emergency said that they don't wrap any more because it causes

pneumonia.  Might try it just while running.  I ran short and slow with my dog yesterday

and I had to try not to jiggle too much or breath too deep.

I've been told this the couple of times I've broken ribs - in my experience the discomfort passes fairly quickly.  Heal up quick!!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I've been told this the couple of times I've broken ribs - in my experience the discomfort passes fairly quickly.  Heal up quick!!

Thanks, RR.  I do hope so.

steph  

Prince of Fatness

When I had my appendix removed they gave me this contraption that had a ball in it.  You breath in and raise the ball.  I had to do that once an hour or so while in the hospital to prevent pneumonia.  So probably not a bad idea to force a few deep breaths every so often if you can tolerate it.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

As for the piriformis, I hate stretching and that is probably why it does not help me.  I do not hold my stretches long enough.  There is a stretch that is part of the yoga routine that I do occasionally.

The plan is to do this daily 5 minutes a side.  For now.  We'll see if it helps.

Just to report back on this, I have been doing it 5 - 6 days a week on average since this post.  I can say that there is some relief to the pain that existed around my sit bone, enough to warrant continuing with it.  I sort of knew this but wow is the right side way tighter than the left.  I am hoping that repairing the labrum will allow me to eventually work out the tightness in the right side.  My hit my ART guy up for a couple of sessions once I am healed enough.

Not at it at all. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Just to report back on this, I have been doing it 5 - 6 days a week on average since this post.  I can say that there is some relief to the pain that existed around my sit bone, enough to warrant continuing with it.  I sort of knew this but wow is the right side way tighter than the left.  I am hoping that repairing the labrum will allow me to eventually work out the tightness in the right side.  My hit my ART guy up for a couple of sessions once I am healed enough.

Wish that I could get that far into that stretch.  Even when I was doing yoga regularly I

couldn't.   Should start going to yoga class again.

steph  

Prince of Fatness

Wish that I could get that far into that stretch.  Even when I was doing yoga regularly I

couldn't.   Should start going to yoga class again.

You can move the front leg to increase or decrease the intensity of your stretch.  The further up toward your shoulder that your foot is, the more intense.  Your lower leg is perpendicular to your spine.  When I do it my front foot is further down toward my hip and my lower leg is more toward 45 degrees to my spine.  I can get my foot up a little further with my left (non injured) leg.

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

Interestingly, that exact motion is the one that my wife has been told not to do since her surgeries - externally rotating while adducting. She's been certified as a yoga teacher since then, but she modifies poses based on the restrictions.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Prince of Fatness

After my surgery I do plan on asking what is and is not advisable to do.  I am sure that he won't want me to do anything like that for a while I would think.

Not at it at all. 

I got the best news I could hope for, the Ortho basically said I was lazy and need to start stretching and strength train. Extremely tight hamstrings was his diagnosis, not sure why that would cause a burning pain in the quads, esp only at rest or if stand on that leg.  Could be his way of saying he has no idea what's going on, but I am happy with that.

MRI states Mild left-sided trochanteric bursitis, no evidence of stress reaction with reactive marrow edema

C-R

I got the best news I could hope for, the Ortho basically said I was lazy and need to start stretching and strength train. Extremely tight hamstrings was his diagnosis, not sure why that would cause a burning pain in the quads, esp only at rest or if stand on that leg.  Could be his way of saying he has no idea what's going on, but I am happy with that.

MRI states Mild left-sided trochanteric bursitis, no evidence of stress reaction with reactive marrow edema

Good to hear.

This thread effing scares me.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Whew...  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good news 

steph  

This has to be the only time I am immensely happy and relieved that someone is told they have an injury.  I hope the stretches and strengthening ease the pain.  Wonderful news, and I hope some positives come out of what must have been a very hard couple of weeks - hopefully both a decent stretching/strengthening routine as well as an even greater awareness of all the good things in your life right now.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Thanks all,

I truly contemplated some fairly disastrous consequences and very happy that it was nothing to worry about. I think it was my reminder to not take running for granted and enjoy just the fact that I am able to run.  PR's and races are just extra motivation to run, and not at all important in the big picture.

Taking a few weeks off running right now, and focus on the stretches and possibly getting PT to help. Tired of limping around like an old man.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks all,

I truly contemplated some fairly disastrous consequences and very happy that it was nothing to worry about. I think it was my reminder to not take running for granted and enjoy just the fact that I am able to run.  PR's and races are just extra motivation to run, and not at all important in the big picture.

Taking a few weeks off running right now, and focus on the stretches and possibly getting PT to help. Tired of limping around like an old man.

So true!

steph