3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Just a dude.

Good news Finn

+2

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

C-R

8 days later and my leg is not improving a lot. Beginning to worry about whether I can run my 100 next month.

Just saw this. What's the deal? Fall down off a bar stool?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Just saw this. What's the deal? Fall down off a bar stool?

Sacrificed himself to spare the kiddo during a fall.

Slightly more respectable.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just a dude.

Ok, here's a new one for me. Maybe you all can help.

When I run fast, my inner thigh starts complaining a bit. On Monday, I was doing some strides and it went from complaining to complaining louder. I backed off and it didn't hurt much, and I was able to jog easily.

The next day I could run, as long as I was slower than about 9 minute pace, it was only slightly noticable, but it did get worse as I went along, and eventually started pulling on my groin some.

If I stand up with my feet apart, and try to pull them together, it works the same area.

I have absolutely no pain walking, standing, sitting, jumping, etc. Only running.

Digging into my leg like a massage I can't really find anything, though the inside of my quad is sore. (Vastus Medialis?)

Here's a pic as best as I can figure it out: Legs

I tried using a giant rubber band as resistance and pulling my feet together with my legs straight. That seemed to work the area a bit, but not much.

I've looked online and people are talking about lunges and squats and stuff, but they just don't hit the spot.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Kelly

Walk-Jogger

Kelly,

if you lay down on your back, does it hurt at all on your inner thigh when you lift your leg?

I had problems the first couple of years after I got back to running, on the left side one year, and then on the right the other year, and it started off like that, a pain down the inner thigh that hurt more when running fast. Of course I kept trying to run through it. Eventually it turned into a sports hernia / athletic pubalgia and who knows what other niggles went along for the ride, and I had to take a few months off from running to let it all heal.

I suspect in my case it was all caused by sprinting nearly every day wearing light weight (7 oz) neutral shoes with no support, and I really have to have arch support. My arches were over-pronating and collapsing, and the strain from that pulled on everything all the way up my leg and into my groin area. Everything on that path got stretched out till it got strained or torn and it all hurt. It hurt my inner thigh (sartorius or gracilis?) to lift my leg or turn over in bed.

You might have something totally different going on, but this is was my experience.

Retired &  Loving It

Just a dude.

If I lay on my back and lift my leg, its all fine.

If I lay on my side at 90 degrees and lift my leg, I'm good.

If I am at a 45 degree angle (Half on back, half on side) and kinda bounce my leg up and down, I can hit it a little bit.

-Kelly

It hurt my inner thigh (sartorius or gracilis?) to lift my leg or turn over in bed.

You might have something totally different going on, but this is was my experience.

The gracilis is what came to my mind. I had something similar last summer. I would use a stick roller and rely work to get some leverage and dig in to get it.  Couldn't really find a way to stretch it.  It was strange and took a few weeks to clear up.

Just a dude.

Well, two days off and I thought I'd give it a bit of a go today. Felt great to start. Forgot about it as I went. Then at 7.3 miles in it twinged a bit. So I shut it down and walked/jogged slow home.

Not as bad as before, but I want it 100%... /sigh...

-Kelly

bhearn

The secret is, it's never 100%. It's all about finding a sustainable level of minor issues.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Bah, my spring marathon soreness is still with me.  Sure, I aggravated it running a 2nd marathon and a 1-mile race, but I figured it should be gone by now.  It's not.  Coach got me in to see the chief of sports medicine.  Now I'm waiting 2weeks on a bone-scan appointment -- and sworn off running for the time.  I saw "sworn off" because that was my response when the doc told me my long-run was off . . .as well as all other running except the damn pool.

I hate the pool.

I'm not sure if I should hope for "Sports Hernia" or stress fracture of the pelvis.

How the hell does one get a stress fracture in the pelvis from running?!

Feels like I hopped on a bike and missed the pedals, ending up on the cross-bar.

At least Chicago is a while away.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Walk-Jogger

Bah, my spring marathon soreness is still with me.  Sure, I aggravated it running a 2nd marathon and a 1-mile race, but I figured it should be gone by now.  It's not.  Coach got me in to see the chief of sports medicine.  Now I'm waiting 2weeks on a bone-scan appointment -- and sworn off running for the time.  I saw "sworn off" because that was my response when the doc told me my long-run was off . . .as well as all other running except the damn pool.

I hate the pool.

I'm not sure if I should hope for "Sports Hernia" or stress fracture of the pelvis.

Feels like I hopped on a bike and missed the pedals, ending up on the cross-bar.

Bummer. Sorry to hear this. I managed to do this once when I was young and dumb (31-ish) by racing another guy down a long hill on pavement with wild abandon in a training run, and then ignoring and running through the subtle pain in my hip for 2 weeks, and then running a big 12K goal race which also had a couple of significant downhills. I made it through the first downhill ok, but on the second one at about the 5 mile mark what had been a small fracture suddenly became a show-stopper, and it hurt like hell. But I wasn't about to stop running 5 miles into a  12K goal race, so I limped in the rest of the way, about 2.5 miles, on one leg, and finished in about 51: xx instead of 46: xx. I was on crutches for a couple months after that. That was in May, and I think I was running again by fall, IIRC.

So that's one way to do it by running.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

I hate the pool.

You may recall but after the stupid mileage stunt a couple years back I had to dial back because itfrltlike I was going to break my pelvis in half. The pelvis is your foundation, all stresses feed through it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

I abhhor this thread. Heal up people.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I abhhor this thread. Heal up people.

Yes!

steph  

Just a dude.

Well, two days off and I thought I'd give it a bit of a go today. Felt great to start. Forgot about it as I went. Then at 7.3 miles in it twinged a bit. So I shut it down and walked/jogged slow home.

Not as bad as before, but I want it 100%... /sigh...

-Kelly

Well, I think I am definately on the mend. Got through my hill workout today with no issues. I was very cautious but overall happy.

Thought maybe this thread could use an "I'm getting better..." post... :-)

-Kelly