3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have been to several airports where some local microbrewery or brewpub has an outpost. Oh yeah!

I said this somewhere else on here, but InBev is Satan.  Perhaps Goose Island has not been affected yet but other than the Sophie and Matilda known to me, I've started walking by the ones I have not tried since I learned that InBev got its horns into them.

I recently had a GI dark saison - don't remember exactly what it was called but similar style to a Saison noel but infused with peppercorns.  Previous to that I was not a fan of pretty much any GI beers including their limited Belgians, but this one was pretty good.  I would not give up on GI yet.

Ironically, Budweiser came out with an amber ale.  I've heard it is "drinkable" even by home brewers, but I wouldn't lay down any cash to try it...

Feeling the growl again

Ironically, Budweiser came out with an amber ale.  I've heard it is "drinkable" even by home brewers, but I wouldn't lay down any cash to try it...

Budweiser's American Ale (I'm not even sure they make it anymore) was actually quite drinkable.  Several summers ago, if I wanted a few lighter beers to enjoy on a hot day, I was happy with it.  The problem was they soon began pricing it on par with Sam Adams and if I had to pay that price I was going to buy Sam Adams.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Next week, Founders will release their KBS stout.

Scored a bottle of this at the beer store yesterday, evidently one of only 12 that they got in (lucky I got on a list).  Also found out that my other beer place, the one that has 24 taps, acquired a sixtel of this stuff.  Gotta keep an eye out for when she taps that bad boy.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Scored a bottle of this at the beer store yesterday, evidently one of only 12 that they got in (lucky I got on a list).  Also found out that my other beer place, the one that has 24 taps, acquired a sixtel of this stuff.  Gotta keep an eye out for when she taps that bad boy.

Nice. Deliveries yesterday were sold out asap. I have a couple of other places tomorrow on the delivery route but it's looking bleak. I need to find someone with a keg of this stuff.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

The rumor mill says that the kbs keg gets tapped next week.

Not at it at all. 

The rumor mill says that the kbs keg gets tapped next week.

Speaking of, one of the local beer bars will be serving up KBS starting tomorrow evening -- special event. They're also promising some other super-secret awesome stuff on tap. I might be curious enough to brave the mass of humanity that is going to descend on that place.

Kalsarikännit

I was the last one on the list at my local, tiny shop. I got it yesterday. Had it last night. I couldn't wait. It was great.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

lagwagon

In the words of my brother (who is a German citizen) and to which I agree - "No self respecting German would ever drink Becks destined for America. It's like drinking the sweat off a mule"

I used to be a pretty big Becks fan.  Still drink it pretty often overseas (I travel a lot).   But when Inbev moved the US product production to the US, the taste went to shit, to the point where I almost returned the last 6pk.  i'd rather drink any of the 1000+ Carlsberg derivatives which are the scourge of Europe.  So now Pilsner urquell has supplanted it as my crowd-pleasing import.

I have no beef with Sam Adams.  they have good products and I end up drinking it more often than i care to admit (at bars/restaurants).  they have a lot of new varieties which i'd explore if I were bored with everything else (or it was free).

btw, WDR, I like the S_N Bigfoot Barleywine. sure you gave it a real chance? its pretty easy to taste the ethanol through the hops.  also, "nothing but bitter hops" approaches my ideal beer.

Prince of Fatness

btw, WDR, I like the S_N Bigfoot Barleywine. sure you gave it a real chance? its pretty easy to taste the ethanol through the hops.  also, "nothing but bitter hops" approaches my ideal beer.

I think that the hop bitterness one of the main things that distinguish American Barleywines from their English counterparts.  Bigfoot is definitely bitter when fresh.  Aged a couple of years it is quite tasty.

IMO barleywines are meant to be aged.  I prefer a year minimum.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

The SN Bigfoot that I had was a 2012. I drank about 3/4 of it. I tried to give it a chance and there are plenty of hoppy beers that I can appreciate, but this one was just too much for me.

I've had Widmer Brothers Galaxy Hopped Barleywine and Troegs Flying Mouflan and thought both were excellent.

It's kind of like when something is smothered in hot sauce. I like hot sauce, but not to the point where it's so hot that all you get is hot sauce and nothing else.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

And no Indiana....you going to return the favor?  Big grin

Last time it was here there were bottle limits.  I will need to find some recruits.  No promises but I will try.

One bottle will be for me .... everything else will get shipped.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Last time it was here there were bottle limits.  I will need to find some recruits.  No promises but I will try.

One bottle will be for me .... everything else will get shipped.

No worries, if you do you do if you don't you don't.  But damn was that good stuff.  I could have drank all the ones I bought but I just kept one.