3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

The Pocatello Kid.

Agreed I usually do 400 recovery but this cycle im getting my speed from brad Hudson's plan. Run a little slower than if I was doing 400 recovery but still miserable.  My wife made cupcakes so when I got back I had two. Kind of kept me going....

Nice.  That's probably pretty short recovery.  I typically take 90sec recovery for 1000s when I am in shape...and that's pretty short... and I'm doubtful you took that long.

Just a dude.

Ran 1600 meters, 8 laps on the indoor track tonight. First time to run that far since June 7th. My stupid calcaneal stress fractured right heel is finally feeling enough better to do a few running laps. I've been biking and walking on the incline treadmill for cross-training. The running felt fantastic - awkward and slow, and the time was only 7:22, but it felt great to be running. I'll probably try it again in two days if it doesn't hurt tonight or tomorrow. Fingers crossed . . .

Awesome. Glad to see you might be on the way back!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Good to see you posting something Cecil.  Sorry to hear that after all this time the heel is still acting up (or at least not feeling right still).  Hopefully you get that and most importantly your BP squared away soon.

Welcome Scully!  You'll fit right in nicely with this crowd.  That's a hell of a set of 1k repeats.  I thought knocking out 8 this week was a victory.  Holy hell, you did 10 with short recoveries.

Walk-Jogger

Thanks you guys, it's good to have something positive to post here again, even if it's just one mile.It's good to see the rest of you all still cranking out the good workouts. And welcome Scully; that was an impressive set of intervals there!

Retired &  Loving It

Just a dude.

Just joined, but I think I recognize you all from other forums. Well thought I would post today's workout.

10 x 1000 @ 3:19 on average with a 200 active recovery. The recovery made this workout really hard.

So glad that is over with.

Welcome Scully. I've been log stalking a few people lately, and added you as well.

I'm feeling really motivated. Thank you guys for keeping your logs open and for good write ups on your races.

-Kelly

Walk-Jogger

70 miles on the bike today, and my longest ride of this year. Doc said take it easy, so I did; an easy 4 hours.  It felt great. 

One week ago this afternoon I was in the ER being treated for rapidly rising blood pressure of 200/90, and today after a week of Lisinopril HCTZ my BP is back to 132/82, my normal range. Just for fun I checked it after my bike ride (I was down 5.5 lbs from the ride) and it was 120/49, and that's the lowest diastolic number I've ever seen for myself, but then I've never before checked BP after a workout or race.

EDIT: Post bike-ride BP was actually 112/49, not 120/49.

Retired &  Loving It

Just a dude.

Welcome Scully. I've been log stalking a few people lately, and added you as well.

I'm feeling really motivated. Thank you guys for keeping your logs open and for good write ups on your races.

-Kelly

(Ugh. Next time I'm motivated I hope I stay sane. 19 mile trail run today kicked my butt. yikes.)

-Kelly

The Pocatello Kid.

(Ugh. Next time I'm motivated I hope I stay sane. 19 mile trail run today kicked my butt. yikes.)

-Kelly

elevation ain't no joke. Did some running this summer in Colorado and didn't realize how easy I had it until I went out there for a week. good stuff!

kcam

70 miles on the bike today, and my longest ride of this year. Doc said take it easy, so I did; an easy 4 hours.  It felt great. 

One week ago this afternoon I was in the ER being treated for rapidly rising blood pressure of 200/90, and today after a week of Lisinopril HCTZ my BP is back to 132/82, my normal range. Just for fun I checked it after my bike ride (I was down 5.5 lbs from the ride) and it was 120/49, and that's the lowest diastolic number I've ever seen for myself, but then I've never before checked BP after a workout or race.

Way to stay in shape with that 'easy' 4  hours on the bike!

Is that Lisiniprol just a temporary thing?  Even if it's not you can run/bike/train well while on it.

Back in the day I used to be on Lisinopril for BP.  Prior to that I was on Atenolol (beta blocker) which though I didn't know it absolutely killed my running ability.  I was under 3 hours for the marathon when I started on Atenolol and after that I was back to almost 4 hours again.  I moved and a new Doc said that, as a runner, I should not have been put on Atenolol at all.  Switched me to Lisinopril and I felt like a new man out there.  After a few years of, for me, serious training and losing about 30 pounds I was back to running sub-3's.  After a couple years at ~150pounds I didn't even need the Lisinopril anymore.  I've been off BP meds for about 4 years now with my BP in the normal range.  At 5'9" and 180 there isn't any non-running types that would say I was fat but I sure the hell was at an 'unhealthy' weight.  I know you don't have my weight problem but just wanted to relate to you that I was able to train well while on Lisinopril.

Good luck Cecil.

Walk-Jogger

Thanks Ken, I guess the Lisinopril is for as long as my blood pressure is high enough to need it. It only took two weeks for it to go up 40 points or more, but no doc I've talked to can tell me if this is a permanent or long term effect of the Lupron injection, or if it will go away when the Lupron wears off in a year or so.

No workout today, our air is suddenly extremely smokey again.

Retired &  Loving It

Thanks Ken, I guess the Lisinopril is for as long as my blood pressure is high enough to need it. It only took two weeks for it to go up 40 points or more, but no doc I've talked to can tell me if this is a permanent or long term effect of the Lupron injection, or if it will go away when the Lupron wears off in a year or so.

No workout today, our air is suddenly extremely smokey again.

That's quite the bike ride.  The doc should appreciate that you took it easy. Hope your BP remains in check and that the air quality improves.

Welcome Scully - nice 10 x 1000m workout!  Made me wince just thinking about that one!

I'd love to contribute a good workout but all I seem to manage in the last few weeks are bailed workouts.  Hopefully I can squeeze one good one in this week to help the confidence....

Had a nice 14. 5 miles 10 miles of which were ran at GMP pace. Not long to go

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Had a nice 14. 5 miles 10 miles of which were ran at GMP pace. Not long to go

Now that's a solid strength run.  Motivation for me with the ones I have coming up.

But it was road intervals today.  4Xmile on 3 minute recoveries.  5:20-5:14-5:14-5:10.  Felt simply awful on the first one, but got the work done.  I suck at 5K-10K pace stuff even as 6:40s feel about as easy as they ever have for me.  Maybe by Boston I can get these back around 5-flat.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Now that's a solid strength run.  Motivation for me with the ones I have coming up.

But it was road intervals today.  4Xmile on 3 minute recoveries.  5:20-5:14-5:14-5:10.  Felt simply awful on the first one, but got the work done.  I suck at 5K-10K pace stuff even as 6:40s feel about as easy as they ever have for me.  Maybe by Boston I can get these back around 5-flat.

Damn, you just keep rolling right along. I'm glad you're not racing any 5k's soon. At least gives me a chance to catch up some.