3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

C-R

I like lurking in this one but I get to post today.

Cross Country prep as I have several races in the next month.

5k warm up with 5x1k < 4:00 with a 5k cool down. We hit the 1k repeats at 3:58 so very pleased.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

5k warm up with 5x1k < 4:00 with a 5k cool down. We hit the 1k repeats at 3:58 so very pleased.

Nice job C-R!!!

I myself got in a few good workouts in this week. The first one (Wed)  I did 3 miles at HMP with a .5 recovery and then 1x3 mile repeats at 10k pace with quarter rests.  I HAD 3x2 at HMP on plan but during recovery I decided to see how my hammy would feel if I ran a faster. Ended up with 11 miles. On Thursday I did a 9 mile run (2 warm up 5 at HMP and then 2 cool down) and then today I ran 14 mile that had 10 miles about 10-20 seconds slower than GMP. I know I probably pushed my luck considering I ran a marathon last Sunday but I sure as heck didn't feel like I did the next day (a little sore but only like I am after a good workout)  Anyway I signed up for a half marathon that is in 3 weeks so hopefully I don't get too stupid

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Nice!

My volume sucked this week as I started a long, ill-timed stretch of travel.  But I capped off the week with my third major workout.  First 6 mile tempo, then 4Xmile, and now 10 mile tempo aiming at roughly goal MP.  Hit 5:46 average.  It was a bit higher effort than I wanted, but it was immediately after the second 6-hour car ride in 2 days so I felt like complete crap.  So I'll take it.

I've run the majority of my marathons in Adidas Cubatos, the newest of which I own are now 9 years old.  I raced in May in Brooks ST5 or ST6, which is a bit heavier shoe.  After this tempo I am really considering rolling the dice on my November marathon since it is flat and going back to the trusty Cubatos.  The heavier Brooks just don't "feel fast".  I'll certainly wear them in Boston for the extra cushioning.

Thoughts?  I've been doing most of my workouts in older Cubatos or equivalent flats.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Solid stuff Rocken and spaniel.

My two cents - if it ain't broke don't fix it. Run in the ones that give you that confidence.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Thoughts?  I've been doing most of my workouts in older Cubatos or equivalent flats.

I'd stick with the Cubatos. If they've felt good and you've done most of the work in those, then you're legs are likely use to those. It's a flat marathon. You'll be fine with what has worked for you.

Feeling the growl again

I'd stick with the Cubatos. If they've felt good and you've done most of the work in those, then you're legs are likely use to those. It's a flat marathon. You'll be fine with what has worked for you.

Motion passed.  Thanks guys.

Well, Chicago's air traffic control problems just cost me the window for my long run this week, I get to sit in Dulles all day tomorrow instead.  Yay work.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Motion passed.  Thanks guys.

Well, Chicago's air traffic control problems just cost me the window for my long run this week, I get to sit in Dulles all day tomorrow instead.  Yay work.

If I recall correctly there are several areas in Dulles to run. Against the people mover = resistance training. Just need to be inventive. Goucher did it so can you. 

Feeling the growl again

If I recall correctly there are several areas in Dulles to run. Against the people mover = resistance training. Just need to be inventive. Goucher did it so can you. 

So I am familiar with paths near Dulles to run.  Been there, done that.  But what to do with my carry-ons, clean-up after, considering when I arrive in Munich I will now need to go straight into a full day of meetings with corporate executives rather than have a half-day to run/recover/cleanup/sleep?

Seriously, if there is somewhere to change and stash my carry-ons I have like 6 hours to burn.

C-R

So I am familiar with paths near Dulles to run.  Been there, done that.  But what to do with my carry-ons, clean-up after, considering when I arrive in Munich I will now need to go straight into a full day of meetings with corporate executives rather than have a half-day to run/recover/cleanup/sleep?

Seriously, if there is somewhere to change and stash my carry-ons I have like 6 hours to burn.

Hell I was being cheeky but you could buy a one day Delta Club pass. I've not been at Dulles but Minneapolis has showers so it might be worth a check.

You've been getting some solid workouts in Spaniel! Hope you found a place to run while you had to wait!

Another great workout 3x1.5 miles at 10k pace. Working on strength. I'm actually enjoying these runs. Humid day but it didn't seem to bother me.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Another great workout 3x1.5 miles at 10k pace. Working on strength. I'm actually enjoying these runs. Humid day but it didn't seem to bother me.

Great to hear Rocken!  Glad you're making steady progress.

Great to hear Rocken!  Glad you're making steady progress.

Thanks Mike!  I'm still trying to figure out where I stand fitness wise, so these workouts are helping with that.

3x1.5.. pretty beastly workout!

And we run because we like it
                            Through the broad bright land

kcam

3x1.5.. pretty beastly workout!

I was going to say pretty much the same thing.   For 'trying to figure out where I stand fitness wise', 3X1.5 at 10K pace is a fricking great workout!

I was going to say pretty much the same thing.   For 'trying to figure out where I stand fitness wise', 3X1.5 at 10K pace is a fricking great workout!

Thanks Park and Ken! I'm not sure I did it right. The last 1.5  interrval was 10 seconds faster than the first one , and I'm sure my husband would say my recoveries were too fast but didn't feel like it. We'll see how Thursday's 6 mile tempo (GHM pace) goes. I still feel like I'm a "newbie" runner