3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

? for you guys. I've got a  10 mile run 6 of which will be done at HMP (at current HMP). My question is , would Monday be too soon to do a 15 mile moderate paced run 6 miles which will be at HMP? I won't have a chance to get a long run done this weekend so I figured I'd combine my long run with my tempo run that was planned later in the week. My HM is November 2nd so I really wanted to get two workouts in during the week.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

? for you guys. I've got a  10 mile run 6 of which will be done at HMP (at current HMP). My question is , would Monday be too soon to do a 15 mile moderate paced run 6 miles which will be at HMP? I won't have a chance to get a long run done this weekend so I figured I'd combine my long run with my tempo run that was planned later in the week. My HM is November 2nd so I really wanted to get two workouts in during the week.

Let me make sure I have this right....you're planning a 6 mile tempo on Thursday and then you have a 15 miler planned for Monday.  With no long run this weekend, you're looking to stretch out the Thursday run for extra mileage?  First thought is that there is no such thing as cramming in your workouts.  What time do you have available for running Sat/Sun and are you planning on getting any runs in?  I'd look at maybe stretching your overall Thursday run to 12, 3 up/6 tempo/3 down.  Then you can still get your longer effort in on Monday.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Let me make sure I have this right....you're planning a 6 mile tempo on Thursday and then you have a 15 miler planned for Monday.  With no long run this weekend, you're looking to stretch out the Thursday run for extra mileage?  First thought is that there is no such thing as cramming in your workouts.  What time do you have available for running Sat/Sun and are you planning on getting any runs in?  I'd look at maybe stretching your overall Thursday run to 12, 3 up/6 tempo/3 down.  Then you can still get your longer effort in on Monday.  Just my 2 cents worth.

I have a tempo run on Thursday. I have a long run of 15 on schedule for Sunday. I will be at state College for my daughters softball tournament ( 3 hours away from home) Its  2 day tournament with all day on Saturday and possibly all day on Sunday not including traveling home. I have a strength workout on Tuesday and another tempo run on Thursday which like this weeks it will Bea total of 10 miles with 6@ HMP. I was thinking of combining next weeks tempo run (which I probably didn't specify) and this weeks long run  which would leave me doing my strength workout on Wed or Thursday. I Am stuck with doing my runs this weekend on the treadmill which usually have a 1 hour limit,and yes I'll be running both days since I should be able to squeeze in an hour each morning. I guess I could probably just the 15 with 6 tempo miles in it on Thursday and just keep everything else the same. Apparently I have to have someone put the idea in my head

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling sluggish and tired from a long year of running. But, ran a 10k pr today in 35:50: 552, 543, 546, 542, 546, 544 and 106.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

Feeling sluggish and tired from a long year of running. But, ran a 10k pr today in 35:50: 552, 543, 546, 542, 546, 544 and 106.

Nice job Park!

kcam

Jeez.  I imagine that you could and would push much harder in an actual race.  Nice job.

Did as Mike suggested and got my "long tempo" run done yesterday. Takes the pressure off for this weekend as far as my running goes.LOVE my workouts but not when I have 2 long long days of being outside watching softball.

Feeling the growl again

Just spent most of a week in Munich with a lot of time in a chair, and the rest of it in beer halls.  My sleep pattern sucked so most days I actually got in a run though.

We had under an hour of free time yesterday but I was determined to get a meaningful run in.  I did not have a GPS on me so I just went out and did 3 miles estimating 6:00 pace.  Turned around and came back ~31sec/mile faster.  In retrospect I think I was faster than 6:00 going out so I think this was a pretty solid run.

Now off for a week in Vegas.  FFS, this upcoming marathon is in trouble...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Good for you spaniel.

Did the 5x1k @ ,4 XC repeat workout again. All under the number. With wu and cd ended up ebing a nice 9+ miles. This XC stuff is helping. Oh and brought CR Jr. along. He ran his in <3:35.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just a dude.

Now off for a week in Vegas.  FFS, this upcoming marathon is in trouble...

Wow... someone actually in my state. Too bad you are still roughly 400 miles away...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

So I've finally had some halfway decent long runs. I did 2 1/2 hours Saturday for 15.27 miles. The last 30 minutes were not easy, but I felt pretty decent on Sunday. I have 2 more opportunities for good long runs before I should start cutting back for this stupid Monkey thing.

Should I cap the next 2 runs at 2 1/2 hours or try and push for 3 hours before I back off? I plan to also get a 90 minute run in mid-week in either case.

It it looks like most of the faster guys rarely go over 2 hours, but that wouldn't give me much of a long run distance wise.

This is will be my first marathon attempt and my main goal is just to finish without breaking myself.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

So I've finally had some halfway decent long runs. I did 2 1/2 hours Saturday for 15.27 miles. The last 30 minutes were not easy, but I felt pretty decent on Sunday. I have 2 more opportunities for good long runs before I should start cutting back for this stupid Monkey thing.

Should I cap the next 2 runs at 2 1/2 hours or try and push for 3 hours before I back off? I plan to also get a 90 minute run in mid-week in either case.

It it looks like most of the faster guys rarely go over 2 hours, but that wouldn't give me much of a long run distance wise.

This is will be my first marathon attempt and my main goal is just to finish without breaking myself.

One option would be to go for 3 hours ASAP.  Make sure you take it easy or off the day before and keep it easy on the pace, just finish the time.  The up side would be you'd be better prepared for the what, 4ish hours you will be out there on those hills?  The down side would be the potential to break yourself in some way.

Another option would be to stick with 2.5 hours.  Up side would be less risk to break yourself, and you can use the effort elsewhere in your week.  Down side would be that 4+ hours would be closer to double the length you are used to running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Good summary there, spaniel.  I like the getting to 3 hour as easily as you can (pace doesn't matter) option.  As my marathon times changed from slower to faster to slower to faster  (now to slower again and probably to stay) my long run maximum was always ~3 hours.  This morning I ran 21 miles in 2:51.  It started feeling like I wanted the run to end around the 16th mile or so but it gave me the opportunity to work when the going gets tough as it will in any marathon after the 20 mile mark.  Good practice.

Did as Mike suggested and got my "long tempo" run done yesterday. Takes the pressure off for this weekend as far as my running goes.LOVE my workouts but not when I have 2 long long days of being outside watching softball.

Hope it all worked out for you.

Hope it all worked out for you.

It did thanks! Got 12 with 6 miles @ HMP on Thursday and ended up doing 10 today with 5 @ GHMP. One more workout left before my HM.