3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Actually feel good about my tempo today. Well.. not during it. During it I felt like I was towing a boat. But, the last mile in 533 (last quarter in 75) was definitely a silver lining.

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

Actually feel good about my tempo today. Well.. not during it. During it I felt like I was towing a boat. But, the last mile in 533 (last quarter in 75) was definitely a silver lining.

Awesome!

3X2mile with 1 mile easy (6:58) recovery.  11.0-10.7-10.8mph for the intervals.  Not bad for a rust-buster after over two weeks down for the count and putting on weight.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Every workout is my best workout lately.  There are no impressive numbers to back it up, but it is more of a feeling.

I am not a HR monitor person by any stretch of the imagination, but I often take my pulse immediately after a hard effort, and then again at about 60 to 90 sec. after stopping.  In the first 2 or 3 weeks, my HR took over 5 minutes to drop under 110, and almost 20 minutes to drop under 100.  Every run in the last week, every effort, it was under 100 in 90 sec, or less.  It would be super-cool to me to get a running HR down between 100 and 110 at a pace of around 7:12/mi.  That would be indicative of some good ultra-fitness.

Every workout is my best workout lately.  There are no impressive numbers to back it up, but it is more of a feeling.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Park, when's your next race?

Good question.

I'm not sure. Mostly because I'm not sure how much I get out of racing the local fun runs. At the same time I think I need to race much much more. There are some USATF races in town starting in April. But, they are 10 mile and 12k races.

The track was actually open yesterday and I ran 3200 (first and last lap in 75). I would like to find a track at least every other weekend plus a clone to push through those final 4.5 laps.

Park, when's your next race?

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

10 mile tempo 59:39.  I so wish I could wish weight off....but this was a good result for not doing anything this long in quite awhile.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

10 mile tempo 59:39.  I so wish I could wish weight off....but this was a good result for not doing anything this long in quite awhile.

Gooooood one.  I held about that pace for the last three miles of a 4 mile tempo run on Wed.  Felt really good after the the first mile, and so cranked it up significantly, but it just... never got hard.  Sitting at about 10-lbs down this year - and that really helps.  I am hungry 24 hours a day.  And that sucks.

Pretty long for a tempo run, ... I would have kinda put your run in no-mans-land in terms of category.  I have only rarely done work like that. But all runs are good runs, and I've never believed in that kind of idea - the idea of "junk miles." Sometimes you just have to get out there and see where you are, yes?

Walk-Jogger

Nice one Spaniel! I had a dream that I ran that fast once . . .

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

Pretty long for a tempo run, ... I would have kinda put your run in no-mans-land in terms of category.  

I'm lazy and call any constant, fast-paced run done close to what I can do for the distance without being too hard a tempo run.  Yeah, anything over roughly 6 miles even at my pace is hard to call a true tempo run by the strict definition.

Purpose is different....strength and speed tolerance.  More miles at high effort = adaptation.  I try to use a lot of different stimuli.

Week was broken up with travels to KC for work. Wasn't sure what I'd have time for last night so I rolled right into a tempo 4 miler out of the gate. First two miles in 11:23.  3rd in 5:26 and 4th in 5:17. Cooldown and strides afterwards. Was happy with that last mile and I felt strong and controlled. Rolling in the right direction.

kcam

Nice one Spaniel! I had a dream that I ran that fast once . . .

LOL!  I was thinking along the same lines ...  10miler at 59-something - as a training run.  In my dreams!   Nice one indeed.

This type of run (though not as fast as spaniel does them) has been something I've responded really well to in the past.  I haven't been able to get enough of those runs in the past year and it really showed in my HM and longer races in 2014.

Nice workouts spaniel & mbehr - I know how good you are spaniel and I also see mbehr has vast potential.  I may have set the early pace this year but you boys will come flying through soon enough!!  Your workouts are hugely impressive.

Feeling the growl again

Nice workouts spaniel & mbehr - I know how good you are spaniel and I also see mbehr has vast potential.  I may have set the early pace this year but you boys will come flying through soon enough!!  Your workouts are hugely impressive.

mbehr has the faster 5K PR and lacks the beer gut...I'm in the chase pack here.

Mmmm Beer.

It's nice to have several of us closing in on the same goal.  It provides good motivation and reason to get out there.  Right when I think I'm doing good and putting in some good work, I go and look at your log, Roth.  Damn, you're a work horse.  A little taper and the right timing and we all know who we'll be chasing.

And, yes, mmm beer.  Let's see, my mix for yesterday was a Guiness, Sam Adams Irish Red and then a Sam Adams Cold Snap.  Right, who's talking about a beer guy?