3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Walk-Jogger

Ken, it's good to see you posting again.

I managed to run 13.12 miles yesterday, outdoors and with only one stop for water & gel. I last ran this distance in January and had to walk-jog it, as I was too weak at that time to run more than a couple of miles non-stop. So this felt like a major accomplishment.

Retired &  Loving It

We are actually paying members of a local gym. This means access to far more (and better) TMs.

Monday I did this one:

3 x half mile MP / quarter mile 5K
      2 x half mile MP / half mile 5k

Total of five miles in 28:25. I wasn't sure b/c it was on a TM. But, I went back today and I was back to my usual slogging self. I've had two stellar Monday workouts in a row.. and followed with mediocre runs the rest of the week. Not sure what to think about that.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

Just a dude.

Yay. Ran a whole 3 miles tonight without any issues with the hamstring. Today was the 4th day in a row of running. I might actually be out of the woods here.

Now to re-lose the weight... /sigh

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Yay. Ran a whole 3 miles tonight without any issues with the hamstring. Today was the 4th day in a row of running. I might actually be out of the woods here.

Now to re-lose the weight... /sigh

-Kelly

That's good news Kelly.  Hope it stays that way.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I'm just starting to run again after a very long break (2 years?) during which I gained about  2 1/2 stone (about 35 pounds).

Yesterday i I managed a solid 11 mi progression starting at 9:00 pace, middle 9 at about 8:30 and final mile at 8:00.

I know it isn't much - but it's progress.

Goal is to improve 5k time (23:00 in Feb, 21:40 Mar) to about 18:30 and run a decent autumn marathon.

I'm just starting to run again after a very long break (2 years?) during which I gained about  2 1/2 stone (about 35 pounds).

Yesterday i I managed a solid 11 mi progression starting at 9:00 pace, middle 9 at about 8:30 and final mile at 8:00.

Goal is to improve 5k time (23:00 in Feb, 21:40 Mar) to about 18:30 and run a decent autumn marathon.

Awesome!  Welcome back Purdey.  Progress is good and hopefully you can keep things going.

As I'm 10 weeks out from the tri, I've been trying to get more bike miles in.  Man, those bike miles are eff-in up my legs.  It's hard enough staying focused on one discipline but trying to add in what you need to do for all three, damn, I'm getting beat up.  Then there's lifting and stretching...  **bitchy whining over**

Feeling the growl again

Nice restart, I hear you on the weight thing.  I will wave tomorrow morning as I connect through Heathrow.  The run beef recommended here in Edinburgh was amazing.  My legs are killing me but my highlander ancestors are smiling.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Good to see you back in game Tom!

Ostrich runner

Nice restart, I hear you on the weight thing.  I will wave tomorrow morning as I connect through Heathrow.  The run beef recommended here in Edinburgh was amazing.  My legs are killing me but my highlander ancestors are smiling.

There is a unique feeling to being on that rock that gives a sense of simultaneous transience and permanence. It would really frustrate me when people would come visit the city, and then not go up there. They did a disservice to themselves. Maybe because I grew up in the great wide flat, I felt like it was absolutely compelling, like I had to look at it until I did. You can probably tell I'm a bit jealous right now.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

This sounds so awfully lame when I type it out, but ...

I ran 20+ miles this week!

TheCarlton

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I pulled my groin this winter doing what you do when it's cold out and now I'm starting to stretch things out and dropped a few fast miles today. It felt almost as good as right before I pulled my groin.

Started taking a chlorophyll supplement. This should be interesting.

Also.. 5 miles in 2913 today. Pretty happy all considering. I think I'm abandoning the wave tempos for awhile. Without a long run, I really need to work longer tempos into the mix.

My sister is getting married in a month. What do I win? A trip to beautiful Delaware! Its pretty much a nightmare. Golf, tennis, general lounging for a week. Surrounded by family. Im not sure this could be worse. Warriors better make the finals. Its the only way this can be salvaged.

kcam

Also.. 5 miles in 2913 today. Pretty happy all considering. I think I'm abandoning the wave tempos for awhile. Without a long run, I really need to work longer tempos into the mix.

My sister is getting married in a month. What do I win? A trip to beautiful Delaware! Its pretty much a nightmare. Golf, tennis, general lounging for a week. Surrounded by family. Im not sure this could be worse. Warriors better make the finals. Its the only way this can be salvaged.

5 miles in sub-6, in training.  Sweet.

Trust me, it could be MUCH worse!  Try this one on for size ... I have my two daughters getting married, bookending the summer.  One in June, one in August.  So I get to sandwich the summer with a trip to Sacramento and a trip to Long Island, NY wearing my monkey suit.  My wife is getting crazier by the day ("are these shoes cute?", "is this dress cute?" "look at this flower arrangement, what do you think?" ....AAHHHH!  I don't know, they look all look fine to me).  I have to make sure I don't use up my best 'lines' on the first wedding's toast and not short-change either bride.  And to top it off I have the distinct privilege of paying the lion's share of both shindigs.  I think I'm gonna take it all out on the damn grooms, it's their fault anyway!

Oh, I had a decent couple workouts last week (a nice set of 1600's and 8X400 Repitition workout) .. not that it will matter as my running life will be curtailed this summer.

What's the supplement suppose to do for you?  Good plan focusing on the longer tempos.  I still think you need to find a way to stretch out at least one of your runs to 90 minutes, even if it's every 10-14 days.  Good luck next month.  Sounds like you have a good excuse to break away for a run every once in a while.

Ken, good luck with surviving the wedding planning.  I think you have your perfect escape from the planning details....running.  Good luck with the activities.  It will be a memorable summer for you.  I think you need to take the grooms out for a run and put the hammer down on them. 

I'm just plugging and chugging along here.  No real work outs worth highlighting.  Been pretty steady over the last 6 weeks and have averaged 70 min in the water, 70 miles on the bike and 40 miles running per week.  I feel like I should be getting more quality in on the running but it's tough finding the energy and ensuring I'm recovered from the riding.  I've been hitting some of the rides pretty hard, so that should be good for something.  5.5 weeks to go...

Its supposed to help promote iron levels and keep soreness down. I guess it can help increase my oxygen intake. Supposedly doing something to red blood cells. Of course there are hardly any legit sources / studies out there. I'm giving it a 50-50 chance of doing anything. Call it hopefully optimistic. Its kind of fun to do an experiment on myself. And the acupuncture I tried this year was amazing. So, might as well try more new hippy things.

I agree about the need for a 90 min run. Just not going to happen. It would make sense to find time on the weekend, but I actually have less time to run on Saturday / Sunday. Im curious about your training and how the triathlon will help. There are lots of great athletes that combine multiple disciplines... .like how I was just reading about the Memphis Grizzles hit the bike to stay fit while injured.

Ken, that sounds difficult. Living with the Mother of the Bride.. I cant imagine. I remember my Mom losing her mind around my wedding. Times that by two? You will be lucky to be alive at the end of it all. It is the grooms fault. Oh.. and the money thing. Its bad enough to pay for the flights to the East Coast.. but to pay for the party too.. Ugh.. That said. It will be fun!