3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Four mile alternating tempo in 23:20 today. About 20 seconds slower than the last time I did this in January, but I feel much better this time. Very much in control. and focused more on the 1200m offs over the 400m ons.

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

Heh.. same workout as before 4 mi (1200m off / 400m on). This one was outside and ran it in 22:45. Didn't feel that hard. Wasn't even pressing on the final quarter in 73.

kcam

Nice to see progress like that!

I've changed things up a bit - now I've decided to drive up to Sacramento today (stay the night in Davis with my daughter) and then run a 5K Sunday morning.  It's certified and flat and I need a road race fix!  I SHOULD be faster than my last 19:25.  This is the Let's Roc race held near 45th & X.  Based on last year's results there should be ~10 runners faster than me and another 5 or 10 near the time I'll be running so some competition.

MTA - the above assessment was pretty accurate. Winner ran 16:36 and I was 13th overall and 3rd in my AG with a 19:12.6.  #1, #2 and #3 in 50-54 were 19:10.4, 19:10.8 and 19:12.6 and overall finish order was 11, 12 & 13.  Dammit, I like to think that if I had known that my competition was so close I could have put on a better show (but probably not)!  I did give a half-hearted effort to run down #12 at the end but it was a little too much time to make up.  I had been running and chatting with him at around two miles but I let him get away from me some.

Sacramento continues to not disappoint in the 'racing scene'.  Another wonderful race.  Highly recommend  - certified, fast, well-marked course, great organization, pancake breakfast afterwards.  Sac (or the immediate area) would be high on my list of places to retire just based on this alone.

Thanks Robin!

Heh.. same workout as before 4 mi (1200m off / 400m on). This one was outside and ran it in 22:45. Didn't feel that hard. Wasn't even pressing on the final quarter in 73.

Great stuff!  I will have to give this workout a go again myself - I really liked it when I tried it - it's good mental prep as well as physical.

Nice 5k Ken!

MTA - the above assessment was pretty accurate. Winner ran 16:36 and I was 13th overall and 3rd in my AG with a 19:12.6.  #1, #2 and #3 in 50-54 were 19:10.4, 19:10.8 and 19:12.6 and overall finish order was 11, 12 & 13.  Dammit, I like to think that if I had known that my competition was so close I could have put on a better show (but probably not)!  I did give a half-hearted effort to run down #12 at the end but it was a little too much time to make up.  I had been running and chatting with him at around two miles but I let him get away from me some.

Dang Ken, so close!  Like you said, racing a few more 5k's will fix that focus.

Between what you say on the racing scene in that area what all those New Englander's share on their racing scene, we live in the wrong area.  We've been looking for races to do with kids around here and seeing the race prices ranging from $35-40 per participant for a 5k is crazy.

That's a pretty solid result Ken. Looks like the winner runs with the local XC Club too. I have not raced over in that neighborhood yet. But, it is super flat out there. And the morning temps Sunday were pretty good for racing.

MTA - the above assessment was pretty accurate. Winner ran 16:36 and I was 13th overall and 3rd in my AG with a 19:12.6.  

UGH!! That's what it is everywhere I look too! Makes no sense.

Hardly any races run on the track / XC. Im sure the road races have high costs to run.

We've been looking for races to do with kids around here and seeing the race prices ranging from $35-40 per participant for a 5k is crazy.

Feeling the growl again

We've been looking for races to do with kids around here and seeing the race prices ranging from $35-40 per participant for a 5k is crazy.

I know of this crazy grass track beer mile which could easily morph into a 5K and has no entry fee.  Just sayin'...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just a dude.

I know of this crazy grass track beer mile which could easily morph into a 5K and has no entry fee.  Just sayin'...

As nice as that sounds, for most of us the travel expenses would more than make up for the savings on the entrance fee... :-/

I'd love to though.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Finally completed this workout..

1 mile at 10k, jog a quarter

half at 10k, half at 5k, jog a quarter

1 mile at 5k

Wasn't dying in the last mile. Hopefully that's what the second mile of a 5k will feel like.

Not a good workout but I think I'm now on 6 weeks in a row of running to/from work on a Thurs with the jogging stroller (with K in it). Also getting out at least two other times in the week, generally three. Not much mileage compared to the old days but it's running and on the occasions I'm not pushing the stroller I even feel like I have some fitness and a tiny bit of speed!

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Not a good workout but I think I'm now on 6 weeks in a row of running to/from work on a Thurs with the jogging stroller (with K in it). Also getting out at least two other times in the week, generally three. Not much mileage compared to the old days but it's running and on the occasions I'm not pushing the stroller I even feel like I have some fitness and a tiny bit of speed!

Hops!  Good to see an update from you.  Starting back up with some consistency is always good and the little added resistance with the stroller is always good.

Feeling the growl again

Wow, Hoppity sighting!

I feel the same way, except the stroller I'm pushing is around my waist and harder to leave at home.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Hop is back. Hooray. Glad you're back at it and making K go too.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mona fartlek today.. 3.58 miles (536 pace). Felt pretty good. Almost tripped with half a mile to go when we were yelled at by construction workers. Kind of shocked that I could put down something close to 5k pace at times.