3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

I had a GREAT couple workouts over the past few days. PR'd  the 10k on Sunday and PR'd in the 5k today! My son also had a great workout today. Today was a scheduled day off since he just did his long run on Sunday (yesterday he ran a recovery run) however tomorrow's weather looks to be quite nasty so I gave him the choice to run today or tomorrow. He chose today. He decided to do a 2 mile time trial and finished the 2 miles in 15:34  (7:52 first mile 7:42 second mile)  He's got a 5k on Sunday so I'm really excited to see how it goes for him

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Thanks to Rocken for inspiring me not to be a grumpy couch potato while I try to get over this injury.  I set up my long-neglected road bike on the magnetic trainer I have not used since 2001 and went at it for an hour.  I'm not sure what it did for me....my legs were burning but I felt like my breathing was hardly up at all.  But it's better than staying on the couch I guess.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

lemonade from lemons  very Hurtlockerish  LIKE

Thanks to Rocken for inspiring me not to be a grumpy couch potato while I try to get over this injury.  I set up my long-neglected road bike on the magnetic trainer I have not used since 2001 and went at it for an hour.  I'm not sure what it did for me....my legs were burning but I felt like my breathing was hardly up at all.  But it's better than staying on the couch I guess.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Triathalon training Big grin

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Triathalon training Big grin

Heh.  Well, I still can't swim worth a damn but if I do not get back to good running soon and spend significant time on the bike there would be a possibility I'd do few duathlons.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

This is a good article on using the bike as crosstraining... hope you heal up quickly.  Wheel benefits 

Feeling the growl again

This is a good article on using the bike as crosstraining... hope you heal up quickly.  Wheel benefits 

Good article; thanks Tony.  Biking is not running but I don't doubt the benefits as in HS I went from 19:37 to 17:14 in one year through 70% biking.  A lot of it, just a 3-speed tour bike on mostly dirt roads.  However I have not been on a bike literally in years, so it was hard to get a lot out of the first ride back.

What rpm should I be shooting for?

Glad I can be of some help around here lol. Nice job on getting on the bike!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

It's almost like, what stride rate or pace should I be running?  Answer is that it depends.  I'm no biking expert but I think the typical suggestions will be around 80-95+ cadence rate.  It's pretty close to the "optimal" running cadence of 180.  Of course, the challenge always becomes what gearing you have available and what resistance you can set your trainer to.  Like running, you can play around with varying resistance, simulating hill climbs, sprints, etc.

FWIW, whenever I'm on the elliptical I usually shoot for a 180 cadence and adjust the incline and resistance to help get the HR up.  That is usually the problem I have when it comes to XT, whether it's the elliptical or bike.  I've found that while on the bike, it hardly feels that I get an aerobic workout in but the legs definitely feel it when I try to walk afterwards.

It's almost like, what stride rate or pace should I be running?  Answer is that it depends.  I'm no biking expert but I think the typical suggestions will be around 80-95+ cadence rate.

That's about right for typical riding -- the equivalent of an easy run.  Going lower is more strength work-like, higher is more cardio/aerobic.

FWIW, whenever I'm on the elliptical I usually shoot for a 180 cadence and adjust the incline and resistance to help get the HR up.  That is usually the problem I have when it comes to XT, whether it's the elliptical or bike.  I've found that while on the bike, it hardly feels that I get an aerobic workout in but the legs definitely feel it when I try to walk afterwards.

I recall reading that HR was typically some 10bpm lower for the same aerobic effort on the bike v. running.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I would say 90+, although my normal cadence is in the 70s. (I'm working on riding with a higher cadence).  Lower cadence (with more resistance) will strengthen your legs, but I'm not sure that helps running.

Good article; thanks Tony.  Biking is not running but I don't doubt the benefits as in HS I went from 19:37 to 17:14 in one year through 70% biking.  A lot of it, just a 3-speed tour bike on mostly dirt roads.  However I have not been on a bike literally in years, so it was hard to get a lot out of the first ride back.

It takes a while to get to the point that leg strength/endurance isn't the limiting factor, but once you get to that point, you can get a good aerobic workout.

It's almost like, what stride rate or pace should I be running?  Answer is that it depends.  I'm no biking expert but I think the typical suggestions will be around 80-95+ cadence rate.  It's pretty close to the "optimal" running cadence of 180.  Of course, the challenge always becomes what gearing you have available and what resistance you can set your trainer to.  Like running, you can play around with varying resistance, simulating hill climbs, sprints, etc.

I think that's about right. On the bike, your legs aren't supporting your entire bodyweight (unless you stand on the pedals), so it's tough to reach the same HR even with an all out effort (although I have hit my max HR trying to hang with some of these crazy cyclists who love the dang hills).

That's about right for typical riding -- the equivalent of an easy run.  Going lower is more strength work-like, higher is more cardio/aerobic.

I recall reading that HR was typically some 10bpm lower for the same aerobic effort on the bike v. running.

I'm hitting that rough stretch of marathon training - long tempos, long interval sessions and long runs.  Notice the theme?  I've had several good workouts but I'm most pleased with the last two 10-mile tempo runs and the last two long runs.  Hit 57:26 last week and 57:21 this week for the tempo runs.  My 10-mile PR is 58:55 (mostly crushed limestone path and done on one of the first real humid days of the season).  Still the tempo efforts were 1:30 better than the race PR.  Long runs have been over hilly terrain.  For the Chicago burbs, that's a pretty good feat just finding a decent route with hills.

Feeling the growl again

I'm hitting that rough stretch of marathon training - long tempos, long interval sessions and long runs.  Notice the theme?  I've had several good workouts but I'm most pleased with the last two 10-mile tempo runs and the last two long runs.  Hit 57:26 last week and 57:21 this week for the tempo runs.  My 10-mile PR is 58:55 (mostly crushed limestone path and done on one of the first real humid days of the season).  Still the tempo efforts were 1:30 better than the race PR.  Long runs have been over hilly terrain.  For the Chicago burbs, that's a pretty good feat just finding a decent route with hills.

You poor bastard.  Smile

I was supposed to be there right now.

YMMV but I found 10-mile tempo runs during full mileage to run fairly close to my resulting MP.  Which puts you what, low-2:30s right now?