3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May 2014 Racing Thread (Read 39 times)

Last minute decision to jump into a 5k tomorrow morning. Casey's Run 5k in Waterboro, ME. So out of touch with 5k mentality right now, but gotta start somewhere. <20 goal because hey, why not.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

5/17

Galena Duathlon (2 mi run / 16.8 mi bike / 4.2 mi run)

Goal: <1:35

3OA with a 1:33:35.

Wow, these hills were something else.

2 mi run - 11:21 (5:41/mi)

16.8 mi bike - 54:40 (18.44 mph)

4.2 mi run - 24:45 (5:53/mi)

Both the runs were an out and back. The 2 miler started with a 0.5 mi downhill stretch before you started uphill to the turnaround.  To give you an idea of the hill, mile 1 was a 5:08.

After coming into transition first, I made a clean get a way with a guy that was right on my tail. Passed him on the big hill right out of transition and never saw him again. About 3 mi in, I got passed by two triathletes that switched to the du that morning. (Temps were in the upper 30's overnight, so I don't blame them for not wanted to swim.). There was no keeping up with them. About four others passed me on the bike. They passed me like I was standing still.

The last run started with a BIG hill right out of the gates. Went through the first mile in 6:28 and just worked to get breathing under control and find a groove. There was no way I could make up the 4-6 minutes that I lost on the bike in the run.

Overall, it was a fun day. Got a $15 gift card to a local tri-store, bottle of champagne and a one night stay at a place here in Galena. Guess the wife and I will be making a trip back here with no kids sometime.

kcam

No official results yet but I ran 1:54:38 but did get 2nd in my AG (and a really cool wooden plaque).  I tellya what, I was seriously demoralized after the 5mile mark when it was crystal clear that there was NO WAY IN HELL I was running 1:39 or anywhere close to that.  I just couldn't understand how I had so underestimated my potential finishing time.  Turns out the 1st place 50-59 guy from last year (who ran 1:39:17 - WTF!!!) told me, after the race laughing, that though the finishing places were correct from last year the computerized timing was screwed up by over 10minutes!  He said he actually ran 1:49!  HolyMolie no wonder.  I still finished 2nd to him and it wasn't close.  I think I was ~8th overall.  It was a blast running full-tilt down the single track trails that had burms on them from the mountain bikers!  The altitude did a number on me, I think the locals have an advantage there.

Wow, major props to you Ultra guys as I couldn't imagine running 50K or 50M on that course.  Fun stuff and I'm sure it will hold me in good stead for my near future races.

Summary:  Great people, great course if very difficult for a roadie like me ... I didn't bleed(!), I'd run it again.

Whussup Spaniel?!  Hoping your race went well.

Feeling the growl again

No official results yet but I ran 1:54:38 but did get 2nd in my AG (and a really cool wooden plaque).  I tellya what, I was seriously demoralized after the 5mile mark when it was crystal clear that there was NO WAY IN HELL I was running 1:39 or anywhere close to that.  I just couldn't understand how I had so underestimated my potential finishing time.  Turns out the 1st place 50-59 guy from last year (who ran 1:39:17 - WTF!!!) told me, after the race laughing, that though the finishing places were correct from last year the computerized timing was screwed up by over 10minutes!  He said he actually ran 1:49!  HolyMolie no wonder.  I still finished 2nd to him and it wasn't close.  I think I was ~8th overall.  It was a blast running full-tilt down the single track trails that had burms on them from the mountain bikers!  The altitude did a number on me, I think the locals have an advantage there.

Wow, major props to you Ultra guys as I couldn't imagine running 50K or 50M on that course.  Fun stuff and I'm sure it will hold me in good stead for my near future races.

Summary:  Great people, great course if very difficult for a roadie like me ... I didn't bleed(!), I'd run it again.

Whussup Spaniel?!  Hoping your race went well.

Sounds like a nice run for you, sometimes you have yo not worry about the clock and just run.

mine is a Sunday race, I need to turn in shortly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

I did have a good race.  Sorry, today's only Saturday?! Woohoo I have an extra day of weekend!  It feels like Sunday because I took off Friday to drive up to Reno, then raced Saturday.  Good luck, again Spaniel.  Knock em dead, kid!

mbehr - sounds like you gave those tri-athlete guys all they could handle on the run sections.  Too bad the runs weren't longer!  Nice job.

Robin - I have no advice 'cept to maybe step back in mileage and workouts and start building slowly to another peak.  Can't be in peak shape all the time (as I've learned the hard way).  Patience!

Just a dude.

Yup... that sounds like trail races around here. Glad to hear you survived ok with no injuries or face plants.

I find sometimes my legs are sore from all the quick turns. Works mucles I don't use much dealing with the uneven ground and quick turns. Hope you're not sore tomorrow.

Sorry I couldn't make it up there... :-(

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

mbehr- Congratulations on 3OA and lots of prizes too!

ken -  Congrats on 2nd AG and not bleeding!

Good luck spaniel!

steph  

Last minute decision to jump into a 5k tomorrow morning. Casey's Run 5k in Waterboro, ME. So out of touch with 5k mentality right now, but gotta start somewhere. <20 goal because hey, why not.

Nope. 20:06. Ran garminless and stupid, died halfway, but had fun and relearned what a 5k feels like.

Now, to more important matters, good luck Spaniel! Go get that.

Feeling the growl again

Win in 2:46:25.   more later.  Having beers with Pauly.  :-)

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Awesome. Congrats!

Walk-Jogger

Spaniel, wow - Excellent running!!

Retired &  Loving It

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Pauly's log has a great write-up on it Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Awesome spaniel!  Way to go!

steph  

Just a dude.

Awesome. WTG.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Woo Hoo!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.