3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

April Racing Thread (Read 1407 times)

I am very happy with this.  It is only 5 minutes off of my PR on a harder course.  However, I realize that this is just a checkpoint on my way to a complete comeback.  Much, much more work to do.  Onward.

Nice work, Mr. Finn!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

A fail for me - but a great day anyway.  x-posted from half marathon trainers

Waitarere Half Marathon

This has to be the best organised race I've been to bar none.  They had everything covered.  Its an off-road run around flat forest tracks.  There were big clear accurate km markers, plenty of water - in paper cups, lots of toilet facilities at the start so no queueing, lots of helpers at registration.  Huge field to park in, friendly volunteers directing you there.  Chip timing, powerade and a nice medal at the finish.  They've asked for feedback and I cannot think of a single thing they could improve.

The race itself - I probably went out a bit fast.  I was running the sort of time I should have been doing on a road course - but the slightly softer ground and occasional gravelly or sandy bits just slowed me a bit.  So by half way I could really feel it, and the last few kms were a struggle.  Still I kept pushing on and was pleased with my result.  1.33.52, 8th lady, 1st in my age group.

I couldn't stay for prizegiving as I'd promised to go back my running club and lead out our slowest / shortest pack run (40mins at about 6.40 per km). 

Prince of Fatness

Official time is 1:17:17.  Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

Great job!  I went to check out the results and was reminded of why I've never raced that course. ONE day I may but I'll never likely place in my age group that's for sure. The *old geezers and geezeretts* are damn fast.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Nice work PH, good to see the comeback really start to get rolling. I suspect big jumps lie ahead now that you've got that racing feeling again. And it's a good thing, since I don't seem to be much competition for a certain locomotive these days.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Dude Tater!!! NICE work!!! I forgot to post in advance, but ran the Yakima Valley Canyon Marathon today in 3:28:17. A measly 4 minute PR but dang getting under 3:30 finally sure feels good. Some good hills and an occasional 30mph headwind so I'm not complaining.

I missed this earlier - congrats on breaking through the 3.30 barrier!!!

L Train

I missed this earlier - congrats on breaking through the 3.30 barrier!!!

I missed that too - nice race!

L Train

since I don't seem to be much competition for a certain locomotive these days.

We would have been better off if Boston were in late February. 

Prince of Fatness

I missed that too - nice race!

+1

Not at it at all. 

Congrats Sara! I know how much you wanted that....i'm so happy for you! Big grin

Congrats Sara! I know how much you wanted that....i'm so happy for you! Big grin

+1! CONGRATS!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Congrats to all the weekend racers!  Some good performances to set the benchmark for us in April.

Congrats on the AG win Mandy!!!

I am feeling great after Saturday, but sub 3:20 is calling to me now. Smile

~Sara
                            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Dude Tater!!! NICE work!!! I forgot to post in advance, but ran the Yakima Valley Canyon Marathon today in 3:28:17. A measly 4 minute PR but dang getting under 3:30 finally sure feels good. Some good hills and an occasional 30mph headwind so I'm not complaining.

This is great! Congrats, Sara!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Congrats on the AG win Mandy!!!

I am feeling great after Saturday, but sub 3:20 is calling to me now. Smile

You have more than a sub 3:20 in you. Just my opinion.

You know what you have to do to get it too. It's waiting.