3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Text exchange with the wife (Read 494 times)

BCR is probably out running right now.

Probably. But it doesn't matter....i'll just do it faster later.

L Train

I haven't even gotten around to the preselling stage yet.  I'm in prepreselling which really just involves a conversation that goes something like:

Me: Hey can I talk about running for a second without pissing you off?  I "know" some people who ran in Colorado this weekend. 

Mrs Train: No. 

I think that's a good start. 

When Mr Hoppity (that really doesn't sound right) saw the belt buckles, he was actually tempted to run Pbville or another 100miler where you can get a buckle.  He's that damn fickle, but sometimes that's a good thing.  I just need to work on his need for a buckle and I could be sorted.  He quite liked the idea of a few months climbing and running at altitude, ending up in CO and running a stupid race.  Now of course the reality of training, time off and finances are there, but I was still quite excited.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

C-R

I haven't even gotten around to the preselling stage yet.  I'm in prepreselling which really just involves a conversation that goes something like:

Me: Hey can I talk about running for a second without pissing you off?  I "know" some people who ran in Colorado this weekend. 

Mrs Train: No. 

I think that's a good start. 

That's a great start. One brick at a time. You should be ready to take a shot at the 2020 version.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just a dude.

Hahaha...

I have no intention of ever doing a 100 miler... but this is my text convo:

Me: So what would u say if I wanted to run a 100 mile race in very high altitude Colorado?

Her: Wow! That's a looong race! Idk. That's worse than a marathon.

Me: 30 hours is the cut off... People get a prize for under 25 hours.

Me: 9-12000 elevation on mostly trails.

Her: That's crazy! When would that race be? Will u be up to it? I don't want you to be hurt or keel over...

Me: This year's just finished... So next one is next summer.

Her: Well, idk.  Isn't that the length of almost 3 marathons?

Me: Almost 4

Her: Ouch!

Me: So... Whatcha think?

Her: Idk. It sounds scary to me.

Me: Even with a year to run in the mountains around here to prepare?

Her: Well, preparing is good. but it's such a long race...

Me: So should I not go for it?

Her: You can probably do it, but it sounds like it would take a toll on your body.

Her. It's a grueling distance. And you'd be running for 24+ hours without sleep. Sad

Me. So I'll rest the next day  :-)

Me: (Or week)

Her: Lol!

Me: So should we save some vacation time for the end of August, 2012?

Me: Just in case?

Her: Idk. The kids will be going off to college then, won't they?

Me: No... Senior year

Her: Oh! I was confused.

Her: It's a possibility then. I'd want to be there if u do it.

I don't know if my wife is really awesome or totally naive... But I'll take it either way.

And NO, this is not my announcement that I want to do Leadville... I still see myself as a 5k and under guy... Smile

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Hawt and sexy

I need to get a railroad spike. After I get a railroad spike I would have to wonder if a belt buckle was possible.

I'm touching your pants.

C-R

I need to get a railroad spike. After I get a railroad spike I would have to wonder if a belt buckle was possible.

Seems like an odd fashion accessory but whatever blows your hair back.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Aw, Kellys wife is cool.

Hawt and sexy

I could keep a big ass bun in place with a railroad spike.

I'm touching your pants.

C-R

I could keep a big ass bun in place with a railroad spike.

Both scary and interesting in one sentence.

Seriously thought, what race gives you a railroad spike? Prometary Point ultra or what?

Hawt and sexy

Viaduct Trail Ultra. Rocken has a pretty one from being the first woman to ever finish 100 miles there.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

I think the : | is most likely a "look" of acceptance rather than anything else.  

You two seem to have everything very balanced, perhaps helped by being open about what you want from running and each other.

The coolness of long runs with your partner and talking running outweigh that though.  He's also supportive of me wanting to keep running if/when we have kids.  We've talked in terms of him being able to be around for some runs, but also we think a treadmill will be a good purchase.  Who knows, having children is never a sure thing, but at least he respects my wanting to run enough to see that it is something I will always want to do. 

: I  =  "You're going to do this dumb shit anyways, I can't believe I'm actually going to enable this idiotic behavior again."

I would not say we're balanced, I probably still take more than I give but the expectations are balanced, and at least I'm trying Wink

I liked to run with her but that's impossible with the kids...and the speed differential is too great, she used to get annoyed when we'd go for a run and it was cool, then I'd strip off 2 layers to run back home 4min/mile faster.  I do look forward to a time when she can bike next to me again.  Doubt she'd do that in Leadville though....

And yeah, big +1 on the treadmill, there were weeks last winter I put 70 of 90 miles on it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Viaduct Trail Ultra. Rocken has a pretty one from being the first woman to ever finish 100 miles there.

That's cool. I do have give props to the ultra RD's as they find some interesting baubles.

L Train

What's an ass bun?

Feeling the growl again

When Mr Hoppity (that really doesn't sound right) saw the belt buckles, he was actually tempted to run Pbville or another 100miler where you can get a buckle. 

Me too and I don't know why.  It's probably like having a burn scar on your hand in Fight Club.  Someone who sees it and knows what it is, and has been there, doesn't need to say anything.  They just give you a respectful nod.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills