3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

the challenge thread (Read 506 times)

C-R

I am. Getting plenty of rest.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R

22:47 on a challenging 5k course this morning and still 17 lbs overweight. This may be a tight one before 12/31.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

22:47 on a challenging 5k course this morning and still 17 lbs overweight. This may be a tight one before 12/31.

You win by default if I don't run one...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

Ease up there big guy, you want to be able to recover in time for the race.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Kalsarikännit

I got an idea from this thread, and challenged DB to beat me by more than 20 miles at Desert Solstice. After much whining and trying to negotiate a lower number, he finally agreed. We have a six pack on this bet.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Its been over a year since I raced anything. My 5K PR is 22:50 (from 2010 Nov) best I've done since was a 23:26 on a net downhill course, any takers?  Need some motivation to get after that PR.

DoppleBock

Yes, I already picked up the 6'er of PBR 

I got an idea from this thread, and challenged DB to beat me by more than 20 miles at Desert Solstice. After much whining and trying to negotiate a lower number, he finally agreed. We have a six pack on this bet.

But at least this 24 hour race I will not have to worry about going in over-trained ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Of course if I win - I will not get to drink the beer anyway as my wife seems to always beat me to it.  A couple cans left over from skiing this weekend and I go to look for them ... gone!

Did the heathen woman drink them on Sunday night - She knows we are not allowed to drink beer on Sundays until we are done with Church ... No Church - No beer!  Early Church - Early beer!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Of course if I win - I will not get to drink the beer anyway as my wife seems to always beat me to it.  A couple cans left over from skiing this weekend and I go to look for them ... gone!

Did the heathen woman drink them on Sunday night - She knows we are not allowed to drink beer on Sundays until we are done with Church ... No Church - No beer!  Early Church - Early beer!

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Its been over a year since I raced anything. My 5K PR is 22:50 (from 2010 Nov) best I've done since was a 23:26 on a net downhill course, any takers?  Need some motivation to get after that PR.

Hmmm... What'd you have in mind?  Gimme a timeframe when you think you'll be ready.  If it's late 2013 I might go head to head, otherwise I'd probably request some sort of time handicap. I haven't been close to my PR in over a year either (August 2011). 

Michael, How about a TT/race this month and set the handicap for a March/April time frame.  Or since our 5K is pretty close (your PR is faster and more recent) how about a straight up match for a April race. If I run a race before that I'll report here and that becomes the new bench mark to aim for (if faster than my PR).  Any later than that it gets too hot down here.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Sounds like a plan.  I have a 5K on New Year's Day and another that I'm eyeing for Feb 3rd  just reread the note on TT/race this month so lets go with New Year's race for a benchmarking.   Either of those That should give me a good idea where I am to handicap for an April race.  How does April 7th or April 13th weekend sound? I'm running Blue Ridge Marathon April 20th so I'll be toast for speed for a while after that.

MTA: A March / April race I know I'll be nowhere near PR shape so I'd say no to the head-to-head at this point.  We can revisit that later on in the fall though, if you want.

How does April 7th or April 13th weekend sound?

Your challenge, so I know I don't get a vote...but I vote April 7 (Danbury) so I can see the finish!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

How about I'll go ahead and plan for April race and you'll have rest of the summer to beat that.  If much longer time frame I'll lose focus and start training for some other stupidity (like a relay or something).  Also If I don't beat 22:00 It will be a fail, so that's the benchmark for me.

FWIW my PR was set while tapering for my first marathon ( the week before monkey), and it was a big improvement (1:28 over the previous time).  

Okay, I've been noodling this idea for a while, and I'm currently in serious danger of failing it before it even starts. It'll take a very stupid 4 day running stunt for me to pull it off. So anyway, 4 days to go in February. My challenge is this... Whatever total mileage you ran in January, beat it this month. And then next month. And so on, for the whole year. I challenge the entire Hurtlocker with this one. Since I'm posting this so late in February, if it's not possible for you to beat January, start now, and carry it on for the rest of the year. Every month higher than the month before.

Can you do it?

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.