3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Well so much (Read 664 times)

Depending on what pace you ran them, 2:10 could be a pretty short recovery.  When I run them at 8K-10K pace (say 5:00-5:20 depending on my conditioning) I take 3min recovery.  If you are taking say 6-7min/repeat with that recovery I can't see you running them at 8K-10K pace.

I was running them a little slower than tempo effort. Being on the road I tend to have a hard time concentrating on the speed since I'm more worried about getting hit. I have a feeling I'll be taking the 20 minute drive to the rail to trails to do intervals the next time (or a track if I can find one open to the public)

0ab  

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

I was running them a little slower than tempo effort. Being on the road I tend to have a hard time concentrating on the speed since I'm more worried about getting hit. I have a feeling I'll be taking the 20 minute drive to the rail to trails to do intervals the next time (or a track if I can find one open to the public)

0ab  

Dang, sounds like you have bad places to run if you have to worry about it that much.  Sad

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Dude, step away from tinman. And which Advanced Marathoning version you got? You know he assumes you have already done a base phase, right? If I recall, Pfitz is OK with tempos in base for elites, but not intervals. Now, as for the definition of elites....

What's wrong with doing some interval work even during base phase? Say once every other week just to break the routine. Serious question.

Won't your body self regulate speed based on conditioning so injury wouldn't be a major concern?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hawt and sexy

It forces me into peak. Since I am human, I assume it does the same does everyone else. Doing intervals while stale or flat would accomplish what exactly? Shittier speed? More likelihood of injury? And for what? the knowledge and glory of Yeah I can do this while stale? It would keep me stale and plateaued. I would not improve one bit. It's a waste of a workout on me if in base phase. It would completely compromise the idea of base for me. Interval are intended to get you up to the top speed you have possible for a goal race.  If you always have a goal race 8 weeks out then go to town. But if there is no goal race, why bother? It's no fun being stale anyway.

I'm touching your pants.

Dang, sounds like you have bad places to run if you have to worry about it that much.  Sad

drivers just don't pay attention.Wasn't long ago a kindergardner got hit while crossing in the crosswalk by the school. I got hit on a run in the middle of the day wearing my neon yellow Boston volunteer jacket in Januaray

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Define interval.

My version was 5K-10K paced with longer recoveries.  She ran shorter recoveries and up closer to tempo pace.

These are two completely different workouts.  The latter could equally be considered a well-defined fartlek and done year-round; the former I would not necessarily recommend including routinely in base phase.

Yet, by an objective definition, both are intervals.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

drivers just don't pay attention.Wasn't long ago a kindergardner got hit while crossing in the crosswalk by the school. I got hit on a run in the middle of the day wearing my neon yellow Boston volunteer jacket in Januaray

I'm convinced drivers are, on average, much more distracted than they used to be.  I never thought twice about biking on rural roads when I was a kid...never had any problems either.  I think it will drive me crazy when my kids want to do it.

Stay safe out there...

It forces me into peak. Since I am human, I assume it does the same does everyone else. Doing intervals while stale or flat would accomplish what exactly? Shittier speed? More likelihood of injury? And for what? the knowledge and glory of Yeah I can do this while stale? It would keep me stale and plateaued. I would not improve one bit. It's a waste of a workout on me if in base phase. It would completely compromise the idea of base for me. Interval are intended to get you up to the top speed you have possible for a goal race.  If you always have a goal race 8 weeks out then go to town. But if there is no goal race, why bother? It's no fun being stale anyway.

not to sound "elites" but my body responds way differently than most. I have  an amazing ability to recover (or maybe it's because I just don't do things right) I've managed to finish a 100 mile race , many 50 milers, marathons and even managed to BQ at the Marathon without using a training plan other than my "seat of my pants one"  When I lifted weights I listened to my body. and followed it's cues.  I'm not feeling stale right now, what I'm feeling is that my body has had enough "rest"  and is ready for some serious training (as tough as it will be over the winter)  

MTA: I am feeling WAY TOO GOOD!   I am  feeling stronger and stronger each weak. I am seeing much improvement when it comes to my heart rate and my easy pace (easy pace is dropping steadily). If this is stale I'll take it!!  Right now i'm enjoying my running/workouts, I'm sure  once I really start doing the hard stuff I won't be enjoying it quite so much. 

Define interval.

My version was 5K-10K paced with longer recoveries.  She ran shorter recoveries and up closer to tempo pace.

These are two completely different workouts.  The latter could equally be considered a well-defined fartlek and done year-round; the former I would not necessarily recommend including routinely in base phase.

What I did today wasn't all that hard so I can't imagine that it would have any real significant negative impact on my training. 

I'm convinced drivers are, on average, much more distracted than they used to be.  I never thought twice about biking on rural roads when I was a kid...never had any problems either.  I think it will drive me crazy when my kids want to do it.

Stay safe out there...

Oh I agree! When I was a kid my parents had no problems letting me walk 3 or so miles home from school every day when I was in 3rd grade  (on some pretty big roads I may say). WE live a mile from the twins school and NO WAY IN HELL are they walking there without supervision!

Thanks

C-R

Define interval.

Ok. So we are talking about fartleks at tempo (15k times) between 2-5 minutes each with 2-3 min recovery. And this would be ok during base phase.

5k -10k is for sharpening in the last session leading up to race day (I think you and Willa both are of this opinion while using varied description).

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

C-R

Stay safe out there...

Today on my drive I counted no less than 15 people screwing around with smartphones (and yes I am an engineer and I am seeking help for this OCD Big grin) while driving happily down the road. This was a five mile round trip and in safe central IN. Drivers are way more distracted now than when I was just starting to drive. 

Of course music kept us distracted.

Interesting that Spaniel thinks what I thought was close to  my 5K pace as not even being 10K pace.  I am scared now of having to run a 10K at that pace.  Will be a 3 minute PR if I can hold that pace.   Although I do feel faster, not by 30sec/mile.

Hawt and sexy

Fartleks are something that can be done any time for me to break monotony. But once you start telling me to go to x distance y times at any pace faster than my half marathon pace, that's a peak phase and my 8 weeks has started. Hell, tempos can bring it on If a go fast enough Yeah, my first set of intervals in a season are super slow, but they get better and then pffffffft. I kinda hate that 8 week thing, but it's all I have ever had. I get to hold that for all of one week, then I tank.

I still wanna see that PR in any race if you are feeling so great. Seriously, if you feel that great, the hamstring must be nothing. Go get 'em tiger.

I'm touching your pants.

Hawt and sexy

Whoa, I was an engineer. That's weird. I did rocket science and stuff in school. Then I made manufacturing plans. Now, I run a household. It's sexy.

I'm touching your pants.