3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March 2014 Racing Thread (Read 41 times)

3/29 - spaniel - Blame Spaniel 5K - Lizton, IN - sub-17:30

Can't you do this on Friday?  We'll be driving through the area then.

Feeling the growl again

Can't you do this on Friday?  We'll be driving through the area then.

Hmmm...Friday evening?  What time you plan on coming through?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I could probably do Friday evening, although you two would be sitting around for quite a while waiting for me to finish.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Hmmm...Friday evening?  What time you plan on coming through?

Talked with the DW last night and looks like we're leaving early in the morning.  We have another family caravaning with us and we are hoping to make it to Chattanooga, TN that day.  Timewise, I think we'll be rolling through around 12-1.  Probably too early anyways.  I know I could get Nathan to run wtih me but the other two and the other family- eh, different story.  BTW, you're still known as the fire pole guy to the kids.

Feeling the growl again

Yes, we are not on spring break until next week so that is too early....all us locals will be working still.

Well bring them out for the beer mile, the pole...as well as the electric green gator toy...are still here!  Smile

Talked with the DW last night and looks like we're leaving early in the morning.  We have another family caravaning with us and we are hoping to make it to Chattanooga, TN that day.  Timewise, I think we'll be rolling through around 12-1.  Probably too early anyways.  I know I could get Nathan to run wtih me but the other two and the other family- eh, different story.  BTW, you're still known as the fire pole guy to the kids.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Walk-Jogger

I'm going to do this hilly sucker on Saturday:

Date Who Race Name Location Distance Goal Result
              3/29 Cecil59 Campus on the Run 5K Pullman, WA 5K < :20   

They've changed the route a little bit again this year, so times from one year to the next on this race are not exact comparisons, but it's definitely not a PR course - tough to break 20:00 for me on this one. The university track and CC runners aren't allowed to enter, so it's mainly "regular" university students and employees. Sometimes I finish in the top 3, and sometimes a bunch of fast kids show up and I'm back in the pack, duking it out with the Lieutenant colonel from Military Science, who is a decade or two younger than me. I believe he beat me last year, but I beat him the year before, IIRC.

http://campusontherun.wsu.edu/

Retired &  Loving It

Just a dude.

3/1 Cecil59 Campus on the Run 5K Pullman, WA 5K < :20   

You mean 3/29 right? Wink

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Walk-Jogger

You mean 3/29 right? Wink

-Kelly

Oops, thanks for catching that. I was in over my head already, trying to use the table format for the details.

Retired &  Loving It

Nice running all!

My track hour ended up as 16618m and I felt rotten about 4 laps in.  I think I may be due a bit of downtime from racing (after 5k this Saturday coming) to get back to proper training rather than the race - recover cycle I'm in at the moment.

Walk-Jogger

I just got recruited onto a relay team for this Sunday's annual 100 K relay & ultra race. I'll be running the anchor leg, 4.24 miles of mostly gradual uphill, and it will probably be cold and windy. Relay's are fun and I don't have to try to PR or anything so it will be a good tempo workout. I was supposed to run this race on a master's team but that fell through and left me without a team until this morning.

3/30 Cecil59 WSU 100K Relay, Leg 10 Pullman, WA ~4 Miles Team Win, sub-7 hours    

Edit* I just checked my running log and I last ran this leg of this race in 2011, in 29:34, into a cold stiff headwind, after running another 8 mile leg. So my goal time this Sunday will be to beat 29:34. Weather looks like it's going to be the same, cold and windy, with a slight chance of rain.

Retired &  Loving It

an amazing likeness

I haven't raced much at all this year, really been pinned down by the winter. So after a few beers tonight, decided to head out tomorrow and test the legs a bit before opening my half marathon season next weekend...

Milktruck

Race 2 the Point 5K

Pine Point, ME

5KM

22:40 would be ok (fat, slow and old is no way to run a 5K)

24:13 on this course last year...1.5mi steady downhill. turn at the cone in the parking lot at the Clamshack restaurant, run up the hill.

mta: Thanks C-R, sorry about missing race location...I'm rusty at submitting entries...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Sub-24 for me? Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

In my dreams.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

Sub-24 for me? Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

In my dreams.

I wondered if you saw that.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Walk-Jogger

3/29 Cecil59 Campus on the Run 5K Pullman, WA 5K < :20   21:06 

NOPE.

21:06, a personal worst  for my 5k races in recent years. I am clearly under-trained on hills at the moment, plus the nearly mile-long hill climb  in the middle was straight into the wind, with gusts up to 24mph, so it was brutal. The course was not changed from last year as I had thought, same exact route, and I was over a minute slower today from last year. Still good enough for 4th place over-all and won my A/G by 3 minutes or so. 

The young man whom I beat in my 10K race a couple weeks ago ran this race today and beat me easily by 45 seconds. We chatted for a bit after the race while waiting for our age group awards (he was also first in his A/G) and turns out he' s a mechanical engineering grad student here at the university on exchange from Switzerland, and will be around until fall, so he was interested in finding other races and perhaps car-pooling to them since he doesn't have a car. 

http://campusontherun.wsu.edu/

Retired &  Loving It

I'm "racing" tomorrow, in quotes because I'm treating it like a time trial. A full out effort 20 mile race 3 weeks before Boston just seems like a spectacularly bad idea. I just hope that A) My sense of what 90% effort pace might be is at all accurate and B) I can resist the dumbass urge to let it become a race against friends who are also running. We'll see.

Anyway, it's the Eastern States 20 Miler. Goal is 2 hours at 7:30 pace then the last 4 miles at 7:00 pace, for exactly 2:28:00. I suck at running even splits but I'm gonna try. I'll call anything between 2:27:00 and 2:29:00 a success.

Oh, and the weather, of course, is supposed to be super extra crappy. Of course. Yay!

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.