3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

50-miler racing (Read 833 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

(FWIW, which isn't really anything as I'm just hobbyjogging to finish 50mi, I don't plan to run 30mi in training, myself. I'd be satisfied to get another long run day followed by long run day.)

I have since remembered that I did run two 50Ks this summer, with my 50 in mind, so actually I did do 30 in practice. I stand corrected.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

With a week to go I'm nearing the end of any real training.  Probably a 12-miler and 10-miler this weekend and then not much next week.

Getting sick really botched my already-abbreviated 3-week training plan and killed my only race-specific training, a 30-miler, at 6 miles.  Was aiming for a 100-mile week of easy running, then two 80 mile weeks with more workouts.  Got ~60, ~35, and ~70 this week.

I thought my running was sucking in general but I am now sure it was mostly due to the calorie and carb restrictions I was following, which brought my weight down from 159 to 152lbs over the past 5-6 weeks.  Was hoping to be <150lbs on race day but that won't happen.  I've added back some pre-run carbs now, and I feel really good.

Thanks to the advice here I have my race-day nutrition plan locked....we will see how it goes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just a dude.

Good luck Spaniel... Sounds like you'll have a great run...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

DoppleBock

Stay smooth - Definately should be relaxing and not pressing until 10 miles to go.

Since most people will fade - It really becomes a race with yourself until that 10 miles to go point.  A race to pace right and take care of all the little things to be ready to go @ 40.

Have a good one.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Stay smooth - Definately should be relaxing and not pressing until 10 miles to go.

Since most people will fade - It really becomes a race with yourself until that 10 miles to go point.  A race to pace right and take care of all the little things to be ready to go @ 40.

Have a good one.

Thanks...this is going to be a new feel for me for sure, the first 40 miles.  Other than a slight headwind on the return (from which the course is mostly sheltered through trees), the weather is looking phenominal, in the 40s/low 50s for the race.

I think I have my plan figured out...will be sticking in the low-7s for most of the race, trying to stay on the 6:00 bubble then driving it home if I'm capable.

I appreciate all the learnings here.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

So Wed is a strategy session? Good to know. I can come prepared. Oh wait. I've got nothing so how 'bout I buy you a Guiness for good luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

So Wed is a strategy session? Good to know. I can come prepared. Oh wait. I've got nothing so how 'bout I buy you a Guiness for good luck.

That would start my carb loading off right....

Problem Saturday will be that my adrenals will be blown from having to fight rush hour Chicago traffic on the way up. 

Ostrich runner

Good luck. The simple lessons I've learned. Take care of your feet, if you notice any problem at all, deal with it immediately. Really, right then. Have dry stuff available. Ginger chews work wonders.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Good luck. The simple lessons I've learned. Take care of your feet, if you notice any problem at all, deal with it immediately. Really, right then. Have dry stuff available. Ginger chews work wonders.

Like what problems? Seriously, I don't know what to do about feet. And I googled ginger chews, and they're a candy?

Prince of Fatness

Wow spaniel.  So you're really going through with this.  And here I thought that you were one of the more intelligent people on here.

So I leave you with this....

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

Like what problems? Seriously, I don't know what to do about feet. And I googled ginger chews, and they're a candy?

A pebble in the shoe, a little spot rubbing, broken shoe lace, blisters, etc. People deal with them all sorts of ways, but some of those I would ignore in, say, a half marathon. Ginger chews are great for nausea.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Wow spaniel.  So you're really going through with this.  And here I thought that you were one of the more intelligent people on here.

So I leave you with this....

Don't call me Shirley.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

A pebble in the shoe, a little spot rubbing, broken shoe lace, blisters, etc. People deal with them all sorts of ways, but some of those I would ignore in, say, a half marathon. Ginger chews are great for nausea.

Oh, I haven't had nausea. I've had blisters, including the bottom of the foot kind resulting from sock folds, I think. Probably if I'd stopped and messed with it, that might have helped keep it from growing the whole race.

Feeling the growl again

Fuck.  This is going to hurt, isn't it?

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Good luck spaniel! If you make your goal you should be in the top 3.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.