3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Pro running discussion (Read 108 times)

Sometimes its just good to win.... by 9 min!

*Mo runs for Hansons-Brooks.

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

200 people in the race and nobody else under 23 minutes??? I've never encountered a race THAT slow!!

MTA:  I think even the Color Me Rad I did a couple years back had a few people besides me under 23....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Now, that's a solo time trial. Wonder why he picked that race?

Feeling the growl again

Now, that's a solo time trial. Wonder why he picked that race?

I just checked....he's from CT, no obvious connection.

While I was there, it was interesting to note that Hansons-Brooks is now more than half women.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Not exclusively running, but what an asshat.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

That's for sure.

steph  

Just for the record.. it wasn't the doping that really pissed people off. Im still not sure why or how he still views himself as a victim. Persecuted to this day. Gross.

LA Marathon looks like fun: Ryan Hall, Shadrack Biwott, Scott Bauhs, Matt Llano, Carlos Trujillo, Patrick Rizzo, Jared Ward, Sage Canaday, Daniel Tapia, Sergio Reyes and Max King. Likely not to win.. Luke Humphrey (Hansons-Brooks coach / author). Cheyne Inman (Sacramento Running Association).

Feeling the growl again

Just for the record.. it wasn't the doping that really pissed people off. Im still not sure why or how he still views himself as a victim. Persecuted to this day. Gross.

LA Marathon looks like fun: Ryan Hall, Shadrack Biwott, Scott Bauhs, Matt Llano, Carlos Trujillo, Patrick Rizzo, Jared Ward, Sage Canaday, Daniel Tapia, Sergio Reyes and Max King. Likely not to win.. Luke Humphrey (Hansons-Brooks coach / author). Cheyne Inman (Sacramento Running Association).

Absolutely.  It's one thing to cheat.  It's quite another to not only be a pathological liar who to this day presents themselves as some sort of victim, and to be totally non-apologetic for the lives/careers he intentionally trashed to his own ends.  He and his lawyers were ruthless in going after anyone who tried to expose him.

Now I'm really interested to see what Hall can do in LA.  Hopefully it's a ton better than Boston's 2:17 and he can get back on track.

Yes, it's sad to see that he thinks he's a victim of all of this.  What's even worse is how prevalent it is in the sport and that they think it's OK to cheat because everyone else is doing it.

More Diego Estrada... cant believe he runs 50 mpw.

You teamed up with Vigil in the summer of 2013. Last year was a tough year on the track and you took some time off after the Payton Jordan Invitational in late April, so how’s the training finally coming together now?

I run about 50 miles per week. Even for this half-marathon, the highest I got up to was about 70 miles. At first the workouts were aggressive and now they’ve just become normal. Basically, when I got sick, I took a month off and I started building back up carefully. We started off with five-minute pace and got down as low as 4:25 pace for interval workouts. With mile repeats and tempos we would go about 4:35. My body weas reacting to the workouts differently. I could go out and do a tempo and not feel like it was taking too much out of me.

Feeling the growl again

More Diego Estrada... cant believe he runs 50 mpw.

You teamed up with Vigil in the summer of 2013. Last year was a tough year on the track and you took some time off after the Payton Jordan Invitational in late April, so how’s the training finally coming together now?

I run about 50 miles per week. Even for this half-marathon, the highest I got up to was about 70 miles. At first the workouts were aggressive and now they’ve just become normal. Basically, when I got sick, I took a month off and I started building back up carefully. We started off with five-minute pace and got down as low as 4:25 pace for interval workouts. With mile repeats and tempos we would go about 4:35. My body weas reacting to the workouts differently. I could go out and do a tempo and not feel like it was taking too much out of me.

It must be awesome to have that kind of talent.

I used to be coached by Marc Davis, Olympic steeplechaser and still holder of the 5K roads US record due to Lagat getting screwed by a course measurement error last spring.  He told me he never ran more than 50-odd mpw either.  He said it was just talent, and that people like me couldn't get away with it and just needed the volume to bring out the kind of performance that was his just by genetics.

Even among elites, the talent to run that well off such low mileage is relatively rare.  And the funny thing is, people like that often don't get much better by increasing volume.  It's like there is a cap on performance that you can have talent to naturally put you close to, or you have to use volume to train yourself there.

Look at Grant Fisher, for example.  I know his coach, I used to run marathon relays with him with some frequency.  He's not doing anything special with Grant, the kid is simply a phenominal talent.  Coach is just smart enough not to blindly pile miles on the kid when clearly he might not need them.  Scannell himself was quite a talent back in the day, ran his marathon PR beating Bill Rodgers.  While he did pound out high mileage in his prime, when he began seriously running again when he hit 40 and had master's performances to chase he's hit the treadmill at lunch 3 times a week and turn it all the way up to 5min/mile for 3 miles, then hurry back to work....and break 15 for 5K off that and not much else.

Found it..

Kind of hilarious.

Also, the leaders all, at one point, CUT THE COURSE! 

Feeling the growl again

Found it..

Kind of hilarious.

Wow,  that's unreal.  A DQ in my book.  There was nothing confusing about that turnaround.

Yeah.. I've read a little about Fisher and his training. I want to say he was doing 30mpw + soccer last year. He is lucky to be with a coach that had that kind of talent in his day. It would be easy to screw that one up. At this point, does Stanford / Miltenberg give any input into his training?

Feeling the growl again

Yeah.. I've read a little about Fisher and his training. I want to say he was doing 30mpw + soccer last year. He is lucky to be with a coach that had that kind of talent in his day. It would be easy to screw that one up. At this point, does Stanford / Miltenberg give any input into his training?

No idea on the rules around that.  With the success he's having if it were me I'd let it ride.