3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Fall 1-Mile Challenge (Read 1148 times)

Feeling the growl again

Carried over from the July Throw-down thread...

Rules:

- Run an all-out mile time trial sometime between now and August 15th.

- Set a goal.  A hard one.

- Run another all-out mile time trial, preferably on the same course/track, between Sept 15th and 30th.  So you have some flexibility on when you start and end this, as you are only accountable to your own goal (and a well-placed boot in the ass if deserved of course).

- Run.  Do it.

The Crew:

Baseline       Goal      Result      Delta

beef                                  7:33

C-R                                   5:53             5:30

CliveF                               Injury withdrawl, heal up!!!

Dopplebock                    5:33.7          5:13.8

Happyfeet                        6:48             6:30         6:47         -0:01

Hoppity                             6:56             6:40

MilkTruck                         6:38             6:33

MrFinn                              6:28             6:15         6:19         -0:09

obsessor                          6:34             5:50         5:46         -0:48

pfetro                                5:28             5:10

rabutler                             7:25             7:05         7:08         -0:17

rockenmamo5                 6:33.18       6:20

spaniel                              4:56             4:48

TeaOlive                           7:38             7:20        7:32.35     -0:05.65

The turtle moves              5:58             5:45

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks Spaniel.

Now for the training part of this, I have run one Mile TT 3 years ago in about 7:00, the course may have been a slight 20-30 ft downhill over the mile as it follows a stream.  So no real experience running one and more importantly training for one.  Would you recommend that 2 sets of 2 X 800 from the other thread once a week (I thought that was a predictor run more than a training for one), or do we do shorter intervals like 16 X 200, 10 X 400, etc.  I already do once a week track work, but these are with a group and the rest is a bit too long (equal time to running). I can either run another interval session or a 2-3 mile Tempo at 5K pace + 30-45 sec,  I've done this in the recent past without too much trouble.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks Spaniel.

Now for the training part of this, I have run one Mile TT 3 years ago in about 7:00, the course may have been a slight 20-30 ft downhill over the mile as it follows a stream.  So no real experience running one and more importantly training for one.  Would you recommend that 2 sets of 2 X 800 from the other thread once a week (I thought that was a predictor run more than a training for one), or do we do shorter intervals like 16 X 200, 10 X 400, etc.  I already do once a week track work, but these are with a group and the rest is a bit too long (equal time to running). I can either run another interval session or a 2-3 mile Tempo at 5K pace + 30-45 sec,  I've done this in the recent past without too much trouble.

Well what I am going to do is not going to follow my advice.  But that is because of my specific situation and the fact that while doing this challenge I also have a 50-miler coming up in a few weeks.  So take it in that context.

It depends if we are assuming that you are trying to improve your mile in the context of also training for longer races, or if you want to really focus on this, knock the mile down while perfecting your speed, then switch gears back to a more mixed strategy focusing on longer races.

Both options have their tradeoffs, but here are my general thoughts on both, assuming 4-6 weeks of training for the goal:

1)  Improve mile while maintaining overall focus on longer races

-- Add 3-6 200m nearly all-out accelerations after 2-3 runs per week.  These are drills more than workouts, we keep them to 200m because longer starts to become a workout.  Take full recoveries.  You can do these after another workout, by doing 10-15min cooldown, doing these drills, then another short cooldown.  Or you can add them after easy (NOT recovery) runs.

-- Roughly maintain overall mileage

-- One interval workout a week; start with like 10 X400 or 6-8X600 or ladders (400-600-800-1200-800-600-400) with longer recoveries to focus on getting the speed below mile pace...not these 5K-paced intervals on shorter recoveries we would normally do.  Work down to the shorter, more painful workouts (the 2 sets of 2X800).  Recoveries wil be longer and you will be really feeling the burn in these.  If you are just high-end aerobic like a distance boy workout you're not going to get what you need of them.

-- Keep doing a tempo run.  If you get tired you can combine it with your "long run".

2)  Focus on optimal mile:

-- Find "Sub-4:00" by Chis Lear, which follows Alan Webb's single year at the University of Michigan.  Ignore Webb's drama and focus on the types of workouts they did.  Informative.

-- Reduce mileage to allow you to do what I detail below

-- After a couple weeks of 1 interval and 1 tempo per week, go to 2 interval workouts per week

-- One day is "long intervals", what you're probably used to (distance boy workouts), more intervals, longer, shorter recovery.  The other is fewer intervals, faster, longer recovery.  200s, 400s, 600s, 800s, ladders of them.  600m is an odd distance but I find them very useful.  So 5K-ish paced on the long day and sub-mile pace on the short day.

-- If you really have some energy left over, you can do some tempo stuff on your "long run" day, which should probably be shortened from whatever you were doing before.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Wow that is a lot of information, thanks for taking the time.

Onto the next challenge to make use of the 200 miles run in the heat. I have to say that it is the first option as I have a relay on Sept 7-8, and the final TT is perfectly timed for week after Sep 15.

One final question, are all the ladder interval paces at roughly the same 3k pace or so? If it is that 1200 is going to hurt.

DoppleBock

I will decide in the next couple of weeks, but if I do I will have 2 of my own rules

1)  I am going to run 1600 and convert it to a mile time

2)  I will not be able to run by 2nd one until near the end of September - To make any sense to me I need the opportunity to do 4 speed workouts to support the improvements.  There are 2 or 3 weeks where I will not be doing speed work coming up.

I have never tried to run all all out 1600 or mile.  In 2006 I was able to do 3x1600 avg in @ 5:30, I may not be able to break 6:00 right now.

I too would likely do it as part of a 5x1600 speed session with the 1st 4x1600 at perceived LAT pace and the 5th all out.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I will decide in the next couple of weeks, but if I do I will have 2 of my own rules

1)  I am going to run 1600 and convert it to a mile time

2)  I will not be able to run by 2nd one until near the end of September - To make any sense to me I need the opportunity to do 4 speed workouts to support the improvements.  There are 2 or 3 weeks where I will not be doing speed work coming up.

I have never tried to run all all out 1600 or mile.  In 2006 I was able to do 3x1600 avg in @ 5:30, I may not be able to break 6:00 right now.

I too would likely do it as part of a 5x1600 speed session with the 1st 4x1600 at perceived LAT pace and the 5th all out.

Think of them as "guidelines".  Smile

Feeling the growl again

Wow that is a lot of information, thanks for taking the time.

Onto the next challenge to make use of the 200 miles run in the heat. I have to say that it is the first option as I have a relay on Sept 7-8, and the final TT is perfectly timed for week after Sep 15.

One final question, are all the ladder interval paces at roughly the same 3k pace or so? If it is that 1200 is going to hurt.

The 1200 will be a little slower than mile pace, 3K sounds a little slow.  Remember, longer recoveries.  You DO want to build up high levels of lactate during these.  So it's not just the last one that hurts...

Well, hell.  I missed the July foolishness on account of I'm lazy, and I'd otherwise miss this one-mile foolishness because I'm training for a marathon and don't want to screw it up.

But let me be the example of how marathon training improves one's track times.  If I can get the mile TT done in the opening window, I'm in.  I won't be doing any of Andy's workouts (helpful though that post was), just plain-Jane marathon prep.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive, If you can come over to Belmont Abbey next Tuesday, this is what we have scheduled.

Tue       Aug 7    GRC August AGE GRADE                      1 mile RUN         Meet @ 6:30 1st section @ 7:10

What that means is the coach does these monthly races and normalizes them using age grade handicaps.  Meet at 6:30, have a brief chat about the workout for the day, do some drills, then the workout. If more than 10 folks show up, to avoid lapping and stuff the runners are divided into 2 groups, 7 min/mile and faster run the fist section (at 7:10 PM according to that schedule), all others after the first group is done.

Not sure if I'm in, but am tempted.  However my husband says he's probably in if you'll have a non-Hurtlocker member (but RA user).  Hopefully he'll post for himself at some point, but if not I'll update his progress etc (I friggin' love being his PA).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

Not sure if I'm in, but am tempted.  However my husband says he's probably in if you'll have a non-Hurtlocker member (but RA user).  Hopefully he'll post for himself at some point, but if not I'll update his progress etc (I friggin' love being his PA).

Sure. But what is his deal, are we too intimidating? Wink

Clive, If you can come over to Belmont Abbey next Tuesday, this is what we have scheduled.

Tue       Aug 7    GRC August AGE GRADE                      1 mile RUN         Meet @ 6:30 1st section @ 7:10

What that means is the coach does these monthly races and normalizes them using age grade handicaps.  Meet at 6:30, have a brief chat about the workout for the day, do some drills, then the workout. If more than 10 folks show up, to avoid lapping and stuff the runners are divided into 2 groups, 7 min/mile and faster run the fist section (at 7:10 PM according to that schedule), all others after the first group is done.

That sounds sweet, but I can't do TUE -- my wife teaches, and my son and I have Boys Night Out.

I can probably slide into something track-y up this way, though.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Sure. But what is his deal, are we too intimidating? Wink

That's probably it. Also, he's a lazy sod. 

MTA: Plus he always takes the chronic pee out of me for having "geeky internet friends" but then seems to want to hear all your opinions on running and read what you're up to.  I guess starting to post in here would mean he has to accept he also speaks to imaginary people.  His username is The Turtle Moves but I think his log is hidden right now and hasn't been updated for most of 2012 despite him now running on a regular basis thanks to the run to/from the railway station twice a week as part of his commute (it's quite cool in some ways as I run him to the station and then tag on another 6 miles or so to get my morning run in) and then weekend runs too.  He took a good year or so out of running after a consistent few months in 2010 (which followed about 14 years of no running) but as soon as he builds a bit of fitness up (which he has now done) he is always the faster and stronger runner of the two of us (we have to run long for me to start to win).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

kcam

I'd sign up for this but I'm about done with mile races this year.   Only one more on the schedule and I've about had it with really fast running this summer - 800's and miles hurt too much.  I have my last one this Saturday.  

Mile-ing and the August Weight Loss Challenge:  

I ran my first mile of the year in February, at 157.5 lbs, in 5:33 during an all-comers race on the track.  Then did lots of distance training (long intervals/short recoveries; tempo runs, long runs ~16-18miles) through May.  Did one month of short interval work in June, then nothing but strides, pickups, fartleks, maybe a hill repeat or two since (but no real interval workouts) and races.  I ran 5:21.5 for a road mile about three weeks ago, at 148.5 lbs.  The training through the month of June has got me peaked pretty well and my weight at a place it's never been before; 11 second PR at 5K on July 4th and that road mile (which is the fastest I've ever run a mile - though not PR due to the downhill course bias).  I will be looking for <5:19:59 Saturday.   At this point I'm just trying to maintain peak fitness for another two weeks and work on leg turnover / mechanics .... AND weight maintainence if not drop a pound or so.  I think weight loss had a lot to do with my improvement this year, of course training is much more important and goes hand-in-hand here.

Good luck on the mile challenge ... it's gonna hurt!  Perfect for the Hurtlocker.

Modified - my mile isn't Saturday a week, it's this Saturday.  Sheesh.

Prince of Fatness

Well I may be called whimpy but I am really not going to focus on the mile time directly.  I am just going to use this challenge as a means of getting into the habit of incorporating faster running into the routine on a regular basis.  My "training" will probably consists of some fartleks and fast finishing some easy runs.  That's more than I am doing now, at least.

That said if I do as planned and lose the weight that I want, the time should go down.

Not at it at all.