3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2020's in the books (Read 31 times)

kcam

I ran only two 'real' races, both were 10mile road races one in Jan and one In Feb, then of course everything was shut down.  I did do my club's 'races' every Saturday so I got in a lot of racing.  I feel like I've made progress this year with decent mileage again, some good work on weight and very good progress on the injury front as I have zero injuries or niggles now (knocking on wood now!).  How was your 2020 running year?

MTA:  and Happy New Year.  Hope that 2021 is better than 2020 on all fronts.

2020 was a bit lower in mileage than I would have liked.  I started a new job last fall and that became a priority.  The good news is that I finally was able to rid myself of a pesky PF problem in my left foot.  I dealt with it since late November of 2018.  It just wasn't getting any better.  I was able to run and even race with it, but eventually 3 months of minimal running at the beginning of 2020 solved the issue.  I've been running healthy since late March and was happy to run the mileage I did for the year.

I had zero races due to cancellations of everything.  I didn't feel that was a huge deal since I used the time to get back into racing shape. I'd really like to race this upcoming spring and summer.  I guess we'll see what happens.  I'm hoping for the best.  I have no clue how well the running will go this spring, but we have no snow right now so I'm enjoying the trails while I can.  I'll likely aim for races in April and May if all is well.  Mostly shorter stuff, 5ks, 10ks, 12ks and such.  I may do something longer in the fall, but I'd like to jump into a few summer track races and xc in the fall.

Does anyone else have any goals for the new year?

I'm quite impressed with your stat tracking.  Quite the detail and good look at split of activities.

2020 was more of a building year.  After getting the torn achilles healed in 2019, it was a good time to not focus on races and just get out there.  I ended up biking quite a bit (3311 mi) for the year vs running (1511 mi).   I did my first century ride and did compete in one race, a half iron distance tri.  It was a pretty last minute decision.  I swam 7 times in the weeks before the race, so I was hoping to just get through that leg and let my bike and run fitness take care of the rest.  After the tri, I switched over to straight running and finished off the year pretty well.  Looking forward to keep building on where the fitness is and see what I can do.  No real goals other than to not let my 14 yo be faster than me yet.  It's a matter of time before he is, so I'll enjoy it for now.

Happy New Year all.

C-R

Nice stats. 2020 was a poor year for me in running.

That changed yesterday. Dry Jan and focused training. Will cross train more especially biking.

Lots of work to do but it will happen.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

I somehow screwed up that photo linked in the first page, LOL!   It seems to be gone now.  Anyway, all that data is just what comes from my log here on RA.  Download it from RA and then import it into my spreadsheet.

My goals for the year are modest (if you can call them goals) ... another 2000+mile year and maybe get my 5K closer to 20minutes again.

Lets get after it for 2021, peeps!

Feeling the growl again

I didn't quite hit 1K in 2020 but sadly that was a step up.  Looking to build from there.  Hip injury hasn't been truly limiting in awhile...a year ago I was completely debilitated from running.  So that's pointing in the positive direction.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Glad to hear your hip is starting to get better, Andy.

Sheeeit - I forgot to mention my frickin biggest news for 2021 !  I'm retiring the first week of February!  🥳

I have grandchildren in California and New York and now will have time for some trips out East to see them.  That assumes travel restrictions begin to ease.  The wife wants to travel some as well.

Being injury-free I can also spend more time doing gentle runs in the mountains out here.

Sheeeit - I forgot to mention my frickin biggest news for 2021 !  I'm retiring the first week of February!  🥳

I have grandchildren in California and New York and now will have time for some trips out East to see them.  That assumes travel restrictions begin to ease.  The wife wants to travel some as well.

Being injury-free I can also spend more time doing gentle runs in the mountains out here.

That is some big news!  Congrats on your upcoming retirement.  Traveling and running in the mountains sound like a great thing.

C-R

That's awesome. More time for lots of different things and injury free is a definite bonus

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Glad to hear your hip is starting to get better, Andy.

Congrats.  I have mixed feelings seeing people I don't view as "old" retiring, reflects on myself Wink  but I'm nowhere close despite my best wishes.

Best wishes for how you can now spend your time.

I'm trying to use some recent work stability to transition to serious behavior/training modification and do some serious weight loss, which is a predecessor to considering any serious running-related goals.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

Andy - glad things are looking up for you.

2020 saw me start running again in March.  I gently built up to a pretty solid base and logged approx 2,500 mi in those 9 - 10 months.

No real races (obvs).  Had a sweet 50 mi race with 20,000ft of vert cancelled, which was a shame.  But achieved a solo unsupported FKT on the 49 mi Test Way which was probably a highlight (along with a great 2 days solo run along the 87 mi Ridgeway).

This year sees a 78 mi trail race (maybe.... UK in National lockdown atm) as a build up, then the South Downs Way 100 mi in June and the Brecon Beacons 100 mi in July.  Both races are in as UTMB qualifiers - a race which I'll be trying to score a place in for the next few years.

Keep safe folks.

DoppleBock

2021 can't be any worse than 2020.

I did get to see C-R in person in 2020 ... So 2020 has that going for it.

2020 I crawled back into a hole when Covid hit ... Jan 2021 I decided to crawl back out for awhile ... So far 2021 has been a bunch of waddling - jogging - walking - Weight lifting.

I am trying to find some resolve and committment to train toward Glacial 50 Mile in October 2021.  I am not there yet.

Carry on

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Happy retirement !

DoppleBock

Been getting 50 Miles per week - Run / Walk ... Trying to slowing bring it up to all run.  Minimum of 2,500 ot TM vertical ... avg @ 4,000 per week.  1-2 LR ... run the whole way of 8-10 miles.  Too fat and old for speed.

If I continue (Why shouldn't this year be a success when the last 6-7 were failures) ... I will find a race to run in July.  But only if I lose 40 pounds by then

Nice to see everyone.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Nice to see everyone.

Mike!!!