3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

August Racing Thread (Read 1334 times)

Feeling the growl again

Good to know.  I should add that I have no intentions to push her into running at all. 

Unless it's in a jogging stroller, then you are GTG.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

Good to know.  I should add that I have no intentions to push her into running at all. 

Nads, this wasn't aimed at you my friend!  I have absolutely no doubt at all that you will be a far better parent than I ever could!!

Didn't take it that way at all, just clarifying.

(MTA: your kids look pretty happy and well-adjusted. God bless them). 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

My point was basically what Purdey said. The too young and needing to develop as an athlete first part.

Our kids...cross country and track, or any other sport they're interested in that will develop them as athletes. No marathons even if they want to.

There's a reason elite runners don't transition to the marathon until later. Shalane Flanagan, for example.

MTA: I should note that I mean our future kids as we only have a dog currently.

Feeling the growl again

There's a reason elite runners don't transition to the marathon until later. Shalane Flanagan, for example.

Historically IMHO it's been more that there's money to be made from racing more frequently on the track.  That is changing lately with the latest crop of African studs.

I think this is why we are/will see a resurgence in the progression of the marathon....people will no longer wait until they are past their prime and losing their speed before moving up to the marathon.

Other than that yeah, I totally agree, I'd never want my 14 yo running a marathon.  Way too early, especially if they are running it hard enough to beat someone as fast as you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Other than that yeah, I totally agree, I'd never want my 14 yo running a marathon.  Way too early, especially if they are running it hard enough to beat someone as fast as you.

To be fair to the girl, I had just came off of my stress fracture last summer and months of trying to shake the anemia. I only ran 3:25, as did she. I don't know if she has ran a marathon any faster than that...I forgot her name and stopped looking her up.

But, thats still fast for a 14 year old. Paavo is 2000 up, 2000 down. Not Monkeys 3000....but still.

The King of Beasts

Paavo is 2000 up, 2000 down. Not Monkeys 3000....but still.

same guy keeps winning both. nice guy too.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

DoppleBock

Won't she be 15 this year? 

August 13th, Paavo Nurmi Marathon

Goal: TBA

Don't place 2nd to a 14 year old this time? Wink

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Paavo is typically hotter - They do have the long hill strategically placed just past mile # 25

My 1st Paavo

3:00:17

My 1st Monkey

3:00:46

So obviously Monkey is @ 30 seconds harder than Paavo.

To be fair to the girl, I had just came off of my stress fracture last summer and months of trying to shake the anemia. I only ran 3:25, as did she. I don't know if she has ran a marathon any faster than that...I forgot her name and stopped looking her up.

But, thats still fast for a 14 year old. Paavo is 2000 up, 2000 down. Not Monkeys 3000....but still.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Paavo is typically hotter - They do have the long hill strategically placed just past mile # 25

My 1st Paavo

3:00:17

My 1st Monkey

3:00:46

So obviously Monkey is @ 30 seconds harder than Paavo.

My best Monkey was 3:24:56

My best (and only) Paavo was 3:25:31

So Monkey is easier.

MTA: And yes, I suppose she will be 15 this time. Heh.

August 6th - Wellington Road Championships (10k) - goal is sub 40.

This one is a qualification race for 2 different things - a place on the Wellington team for the National Road Champs which are 2 weeks later, and a place in my club's National Road Relay team.  I have no idea if sub 40 will be enough for those things!  I also have no idea if I can run sub 40.  In fact in some ways I can't believe I'm even talking about it!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Aug 2, track 5000, I'll try to PR

(assuming I have timers or run two heats -- so can use timers from other heat -- so I can run)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

August 6 - Staggerwing Duathlon (2.6 mile run/18.6 mile bike/ 2.6 mile run) - goal < 1:31 which will be a 4 min PR... and pull my weight on the free beer drinking.

8/6/11

Lake Minnewaska Triathlon

Glenwood MN

400yd swim, 10.2m bike, 2.5m run

Goal: Top 5 AG, sub 1:02:00

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

August 7th:  soundRunner Sea Legs Shuffle (Guilford, CT) - 10 miles - in current shape, will be happy with 1:40 1:30 or better.

August 14th:  Falmouth Road Race, Cape Cod - 7 miles - 59:59 or better

Contemplating a couple more.

MTA:  Damn fat fingers...