3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

August Racing Thread (Read 1334 times)

August 6th - Wellington Road Championships (10k) - goal is sub 40.

This one is a qualification race for 2 different things - a place on the Wellington team for the National Road Champs which are 2 weeks later, and a place in my club's National Road Relay team.  I have no idea if sub 40 will be enough for those things!  I also have no idea if I can run sub 40.  In fact in some ways I can't believe I'm even talking about it!

Well. Sub 40 - no.  Not even close.  The course was a tough one though, 1km out, 1km back on a reasonable incline.  Didn't feel it so much in the first loop but even by the second it was very noticeable.  Also 9 hairpin bends (complete stop and start again).  But still - I wouldn't have run sub 40 even on a perfect course.  It would just have been closer.

41.10.  Happy enough with that.  Selected for relay team I think.  Probably not for Wellington team for road champs.  Was 7th in masters. 

8/6/11

Lake Minnewaska Triathlon

Glenwood MN

400yd swim, 10.2m bike, 2.5m run

Goal: Top 5 AG, sub 1:02:00

5OA in 40-49 Male group

1:02:14 finish time

I was pretty happy with my bike time as it was 3rd in my AG and 18th overall.

The swim was okay as I was 4th in my AG and 49th overall. Considering this was my first open water swim of the year and only my second triathlon, I think it went well. I started at the back of the pack in my wave think I would be one of the slower swimmers. I was getting kicked and hit for the first 200 yds and I also swam towards the wrong bouy. That was probably a good thing as it took me away from the slow swimmers and I was apparently able to pass most of them, even as I swam off course and more distance then they did. I shouldn't doubt my swim skills.

The run was pathetic with a 7th AG and 63rd OA finish. I was either suffering from overtraining syndrom or I pick up mono from our daughter. She had mono at the beginninig of track season and I think I may have picked it up. ANyway the last months of running have fallen way off and I'm not really suprised the run was that bad.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

August 7th:  soundRunner Sea Legs Shuffle (Guilford, CT) - 10 miles - in current shape, will be happy with 1:40 1:30 or better.

1:28:48, carrying about 10 pounds of extra weight in rain water.  So I'm in a little better shape than I thought, but not where I want to be yet.  Felt heavy-legged in the last 4 miles or so, especially from 7 to 8.  Got a bunch of reasons in mind for that, all of which I plan to rectify for my next important race (sleep, diet, pre-race training load, etc.)

Feeling the growl again

or I pick up mono from our daughter. She had mono at the beginninig of track season and I think I may have picked it up. 

Been there done that brother, hope it was just an off day for you because mono is a rotten way to go into the fall.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Well. Sub 40 - no.  Not even close.  The course was a tough one though, 1km out, 1km back on a reasonable incline.  Didn't feel it so much in the first loop but even by the second it was very noticeable.  Also 9 hairpin bends (complete stop and start again).  But still - I wouldn't have run sub 40 even on a perfect course.  It would just have been closer.

41.10.  Happy enough with that.  Selected for relay team I think.  Probably not for Wellington team for road champs.  Was 7th in masters. 

Turns out it was a yes for the Wellington team too :-)

1:28:48, carrying about 10 pounds of extra weight in rain water.  So I'm in a little better shape than I thought, but not where I want to be yet.  Felt heavy-legged in the last 4 miles or so, especially from 7 to 8.  Got a bunch of reasons in mind for that, all of which I plan to rectify for my next important race (sleep, diet, pre-race training load, etc.)

Very very nice! You're in much better shape than you had previously predicted and will be in better shape yet in no time at all.
              WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

8/9 -- TNT Series # 5, 5K -- <33:00

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Congrats to Mandy, BT, and mgerwn! Nice job all around.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I was a bit meh about Saturday's race so I went and raced our local 5k tonight.  Not expecting it to go on the list as I didn't set a goal.  But anyway - 19.27 - a PR by 32s.  2nd lady.  Happier with that Big grin

Feeling the growl again

I was a bit meh about Saturday's race so I went and raced our local 5k tonight.  Not expecting it to go on the list as I didn't set a goal.  But anyway - 19.27 - a PR by 32s.  2nd lady.  Happier with that Big grin

Holy crap.  Well, given that a PR is hard to fake after the fact (and that I make the rules!) I'll let you sneak on with that.  It's hard to ignore a 32sec PR in the 5K for a runner who is not new to this game!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mandy is on fire. Any word yet on if you get to race NYC?

Double holy crap!  Nice job with that Mandy.  That's going to be a hell of bar to beat for the August beer.  Maybe one of the home brewers in here can brew a special batch for you...

There are people running 100 mile races this month - I don't think a 5k is going to cut it - even with a PR!  Thanks though - still very very happy this morning.

Candice - no news yet.  We're going to make a decision after the road relays on 3rd Sep.  Good news is that Todd raced a 10k last weekend. He ran 35.30 hard but not flat out.  He had run 3 or maybe 4 times in the previous week, but other than that nothing for 8 weeks.  So he is back racing although sore afterwards.  I think our chances of going have shifted up significantly although I still think no better than 50:50.  Keep your fingers crossed for us!  If he can run we'll do it - even if he is only looking at 2.40 or 2.45

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

8/9 -- TNT Series # 5, 5K -- <33:00

DNS. Stuck in a meeting and never would have made it in time.

1:32:51 for a 2 minute PR, 5th OA, 2nd Masters, and I threw up about 3 steps past the finish line.