3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Dec 9 -15 Training (Read 12 times)

DoppleBock

I know I have a moderately unhappy left knee and right achilles.

I am leaving for PA this afternoon and come back Friday night.

I will be happy with 60 Miles again this week.  I would like to get a run of 90 minutes straight this week.  I would also like to get a long run / walk (6-8 minutes running with 1-2 minute walk breaks) this week

But #1 is to keep injuries from worsening.

#2 is to get something in every day.

My goal is to wipe that run streak off my workout summary page from the past - It was an amazing time and streak of miles per day ... but that is a past life.  If I keep running every day it will disappear December 30th !

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Just a dude.

Rough week for me schedule wise. I could miss 3 days just because there is no time...

Goals:

Long run of 8+

1+ run(s) on trails

Keep the weight coming off

I'd like to crack 30 miles, but if I miss any days that will become quite difficult...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

DoppleBock

Travel God's are trying to muck my training - Monday 3:30 flight to Chicago delayed for 75 minutes waiting for de-icing when we were "1st in line"  Missed connection to Harrisburg, PA ... not more flights and not only would I be stuck in Chicago for the night, I would not get in until Tuesday afternoon.  Switched to Baltimore ... made the hotel by 3:00AM ... But my bags are somewhere ... If you see my bad let me know Smile

If the bag does not arrive at hotel before 6PM - I will be back at the stores buying shorts, shoes and t-shirts to get my run in tonight.  Kohl's this morning for dress shirt, dockers, underwear and socks.

It will not deter me ... I will prevail !

Nice thing ... I was able to buy the next waist size down ... but still a few sizes to my "Fighting Weight"

DoppleBock

KellyDodge - Your signature is my running career !  I was in really good shape for almost a decade ... but it needed to be skinnier shape.  I never raced under 200 and 205 was only seen for short periods of time.

That gives me hope of what I can still achieve if I get to an actually running shape.  I have lost a fair amount of upper body muscle over the last 6 years ... So I believe 180 is possible ... it will not be any time soon.

Just a dude.

KellyDodge - Your signature is my running career !  I was in really good shape for almost a decade ... but it needed to be skinnier shape.  I never raced under 200 and 205 was only seen for short periods of time.

That gives me hope of what I can still achieve if I get to an actually running shape.  I have lost a fair amount of upper body muscle over the last 6 years ... So I believe 180 is possible ... it will not be any time soon.

I know you were in really good shape... I was around when you got a nice bit of hardware at a World Championship a few years back...

I like to think we are similar... It's either all on or all off... And if its all on, then how can it be even more on. Until it collapses.

You're on is on a different level, though. Pounding out 60 or 70 mile weeks at your weight even though you have to walk good chunks of it... You went from cold turkey to 50 miles in roughly 3 weeks... Color me impressed.

-Kelly

DoppleBock

thanks - But it is just a big investment in time.

I spoke to my wife near the beginning and said "I need to be more selfish for a while and prioritize me running"

She is supportive

Feeling the growl again

thanks - But it is just a big investment in time.

I spoke to my wife near the beginning and said "I need to be more selfish for a while and prioritize me running"

She is supportive

A keeper for sure.

I've been trying most of the year to fight my way back into shape but fighting a hip issue(s).  Bursitis, piriformis, just generally angry with me.  I could not run at all or when I did it was with teeth clenched in constant pain that made it non-fun and unsustainable.

I finally caved and went to ortho.  Good news is they said my hip joints are in great shape and it's soft tissue -- too much desk job, not enough running.  So I've started a whole round of stretching and strengthening and it's slowly improving.  Today was the first day I could get over 6 miles in quite awhile.

Hopefully this helps with the weight...almost 30lbs to drop..

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

I finally caved and went to ortho.  Good news is they said my hip joints are in great shape and it's soft tissue -- too much desk job, not enough running.  So I've started a whole round of stretching and strengthening and it's slowly improving.  Today was the first day I could get over 6 miles in quite awhile.

Hi Andy. Besides the hip stuff I hope things are going well. Kids must be getting big.

I am a believer that sitting is the leading cause of running problems for hobby jogging desk jockeys. I think that’s what lead to my hip problems.

I’m not running much mileage but it is consistent. About 25 miles a week or so. The hip seems to be able to deal with that.

Late October I finally got sick of being fat. Seriously. I changed my diet. Basically cut back on carbs. It’s working as I’m down 8 pounds since November 1. I still treat myself occasionally which is key. I figure if I can drop this much weight over the holidays I can sustain it going forward. I can already feel that running is easier without the extra weight. More enjoyable.

Not at it at all. 

DoppleBock

let's get this party started!

Great news

A keeper for sure.

I've been trying most of the year to fight my way back into shape but fighting a hip issue(s).  Bursitis, piriformis, just generally angry with me.  I could not run at all or when I did it was with teeth clenched in constant pain that made it non-fun and unsustainable.

DoppleBock

hey tater - different ways to skin the cat.  Multiple different nutrition strategies work for weight loss ... if you stick to them Smile

My eating is not that great yet ... just trying to exercise more than I consume

I’m not running much mileage but it is consistent. About 25 miles a week or so. The hip seems to be able to deal with that.

Late October I finally got sick of being fat. Seriously. I changed my diet. Basically cut back on carbs. It’s working as I’m down 8 pounds since November 1. I still treat myself occasionally which is key. I figure if I can drop this much weight over the holidays I can sustain it going forward. I can already feel that running is easier without the extra weight. More enjoyable.

Prince of Fatness

hey tater - different ways to skin the cat.  Multiple different nutrition strategies work for weight loss ... if you stick to them Smile

My eating is not that great yet ... just trying to exercise more than I consume

This is something that I can stick to because I am allowing myself to indulge here and there. Mainly though it’s just cutting back on carbs and eating more vegetables. I used to eat a lot of deli meat with a nice roll for lunch. Now instead I will eat some protein and have a few vegetables with it. A couple of eggs for breakfast. Dinner instead of potatoes on the side I’ll have green vegetables. Weekends I’ll have a side of potatoes if I want but I don’t always want to. I still have my beer on weekends. The first week I lost 4 pounds. That positive reinforcement really kick started this. I still snack on weekends but not as much. I guess that you could call it a carb moderation diet.

MTA: And if anything my running has been a little less during this time which proved what I new along, that weight loss is more about diet than it is exercise.

Not at it at all. 

Just a dude.

This is something that I can stick to because I am allowing myself to indulge here and there. Mainly though it’s just cutting back on carbs and eating more vegetables. I used to eat a lot of deli meat with a nice roll for lunch. Now instead I will eat some protein and have a few vegetables with it. A couple of eggs for breakfast. Dinner instead of potatoes on the side I’ll have green vegetables. Weekends I’ll have a side of potatoes if I want but I don’t always want to. I still have my beer on weekends. The first week I lost 4 pounds. That positive reinforcement really kick started this. I still snack on weekends but not as much. I guess that you could call it a carb moderation diet.

MTA: And if anything my running has been a little less during this time which proved what I new along, that weight loss is more about diet than it is exercise.

For me it is this. Losing weight is 90% what goes in. I'm working a lot on the weight loss front... Hopefully I'll kinda look like a runner this summer...

-Kelly

DoppleBock

I will not make "Looking like a runner this summer" But I will make it before Christmas 2020

Feeling the growl again

To be dead honest.  My diet isn't bad.  Problem is lack of exercise calories burned, and liquid calories.  Work has been absolute hell the past year and a half.  My coping mechanisms are not ideal.  In the last month the situation has gone nuclear.  I'm now focused on taking control and shopping alternatives.  Reason I went to ortho is I'm now committed to solving all the above issues at the same time.  Ran 8+4 double today, all my hip would handle.  Good news is this is the first year in 5 I've gained no weight..but I have to implement a true reversal.

Thanks Finn yes, the kiddos are getting big.  I really enjoyed your visit here.  I've got 7th and 4th grade girls now and a 2nd grade boy.  Times are changing quickly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just a dude.

Rough week for me schedule wise. I could miss 3 days just because there is no time...

Goals:

Long run of 8+

1+ run(s) on trails

Keep the weight coming off

I'd like to crack 30 miles, but if I miss any days that will become quite difficult...

-Kelly

Results:

8.6 mile long run

3.2 miles on a trail

Weight is coming off

Only 27.9 miles. Ended up with a day where I couldn't get a run in with my schedule...

-Kelly