3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June 2014 Race Thread (Read 41 times)

kcam

thumbs-up!

Just a dude.

I was right on the line to my left side, opposite side of where the camera was.  White singlet with green stripes and green shorts.  A huge group of guys blew by me and I caught about a third of them over the course of the race.

I had fun but it's kind of tough as well.  As sucky as my 4:36 PR is compared to some of my others, I was the first non-pro in that race.  But I am also a big marshmallow right now and have a lot of work to do in order to earn such a performance again.

C-R was the champ today.  Damn what a race.  I asked him when the last time he ran a mile that fast was and he said "probably high school".

Awsome job guys. I'm impressed.

I have a similar mile on July 4th. You've inspired (and maybe scared) me.

Smile

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

an amazing likeness

Nice job all. Sorry for being slow, I'll get all the updates soon..work has me pinned down.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Nice running all - the mile is a toughie to get right...

Roth Runner 6/9 Southern Vet's 3000m 3k Sub 10:00      

After my last few races I'm just looking for a solid effort.  I've started building the foundations back but with no real speed recently I'm not expecting too much.

kcam

Roth Runner 6/9 Southern Vet's 3000m 3k Sub 10:00      

After my last few races I'm just looking for a solid effort.  I've started building the foundations back but with no real speed recently I'm not expecting too much.

Perfectly fine for where you are in your grand scheme.  Patience! (more for me than you, I need to remind myself of that one)

I like being the voice  of reason ken  it doesn't happen very often!

Perfectly fine for where you are in your grand scheme.  Patience! (more for me than you, I need to remind myself of that one)

Just a dude.

I like being the voice  of reason ken  it doesn't happen very often!

A voice of reason? In the Hurtlocker? Is that even allowed?

Wink

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Walk-Jogger

Cecil59,   6/7,   Festival of Miles,   1 mile race on a track.   Goal = <5:40

It's a race, but if it goes like last year, I'll be running it all alone as a time-trial in my age group. Or I could run with the Elites and race for DFL. I ran 5:30 last year, which age grades to 82.4%. I "only" need to run 5:33 to get the same 82.4% score, but I'm feeling slower than that, so I'm going to stick with the sandbagging approach and go for <5:40.

5:24, New PR, New M55+  race record, and fastest mile  I've run in over 25 years.

EDIT: Offical results are now posted, and my time was 5:24.34.

I only have minutes left on the parking meter and I still have to drive home so will keep this short.

(edit - I meant to say that's a new PR since I started running again at age 52. My lifetime PR was a 5:09 at age 32)

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

5:24, New PR, New M55+  race record, and fastest mile  I've run in over 25 years.

Dang man, it doesn't get much better than that.  Methinks you didn't stick to the plan.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I only have minutes left on the parking meter and I still have to drive home so will keep this short.

I was wondering. The 5:40 seemed beatable from your recent performances.  Good one!

kcam

Congraulations, Cecil!  Coincidentally, 5:24 is my mile PR.  You need to get yourself a 5:23 or better this summer (so do I)!

Walk-Jogger

Thanks Spaniel, Ken and Justaguy; Ken I'm still in shock that I was able to break my time from last year for this race, and I'm still processing it. I'm wondering if the biggest factor might have been the plantar fasciitis I've battling on and off for the past month in my right heel. I've been limping around in pain since my Wednesday morning tempo run, and have only been able to run 3 of the past 7 days. I would normally do a lot more running than that even with a taper for a one-mile race.

If you want a real laugh, here's my splits from this morning (I didn't see the clock the first time around, so had to estimate first and second lap times from my half-split):

1:14, 1:23, 1:29, 1:18  =  5:24  Clearly, I must have stopped for a nap or a burger or something in that third lap . . . 

(809-800 = 2:37, 2:47)

I was running against a bunch of old guys as the age division was everyone M55+, so some of these guys were in their 70's. I may have lapped everyone in my heat, and some of them twice, and ran solo the entire way, just like last year. There's no honor in lapping these old timers like that, and I felt bad about it, but I didn't really have any choice. Had I run in the elite master's race at noon, as I had considered, I would have been dead last by 20 seconds or so. The elite men's master winner today ran a 4:43, and he's 48. That was 8 seconds faster this year than he was last year. The elite open men's runner "only" ran a 4:18 or so, but this is a small event and that was a new race record as well.

Retired &  Loving It

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

6/7/14 Hartford CT - Race For The Cure - 5K - No goal time - running with my friend's daughter, while her mom does run-walk with my son.

39:03 for my friend's daughter and I - she beat her time last year by more than two minutes ! She was super-psyched, and did great, running the first mile without stopping, in 9:40.  Sue and my son came in at 42:32 and 42:42, respectively - also new course bests for them by over two minutes, so a great race for all.

Add in another race for me tomorrow:

6/8 - Lime Rock Park 5K, Lakeville, CT - <26:00.  Two laps on a race car track.  I think it's a Trans Am or Sprint Cup track, not sure though - I know there are a lot of turns and a couple straightaways.

(edit - I meant to say that's a new PR since I started running again at age 52. My lifetime PR was a 5:09 at age 32)

Dang Cecil, great job.  To hit your fastest time in 25 yrs is something in itself. Congrats!