3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June 2014 Race Thread (Read 41 times)

Feeling the growl again

6/13 - spaniel - Blame Spaniel 5K #4 - 16:55

Two race days in a row...hopefully blowing out the fast stuff tonight will make sub-17 feel easy-peasy...

Call it a DNF @ 3200m in 10:59 through I finished the distance in 18:28.  Legs felt really sapped and I was already slightly behind pace and going the wrong way (5:26-5:32) so I idled back and finished easy with a couple surges.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

6/13 - WhoDatRunner - BS 5K #4 - <27:00 and drink beer

Success on both goals. 26:47 and beer and company were enjoyed.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Just a dude.

Two thumbs up!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

C-R

+1

Tool Run 5K this morning. I was trying to get that sub 19 monkey off my back but no luck. 19:19. Perhaps racing/running hard three days in a row was not the best prep. Ah well I still had fun. 5OA and 1AG (small race).

Patrick ran 18:59 for 4OA and 1AG. Damn proud of that boy.

Oh and we crushed the competition in the father-son bracket.

Lots of swag went in the car. Glad I brought a ringer.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

10K, June 15

flat & fast

Be excellent to PR [<37:42], and win AG, and beat David my perennial competitor in the series.

Not remotely close; didn't even place in AG, and didn't break 40. But got a good workout in: 8mi w/u, 10K race, 2mi c/d before awards, and talked David into a c/d after awards for another 4mi.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good for you!

Congrats C-R and Patrick too.

steph  

Walk-Jogger

Good for you!

Congrats C-R and Patrick too.

+1 Whodat, C-R and Patrick!

And nice workout, AP!

Retired &  Loving It

Nice running and beering all!

6/22 - Roth Runner - Richmond 10k - sub 34:30, I'm not in PR shape but I hope to get under 34:30

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Great time at the Color run thing, the kids had a blast.  DNS for the 5 Miler - chose sleeping in and late breakfast over dealing with day-of registration and the hot course.

Not sure what it will be this week but I have two options:

Day: 6/14

Event: High Cliff Triathlon

Option 1: Run portion of the Half Iron Relay (13.1 mi)

Goal: Ran 1:18:09 last year.  Not bad for a trail run.  Will be shooting for <1:18 this year.

Option 2: Sprint Distance Triathlon (1/4 mi swim, 22 mi bike, 5k run)

Goal: No idea.  Haven't freestyle swam for distance since 2009.  I'm fine on the bike and run.  Maybe <1:25.

The other 2/3rd of my relay team is likely going to bail on me so my options are wide open.  There are a few others that I can recruit to fill the relay spots but frankly I have this crazy notion of going for option 2.

Ended up going with both options, although only one was treated as a race.  It was a great weekend camping and racing with friends.  We had about 20 people make the trek up there.

Event 1: Sprint Tri

Official Time: 1:22:03

Winner was 1:17:25 and the difference was all in the bike time.

Treated this as a race.  First tri in 5 yrs and first tri with a real road bike.  The swim wasn't really a swim as we could touch the entire time and the depth was only about 4 feet.  Hard to get any kind a rythm as people would swim then stop and walk.  Water temp was good and it actually was warm compared to the 50 deg air temp.  After coming out of transition, we have to climb a decent size hill, about a 0.5 mi in length with a pretty good grade to it.  Wind wasn't too bad but was noticable in spots. Again, I got passed only by those guys with really nice tri bikes.  Ended up averaging 24.1 mph on the bike, which I was very happy with.  The bike leaders were pulling around 26.3 mph or so.  Over the distance of the bike, that put them about 5-6 minutes ahead on the run.  There is no way that kind of time can be made up on a 5k.  I tried though.  We had to run up the same big hill that we rode up.  Ended up passing about 5 people on that.  Once we got onto the trails, I just kept it going.  I had a tough time here as my left contact had slid up under my eye lid and my right one wasn't staying in.  Not a good thing for trails with rocks, roots and turns.  Allergies were a bitch for a lot of people up there this weekend.  I could have pushed it harder on the run.  Ended up averaging 6:13 per mile on the run.  Finished 9 OA and 2 AG.  Got a pint glass for the age group award.

Event 2: Run Relay - 13.1 mi

Had about an hour and half after the sprint tri to get ready for this.  One of our other friends that made it fielded a relay team.  Their swimmer/biker bailed that morning so the person running still wanted to run.  I told her to just start with me when it was time and we could run.  So that's what she did.  Ended up having a relaxing run and enjoyed it out there.  Ran a 1:40 with her and finished feeling a whole lot better than I did than after the sprint.  Call it an extended cool-down run.

mbehr, sounds like a fun weekend.

And we run because we like it
                        Through the broad bright land

C-R

Nice mbehr!

Here we go again.

6/19  All Comers Track Meet Zionsville IN

"Mile" < 5:34

400 < 1:07

800 < 2:40

and I am not running the 3200. Nope. Nada. Not going to do it.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Walk-Jogger

Some or all of this meet is starting to look very unlikely, due to the pain in my right heel. I'm not certain now if it's plantar facsiitis, a calcaneal stress fracture or calcaneal bursitis. All  know is that it slowly started showing up in early May after racing 12k in 3.9 oz flats, and it gets worse the further I run or when I sprint. The pain is a burning, extremely tight feeling in the heel, sometimes more on the sole, sometimes more on the back of the heel but not the sole. This is not a convenient time to be injured. Not that there is ANY time that it is convenient. I'm back to biking to stay n shape, but that requires warm weather, and it's cold enough today and the past few days that the furnace is running at home and I'm having to wear long sleeve shirts and a jacket to work to stay warm.  

Cecil59 - Lewis & Clark Senior Games - track meet

When: June 21st.

Where: Lewiston, Idaho

What:   60m, 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1600m

I've just sent off my registration for the Geezer Senior Games in Lewiston Idaho on June 21st. I couldn't  decide which track event(s) to run, so I entered all six of them. I can always back out of individual events day of, if I'm injured or don't feel like running.

Goals: Found out where I'm right now at speed wise in these shorter distances. Time-wise, if I can get close to or even beat my times at this same event from 2010 I'll be happy. I'm most interested in my 100m and 200m times.

This meet was previously hand-timed and probably will be again this time.

60m      2010  -  8.88

100m    2010  -  14.09

200m    2010  -  29.69

400m    2010  -  1:05.59

800m    2010  -  2:34.87

1600m     2010  -  5:38.4

I'm not expecting many competitors in my age group at this event ( 2, 3, maybe 4?), but hopefully I'm wrong and some fast runners show up and kick my butt.

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

Me too, me too!

6/19 All Comers Los Gatos, Ca

800 - 2:40

Mile - 5:40

800 comes first, then about an hour before the Mile, even thought that's plenty of time to recover I never seem to run that second race like I should.

Both goal times are kinda stretch goals in which I have no idea whether I can run them.  No way No how am I doing the 400 (this time!).

bhearn

If I weren't running Western States a week later I'd be tempted to join you, Ken. I've never run at a track meet.