3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

SupnShit! (Read 28 times)

kcam

Kelly and all the rest of you guys ...

I'm keeping on keeping on.  Running like sheeeit compared to the old days but still hammering some miles.  Lost some due to the wildfire smoke in the bay area but I'm still kicking.

Feeling the growl again

I think most of us are to some extent.  Last week I ran 45.5 miles so I looked back and realized that was my highest total in 4+ years....shit.

So I set my sights higher this week.  10, 6, then Wednesday I get less than a mile in and the damn hip/hip flexor pain was back for the first time in a month, I had to stop at a mile.

I dunno.  Maybe if I wasn't 25lb heavier than 4 years ago this wouldn't be a problem.  At least I stopped GAINING weight some time back.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hi Spaniel!

Just a dude.

I've been struggling with a combo of lots going on and terrible smoke. I've had days where I couldn't see the hill that was less than a mile away.

Hopefully California will stop burning soon and I'll be able to take advantage of some cooler temps and get out there...

Thanks for checkin in !

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

Hi Spaniel!

Hey stranger!  You still possess those amazing cooking skills?  Am I forgiven yet for that killer hangover?

Damn...somebody one here is still running some sick mileage.  What are you training for?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Purdey

Self anointed title

Still enjoying cooking.  Can't drink as much as I used to! Starting to build some miles in anticipation of a trail 100 mil next year.  Hope you and the family are all well.

Feeling the growl again

Still enjoying cooking.  Can't drink as much as I used to! Starting to build some miles in anticipation of a trail 100 mil next year.  Hope you and the family are all well.

Good luck with the race buddy.  Family is doing great, getting big too fast.  I expect you are experiencing that too.

kcam

True story:  Last time I was back in El Paso (where I grew up) I ran into one of my younger sister's old friends.  Hadn't seen the guy for about 30 years.  Kinda one of those 'underachievers' if you know what I mean?  Never amounted to much, still kicking around doing the exact same stuff from when he was 20 years old.  That kind.  Anyway after we chit chat for a few it's time to go and he says tell your sister I said "supnshit'.  LOL.  So I did,  I told her ole Billy-bob from back in the day said 'supnshit'.  We had a good laugh about that!

Got in 11 this morning.  Felt great as it was 65 deg out and, best of all, AQI was <50.  Gorgeous run.  Ran a Mile on the track yesterday with my club.  We all social distanced and had staggered starts so you were mostly running on your own.  I ran 6:17.  Almost made me cry that it was that slow!  95, 95, 96, 91.  Still, it was fun to run hard and I was able to get that 11'r in this morning.

Feeling the growl again

I ran 12 miles Saturday.  Hate to say looking back I think it was the longest run in 18 months.  Mostly due to the hip issues, been no fun at all.  I got done thought back about how it felt and was like dang, I use to hurt myself like this every week??

It was actually pretty pleasant, hoping i can make it a more regular thing.  Hip didn't totally hate me, though it hated the 20 tons of limestone I loaded by hand on Sunday...

I have a long sad story about injuries and shit.  I'm over that and while have relatively decent base mileage am slow as hell.   My priorities are:

1) Maintain a consistent base of ~70 MPW.  Some fluctuation/ramp up for races is okay but running 80+ miles a week for 10+ weeks is no longer sustainable. (maybe that will change but attempting to do so has broken me multiple times in the last few years)

2) Increase cadence and speed by doing at least a few runs a week with a few miles solely focused on turn-over, and a solid tempo run each week

3) Get back into trail shape by running hilly routes 2-3 times per week.  Also get faster on flat single track with continued practice.

That's actually a lot as I look at it in writing but I'm not getting any younger. My real question is how do we resurrect DB?

Feeling the growl again

I have a long sad story about injuries and shit.  I'm over that and while have relatively decent base mileage am slow as hell.   My priorities are:

1) Maintain a consistent base of ~70 MPW.  Some fluctuation/ramp up for races is okay but running 80+ miles a week for 10+ weeks is no longer sustainable. (maybe that will change but attempting to do so has broken me multiple times in the last few years)

2) Increase cadence and speed by doing at least a few runs a week with a few miles solely focused on turn-over, and a solid tempo run each week

3) Get back into trail shape by running hilly routes 2-3 times per week.  Also get faster on flat single track with continued practice.

That's actually a lot as I look at it in writing but I'm not getting any younger. My real question is how do we resurrect DB?

Where is he at?  Nice to get a core group posting n here again to get a mutual spark.

kcam

Flatfooter those seem like reasonable goals.  70+/week seems just out of reach for me these days as, like you, I seem to be getting hurt trying to get much above about 50 or 55 / week.  As far as your #2 goal, it's laudable and I'm kinda concentrating on the same thing.  Read on if you want to be bored by yet another runner's total anecdotal BS ...

My club has always run Thursday morning track workouts but I've avoided them because I figured the last thing I need to do is go out there and hammer track intervals with the guys and gals.  I'd try to keep up with the faster ones - BAD.  It turns out they don't hammer them.  The Thursday group is mostly old-timers like myself and they really actually don't go hard!  They do something like Tempo 400 (as a warmup), 400 walk, 2X800, 400 walk, 2X400, 400 walk, 2X200 with 200 walk in between.  The 800s get swapped each week (16,12,8,6,4, not in that order).  But the thing is they don't run any of them hard.  Supposed to be a 'leg-speed' (whatever that is) workout.  So on a 400, say, they'd tempo the first 200 and then ramp up the speed slowly the last 200.  On an 800 it'd be a tempo'd 500 and then slowly ramp the last 300.  Even the 200s are tempo 100 and ramp the last 100.

I've been going to these workouts for about 6 or 7 weeks and I find it takes next to nothing out of me.  It's the opposite of a hammer-fest.   I ran with 'em this morning and I could go out and run another 3 to 5 miles easy tonight if I wanted to.

As you may remember two weeks ago we ran a mile on the track and I ran 6:17 (ugg), then last Sat we ran an 800 on the track and I ran 2:57 (ugg) and this morning for the first 800 of the workout I raced it.  Ran 2:53.  Smile!

I wish there were some road races around to see if there's any effect, but oh well.

MTA:  Ran another club social distance track Mile Sat - 6:18.  Sigh.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I need to see this new in improved fat spaniel guy. When is this new beer mile going to happen?

Hi Spaniel!

Feeling the growl again

I need to see this new in improved fat spaniel guy. When is this new beer mile going to happen?

I am not sure what is new or improved.  That fat part is true, I'm running 177ish.  Only good news is I haven't seen 180 in quite awhile and really haven't gained in 3 years.  Now that my hip is behaving I'm hoping to ramp up and take some off.

We can do a beer mile whenever.  I'd recommend spring or early summer 2021.  But I work from home now so heck, Tuesday's good.

C-R

Can we do Thursday? I have soccer reffing on Tue and Wed.

Signed " FF from Carmel"

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/