3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2020 HL Race Calendar (Read 22 times)

kcam

I'M READY COACH!  PUT ME IN!

kcam

Well, I did go out and run the race but I am sticking to my guns about running easier and building base for a good long while.  Though I did sign up with the intention of racing instead I just pegged my HR at 145 and ran there for almost all of the race.  Never looked at my time or pace.

I ran 1:17:30 and it was pretty comfortable.  I for sure could have gone faster but that was a great training effort.  the only time I allowed myself to run really hard was the last 1/4mile which was a slight uphill as well.  Got my HR up to 167 on that stretch which is the highest I've seen in years.  I wonder if my max HR might really be somewhere around 170?  I think the end of a 10mile run is probably not the best place to find your HRmax as your legs are probably to tired to really tax your heart.

DoppleBock

kcam - Nice to get out there.  I have no idea on Max HR ... When I was 18 I used to do a stairmaster all out and it had a think to take a pulse and I would hit 210.  When I was in my mid to late 20s I would do the eliptical pretty hard and my rule was I had to back down when I got above 190.

I have never attempted to see the upper end since.  I am not sure how much you would knock off a 210 max @ 18 - Maybe 180 now ?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

kcam

No idea but I know that several years ago when I was running really well I could get my HR up to about 178 on a really hard 5K finish.  Lately I've never seen above that 167 from Saturday's race.  So for me at 51 years old it was ~178 and now at 58 years old it's ~170?  No clue what it was when I was much younger.   You should do a run to try and figure that number out, just for grins.

I'm  only concerned with getting a good read on HR max right now because I'm basing all of my training on HR levels rather than pacing.  I also need to be keeping an eye on my heart and what it's doing during all of my exertions these days.  I had a heart attack at the end of June this year with a couple coronary artery stents put in.  My cardiologist strongly suggested I continue running but to keep effort level low.  The best way to do that is the opposite of what everyone says (ditch the watch and run by effort)!  If I were to run by 'feel' I'd be running a lot faster than relying on my HR to tell me what easy pace REALLY is.  I'm doing my runs anywhere from 117 HR up to 130 HR (which seems to correlate roughly to 10:50/mile to 9:00/mile, depending on conditions).  If I were running by feel I'd be running 8:30 at maybe 135 - 140HR.

Just a dude.

I've never been able to do the heart rate thing. My heart rate has always run really high...

I remember doing a workout in high school that our coach tried. The goal was to run a 400 and get my heart rate over 160 I think. Then wait until it was below 140 I think. Repeat. Something like 10 or 12 of them was the goal.

I did my first one, and waited. and waited. and waited. By my third one I was getting lapped. It took forever for my heart rate to come down.

One other guy on the team was doing 400s as fast as he could, and couldn't get it over 160, so he never got a rest.

After 3 or 4 the coach scrapped the whole idea and we went back to a 60 or 90 second rest or whatever it was.

(I was in pretty good shape. I ran sub 9:30 for the 3200 that year.)

My max heart rate was still over 180, and I regularly run easy runs over 150. I don't pay attention to it at all...

They struggled to program my pacemaker because of how my heart works. It gave me a false positive at the end of a 5k and tried to defibrillate me 3 times. (I was in the 190s)

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

kcam

I don't know how well training by HR will work out for me as I've never done it in the past ... but I'll find out!  So far so good, my legs feel great and I can easily go out and run every day which is a pretty good result all by itself.

DoppleBock

You are an experiment of 1 and if it helps you not over run the pace of the training runs purpose ~ It makes sense to me.

I don't know how well training by HR will work out for me as I've never done it in the past ... but I'll find out!  So far so good, my legs feel great and I can easily go out and run every day which is a pretty good result all by itself.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

3/14 O'Gara's 8k 29:00

4/25 Get in Gear Half Marathon 1:20:00

5/16 Uff Da Half Marathon 1:18:00

5/25 Brian Kraft 5k 16:30

6/20 Grandma's Marathon ??? (2nd kid due 3 days before) 2:45:00

7/22 Torchlight 5k 16:30

8/5 Endless Summer 5 mile trail race (who knows)

8/29 Rutabaga Half marathon (Going for the win after getting 2nd last year) very hilly course so time is out the window

9/7 Victory 10k 34:00

10/4 TC 10 Mile 59:59

10/17 Mankato Marathon 2:40:00

Looking to go 2:45:00 at Grandma's Marathon and 2:40 at Mankato Marathon.  However my 2nd child is due 3 days before Grandma's so a little up in the air if I'll actually run.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k: 16:21 BK5k (May)

kcam

3/7 NorCal 10Mile (Redding)

DoppleBock

welcome aboard

3/14 O'Gara's 8k 29:00

4/25 Get in Gear Half Marathon 1:20:00

5/16 Uff Da Half Marathon 1:18:00

5/25 Brian Kraft 5k 16:30

6/20 Grandma's Marathon ??? (2nd kid due 3 days before) 2:45:00

7/22 Torchlight 5k 16:30

8/5 Endless Summer 5 mile trail race (who knows)

8/29 Rutabaga Half marathon (Going for the win after getting 2nd last year) very hilly course so time is out the window

9/7 Victory 10k 34:00

10/4 TC 10 Mile 59:59

10/17 Mankato Marathon 2:40:00

Looking to go 2:45:00 at Grandma's Marathon and 2:40 at Mankato Marathon.  However my 2nd child is due 3 days before Grandma's so a little up in the air if I'll actually run.

DoppleBock

C-R with the 5k / 10k this weekend!  Should be fun ... and painful Smile

DoppleBock

I have listed them as DNS unless you give me data to the contrary ... I could not find your name in the results

C-R with the 5k / 10k this weekend!  Should be fun ... and painful Smile

C-R

I have listed them as DNS unless you give me data to the contrary ... I could not find your name in the results

DNS was correct. Felt like crap. Rallied for 13 later in the day. Kinda screwed up. Have 5k on Sat and Sunday this week.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

I think most of us are kind of screwed up - So you would have to be more specific.

Good luck on your 5k

DNS was correct. Felt like crap. Rallied for 13 later in the day. Kinda screwed up. Have 5k on Sat and Sunday this week.

C-R

I think most of us are kind of screwed up - So you would have to be more specific.

Good luck on your 5k

So Sat is Melt the Trail

and I ran a 56:17 for the Groundhog 7

Fat, old and slow seems to be my thing right now

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/