3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Pro running discussion (Read 108 times)

Feeling the growl again

If our most popular thread is on beer, I figure we should at least have a token towards the real hardcore runners.  Smile

I didn't catch Galen's drop out from the mile on the DVR, but I captured everything from the meet after that.  Really made time on the treadmill fly.  For those that missed it, it was a really great watch.

1)  Jenny Simpson in the 2-mile.  She was way, way out of it.  Then with a couple laps to go she staged one of the most staggering comebacks I've ever seen, taking the lead right before the bell lap.  THEN SHE STOPPED.  The big kick was because she thought they were finishing, I felt so bad for her.  I don't know what she was thinking as they didn't get a bell going into the lap, but having been in that position I know it's not all that hard to miscount laps either.  Still, her kick was impressive.

2)  WR in the men's 4X800m.  Three things were interesting.  First, the record is incredibly weak, they were pretty far out of pace at first but still got it.  Second, the leadoff runner for the one American team ran the 800m like me, ie he had a bad, bad day.  Went out leading then faded far out the back.  Finally, the NY/NJ Track Club came in second and would have set the WR if they had not been out-leaned at the line by US All Starts.  Excellent race.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

The boy and I watched the 4x800 live and I watched the entire thing on DVR (while on the treadmill). The lead guy for Brook Beast team didn't look like the rest of the racers (thicker upper body - more like a 200 or 100 guy) but I was surprised to see him drop off that far. Loved the final lap. They ran with all hanging out.

Rupp was in good position and just pulled up. Didn't grab anything so the foot comment later in the program made sense. Haven't heard anything further. I did notice that the race pace was not going to be a record chaser. It was tactical from the start. Not sure why since Slazar mentioned chasing records. I wonder if they knew there was a tweak and didn't want to fully push it and just hope it holds for the win.

Cain is a predator. She hunted the leader and what a finishing kick. Fun to watch.

The Simpson goof was a head scratcher. Personal opinion, she was so far into the zone to catch Kipyego (?) that when she passed her it must have been a click. Her interview was pretty funny. Good sport in what must have been the biggest goof of her track career.

I am becoming a huge fan of FloTrack. Just saying.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I saw that meet, too.  Including Galen dropping out.  I think he'll be fine.  I suspect that he was just being cautious.  If my season ended every time I got a sharp pain somewhere, I would NEVER compete.  Then again, I'm old. :-/

Yeah, I wonder if Simpson could have kept the lead had she known she had another lap.

Imagine if either of the 4th leg runners of the 1st or 2nd place team had been on the Beasts team in place of Sherrer.  The world record could have been set 8-9 seconds faster.

And don't forget about Mary Cain improving her junior world record.  She was only a second off of the American senior record.  Amazing meet!

Just a dude.

I read somewhere (Letsrun?) that Galen was wearing new shoes for the the race. Some experimental something or other. Had pain and dropped out. Put on trainers and cooled down without pain. Then put on his old spikes and did an after race workout.

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

C-R

I read somewhere (Letsrun?) that Galen was wearing new shoes for the the race. Some experimental something or other. Had pain and dropped out. Put on trainers and cooled down without pain. Then put on his old spikes and did an after race workout.

Good find Kelly - per the Oregonian Newspaper "

Oregon Project coach Alberto Salazar said Rupp was running in an experimental pair of shoes, and began to feel pain in his left foot. Salazar said the pain was later determined to be in the soft tissue at the bottom of his foot.

Rupp changed to his training shoes and warmed down without pain. Then he put on his old spikes and did a demanding postrace workout.

"It was a fantastic workout," Salazar said. "He's fine.""

Are you kidding me? Even newbs are taught not to run in a new pair of shoes for a goal race. I can't believe they would do this? Couldn't have been the first run in these spikes. Slazar is too much of a perfectionist to allow that. Also, I thought these shoes were custom built for the athletes foot?

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Feeling the growl again

Good find Kelly - per the Oregonian Newspaper "

Oregon Project coach Alberto Salazar said Rupp was running in an experimental pair of shoes, and began to feel pain in his left foot. Salazar said the pain was later determined to be in the soft tissue at the bottom of his foot.

Rupp changed to his training shoes and warmed down without pain. Then he put on his old spikes and did a demanding postrace workout.

"It was a fantastic workout," Salazar said. "He's fine.""

Are you kidding me? Even newbs are taught not to run in a new pair of shoes for a goal race. I can't believe they would do this? Couldn't have been the first run in these spikes. Slazar is too much of a perfectionist to allow that. Also, I thought these shoes were custom built for the athletes foot?

It's all very odd...unless he's worn them before and only now had the issue?  I've run in a pair of shoes a workout or two and thought they were OK, then had a major SNAFU in a race (remember Tom King with those T5s that ripped half my heel off?).

Plus, according to those at a site I don't publicly admit logging into Smile  Rupp did not do a port-race workout in the fieldhouse...not sure where else he'd find to do a workout in spikes but it could have been.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Just a dude.

It's all very odd...unless he's worn them before and only now had the issue?  I've run in a pair of shoes a workout or two and thought they were OK, then had a major SNAFU in a race (remember Tom King with those T5s that ripped half my heel off?).

Plus, according to those at a site I don't publicly admit logging into Smile  Rupp did not do a port-race workout in the fieldhouse...not sure where else he'd find to do a workout in spikes but it could have been.

Surely Flotrack has video somewhere right? Wink

-Kelly

Feeling the growl again

Surely Flotrack has video somewhere right? Wink

-Kelly

Rumor has it the workout happened at Harvard, just like one of Cain et al that IS up on Flotrack from a week or so before....

I never believed shoes can cause major issues with just one run, but a couple of months ago ran in Brooks Pure Connects for a easy 6 miler after I thought I broke them in with real easy runs.  Even though it bothered my arch during the run (has an odd bump which I thought was supposed to support the arch), did not think it would be too big an issue.  I could not walk without substantial pain for a week after that, tried a bunch f short runs everyone of which was rather painful.  Thought I had some kind of SF for sure, thankfully was just soreness that went away.

C-R

Rumor has it the workout happened at Harvard, just like one of Cain et al that IS up on Flotrack from a week or so before....

Bingo. The Cain - Hasay post race workout video was at Harvard so probably where Rupp got his extra miles.

Still odd about the shoes. Shirts, shorts sure. But socks and/or shoes (I think most of these guys don't wear socks on such a short race) seems an odd choice. Makes me think they were never going to try for the world record. Just a bunch of marketing BS.

C-R

I never believed shoes can cause major issues with just one run, but a couple of months ago ran in Brooks Pure Connects for a easy 6 miler after I thought I broke them in with real easy runs.  Even though it bothered my arch during the run (has an odd bump which I thought was supposed to support the arch), did not think it would be too big an issue.  I could not walk without substantial pain for a week after that, tried a bunch f short runs everyone of which was rather painful.  Thought I had some kind of SF for sure, thankfully was just soreness that went away.

It was a pair of Pearl Izumi's for me. 4 miles and the worst blister of my life coupled with arch and achilles pain. They were at the local running store donation bin the very next morning.

Feeling the growl again

Makes me think they were never going to try for the world record. Just a bunch of marketing BS.

Salazar initially announced Rupp would go for the record the prior week.  That attempt was subsequently canceled in favor of this more tactical race.

What I took from that was that in the interim between announcements something happened with Rupp's training that made Salazar feel he didn't have the record in him.

Just a dude.

Salazar initially announced Rupp would go for the record the prior week.  That attempt was subsequently canceled in favor of this more tactical race.

What I took from that was that in the interim between announcements something happened with Rupp's training that made Salazar feel he didn't have the record in him.

Could be. The official word is they wanted to race so Rupp could get ready for world indoors. Then after that, if the still felt like it was there, go for the record. I for one am glad they went for a televised meet with real competition instead of another time trial. I think some solid rivalries would be good for the sport. I was kinda hoping Solinsky-Rupp would be a good one until Solinsky ripped his leg apart. Farah and Rupp are too friendly to come across as rivals. The Africans don't seem to resonate with US fans very well. Lagat could be a good rival if he has enough years left in him. Who else is an up and comer in the 5k? Lomong? Cam Levins? Chris Derrick? Ryan Hill?

-Kelly

If our most popular thread is on beer, I figure we should at least have a token towards the real hardcore runners.  Smile

It'll take a lot of doin to overcome the beer thread.  It's either, beer, weight loss, good workouts or sucker punches.  Those seem to be the leading themes around here.  Let's see, beer doesn't lead to weight loss but could result in a sucker punch.  And I did have one of my best workouts in college after a long night of drinking too much beer.  It was wierd.  I felt like crap all day.  Got a McD's meal about an hour before the workout.  But during and after the workout, I felt great like I could have kept going.

In all seriousness, the indoor season has delivered for long distance running.  It's been fun to see the excitement of it all.

C-R

Lagat is just that damn good. Wow.

Sucks he's in my masters division s next year. I guess the AG awards are out for me.

Oh yeah and Cain can race. She's fast too.