3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May Racing Thread (Read 1824 times)

Feeling the growl again

I understand, and appreciate the invisible font you used for my 6:05 Half Ironman. Smile

Fixed both.  I was going to blow the 6:05 up to 30pt font in red for you but am too lazy to figure out how Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Failed at the 10mi goal (PR w 1:03:44), but not too badly: 1:03:57.5 (4OA, 2AG). 27sec behind my AG winner, who beat me by 1:52 at my PR race last month.

Success at the 5mi goal - PR w 31:15.  (1AG, 6OA).

At the 10-miler, after attempting to drink at the first aid station, with my usual disastrous choking results, I poured it over my head instead, and then did that at all subsequent aid stations. That's a new trick for me, and it was a very nice feeling every time - a nice shiver of cold, for a little energy boost. Same thing at the 5-miler (except fewer water stations, and I skipped the failed attempt to drink entirely).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

At the 10-miler, after attempting to drink at the first aid station, with my usual disastrous choking results, I poured it over my head instead, and then did that at all subsequent aid stations. That's a new trick for me, and it was a very nice feeling every time - a nice shiver of cold, for a little energy boost. Same thing at the 5-miler (except fewer water stations, and I skipped the failed attempt to drink entirely).

I don't bother taking on water in anything under a HM....but I'll do the dowsing trick anytime it's really hot.

At our college conference meet once, it was so hot that they were dipping water out of the steeple pit to hand out for people to throw over themselves.  One of my teammates, not the sharpest knife, didn't comprehend the shouted warning and attempted to drink the first cup....I would not have been surprised if cases of flesh-eating bacteria resulted....the goldfish in the pit were going belly-up in the stuff.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Thanks for the water-dumping tip.  Fantastic running!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Awesome job AP! That's some great running.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There's a 5K in the morning, so I feel like it is a rare chance to get 3 in 3 days, but it would cut too much into family time, so I'll just have to let the opportunity flow away..

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

19:42

Not a PR but didnt really expect one. The start was a mess...Boxed in for the first mile. I hate big 5ks.

Failed at the 10mi goal (PR w 1:03:44), but not too badly: 1:03:57.5 (4OA, 2AG). 27sec behind my AG winner, who beat me by 1:52 at my PR race last month.

Success at the 5mi goal - PR w 31:15.  (1AG, 6OA).

Nice work AP! Looks like you're becoming the guy they hope doesn't show up.  

I'd like to point out on the water tip... if you're going to dump water on your head AND drink, make sure you dump the water on your head first.  Otherwise, you have a mouthful of water when you reflexively gasp at the shock of the cold water hitting your head and running down your back.

Not a PR but didnt really expect one. The start was a mess...Boxed in for the first mile. I hate big 5ks.

Nice race Candice, and pretty close to a PR even though you got boxed in.

For the GJCC, I just missed my time goal, but am happy with the results.  I won my age group - first triathlon hardware ever.  I've placed in duathlons but never in a triathlon.  13th of 16 on the swim, 1st of 16 on the bike, and 5th of 16 on the run.

I got a nice Tile award and a $15 gift card.  First time I've ever got a money prize.

Oh and my time was 48:20.

I look my best blurry!

This looks like fun!  I've never done a Tri.  Congrats!

Feeling the growl again

This looks like fun!  I've never done a Tri.  Congrats!

Runners make terrible swimmers.

Don't ask me how I know.

Nothing to sneeze at, even if you hadn't been boxed in.  

43:54, so not even close to goal.  But, a minute faster than three weeks ago, so I'll build on that.  

Nothing to sneeze at, even if you hadn't been boxed in.  

Yep. I think it was pretty decent. The 5k isnt my thing, so I didn't really expect to run sub 19, even though I might have thought about it. I'll do it eventually.

Plus I scored 3rd highest on our team, so that was good for points and such. Actually, I was second on our team, but they go by gun time on the circuit races which blows. Should have worked my way further toward the front. I literally started on the grass/curb instead of in the road trying to squeeze my way in.

Tony, congrats on GJCC! I liked that one when I did tris. I remember getting a $15 gift card to acme when I did it....but no awesome tile Sad