50 and over 5k and beyond

February runs & workouts (Read 19 times)

Chantilly75

NH Runner  very sorry to hear that the achilles is once again on the down-side.  Hope a longer rest will help.

gito57 That was some race! congratulations!  and then a recovery run, to boot!

az2mntrail ...maybe it's just me, but GF within 2 months of the MIL's passing?  A lot to absorb all at once IMO. Don't blame you guys for a "go-slow" attitude.   (Major house-cleaning does count as cross-training.)

justrundan sounds like a nice day with your wife.  Good that her foot is coming along.

Fletch_NC  ..strength and endurance training all in one day.  Hope the business goes well for your SIL.

worked all weekend/rest.

14 miles on the track.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Rich:  HAHA!!  Missed your humor!!  My achilles are pretty well-managed now with consistent icing after each run, but I am very aware of any slight ache when I increase intensity especially hill repeats.  As soon as the inflammation is under control after each icing, I can run the next day. So for me, I have to stay on top of that if my training runs are to be consistent for 4-5 days in a row.

BRRRR!!  Last Wed (1/29) was my last run in AZ, a 4 miler (was very windy so cut it short) before returning to MN.

Woke up to a sunny snow covered beautiful morning in northern MN.  Headed out the door before 11am.  It was freaking cold out there!!  Jeeezz!!  -5 degrees when I left but feels like -18 with 10 mph wind.  Body was in shock for the whole measly 3 miles, ouch!!  LOL!! Road around neighborhood is still slick with ice/snow, didn't even take a walk break since it was a slow and easy run and just wanted to get home asap, LOL!!  When I got home, stood next to the pellet stove for about 1/2 hr, trying to warm up, OMgoodness! , then I stood in hot shower for another 10 minutes, .

Weather site now says its 0 degrees, feels like -15 with 9mph wind!!  I ran the 20k trail race WITHOUT my knee support (for sideways stability) and I mentioned that it was pretty beat up (from the downhills), swollen when I finished.  I decided to give it some extra days of recovery and it felt better on this morning run with my newer knee support.

Yes, Art, maybe I should have stayed in AZ just a little bit longer, .  Any upcoming races planned?

Chantilly:  Totally agree! Nothing 'wrong' with having friends for support (to deal with grief/sorrow) but he doesn't want to go to any support group or hang out with those "old people" (his words) when sisters suggested the senior center.  DH (and sisters) know their dad can't handle being alone, so they call, we visit, but he WANTS/NEEDS someone so he doesn't "feel sad and lonely" .......he just can't handle it.  I feel for him.  DH (and family) accepts the fact that Dad has a/wants to be with GF but family would rather he wait on the marriage.  That is the main issue for everyone it seems. The "go-slow" suggestion to Dad seems to be 'too slow' for him.  Appreciate your thoughts.

Fletch

Fletch... a 9:33 pace?   There's some natural talent in your genes, that's darn good for such a short amount of time running.  Re: Active Release... I've read about it, but think it's geared more towards treating muscle soreness than tendon injuries.  Is that correct?

I dunno, Rich.  Here's what the ART website says:

What is Active Release Techniques (ART) to Individuals, Athletes, and Patients?

ART is a patented, state of the art soft tissue system/movement based massage technique that treats problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves. Headaches, back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, shin splints, shoulder pain, sciatica, plantar fasciitis, knee problems, and tennis elbow are just a few of the many conditions that can be resolved quickly and permanently with ART. These conditions all have one important thing in common: they are often a result of overused muscles.

How do overuse conditions occur?

Over-used muscles (and other soft tissues) change in three important ways:

• acute conditions (pulls, tears, collisions, etc),
        • accumulation of small tears (micro-trauma)
        • not getting enough oxygen (hypoxia).

Each of these factors can cause your body to produce tough, dense scar tissue in the affected area. This scar tissue binds up and ties down tissues that need to move freely. As scar tissue builds up, muscles become shorter and weaker, tension on tendons causes tendonitis, and nerves can become trapped. This can cause reduced range of motion, loss of strength, and pain. If a nerve is trapped you may also feel tingling, numbness, and weakness.

I don't know how serious the "problems with muscles, tendons...." would have to be for ART to be ineffective.

Anyway, glad you are at least able to do some XC work.  And as far as "natural talent" goes, I guess being inexperienced helps...I simply don't know that I shouldn't be able to go that fast.

Chantilly - 14 miles...WTG.  I dream of the day I can put in that kind of mileage.

Fletch, Rich:  I read about this last century (around 2008 or so) when ART was introduced as an alternative treatment for sports injury.  The U of CA, San Diego has research data of successfully treating over 70% of carpal tunnel syndrome.  Thus, the thought of repetitive motions could include stressful movements such as running, etc. The overuse injuries (like tennis elbow, knee pain, etc) causes micro-traumas resulting in scar tissue.  However, although scar tissue is necessary to stabilize the injured area, it can also impede the normal function in the healing/recovery of the stressed area.  ART is a specific vigorous massage to break apart the scar tissue. I'm not sure what methods a practitioner uses in the ART massage, kinda sounds like a more specific 'deep tissue massage'.  I know my masseuse (in AZ) is excellent, very knowledgeable in the anatomy/injury sites of sports related activities, I miss her when I'm in MN.  I haven't found one here that I'm happy with.

Just my 2 cents.

Fletch:  sometimes what you don't know is an advantage ........... Kinda like running a trail course for the first time in a race, I just go by what I encounter which tends to keep me motivated.  When I run the same course too often, I get bored and it affects my performance.  One of the reasons why I enjoy running in different places, courses and distances. You do have a great pace for someone who just started running!!  Keep it up!!

NH Runner

Looks like I may have to search for someone local educated in ART... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVtzxqsbBF0   Interesting.

az & Fletch... thanks.

Fletch... isn't your 5K coming up soon?

justrundan

4 boring slow miles on TM last night and tonight.  boring,but it's still 8 miles.  I need to keep telling myself that and not get so frustrated with my slow paces. 

Chantilly- wow, 14 miles!  You never stop lady! 

AZ- hang in there with that cold and wind.  still sub-zero here most nights, but "only" single digits, and above zero during day.

Rich- good luck with your therapy and rehab on the Achilles.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Rich-Hope you're able to find someone who can help.  It is great to have this forum to share information.

Chantilly-WTG on the 14 track miles!  I'm just awestruck by your weekly mileage.

Fletch-9:33 pace!  Bet you can't wait for your 5k!  Re: the pacer during Sunday's 10k:  she (23 yo) stayed right on my heels through the finish line. I guess we helped each other!  I felt badly because the course was a slush-fest.  I won't go around puddles during a race, so every time I ran through one, we both got soaked! 

AZ-So much to deal with since your return!  You and DH only want to guard dad's fragile heart.  So difficult to interpret GF's intentions.

Dan-Don't be discouraged!  You are building endurance big time.  Are you able to listen to music or watch TV while on the TM?

Yesterday, SRD with some planks and thera band work.  Today, 6 miles and 5 x 100m striders on the indoor track.  I felt really fast on the striders. Until Marquette U's track team came to practice, they flew by me on their warm.up.run!   Oh, to be young again!

Run/heal strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Fletch

Rich - Good luck with the rehab.  In the meantime, I hope you can get in some XC work on the trails.  RE: upcoming 5k.  February 22nd - I am running in the Mardi Gras Miles 5k.  3 weeks after that, on March 15th, I am planning to run in the Shamrock and Roll 5k, with a coworker.

Az - I know what you mean about changing it up.  Luckily, I live in an area where I can head out in almost any direction, into several different neighborhoods and small downtown areas.  Keeps things fresh.

Dan - "Tedium on the Treadmill..." sounds like a bad movie title.  Way to hang in there.  They say Spring is coming....

Debra - Don't worry too much about the college kids blowing by you...after all, that was a 23 yo that FOLLOWED YOU to the finish line in the 10k!

Woke up this morning to a slow, steady rain, and 37 degrees.  My first appointment at work was pushed back to 9:30am.  Seemed like a PERFECT DAY to sleep in.  So what did I do?  Laced them up, went out in the rain, and set out on a nice long Gump run - 7 miles (my longest yet).  Loved every minute of it, and can't wait to do it again.  Is that dedication...addiction...or insanity??

Chantilly75

az2mntrail  be careful on the ice.  That wind can almost knock a person over sometimes.

Fletch_NC  Nice pace there, 9:33.

I ran about 4 miles, 3 times a week for years, before I tried running longer than 60 minutes, found it quite hard, but added a 4th day, then later, a 5th day of running.  Just gradually increasing.

justrundan  getting it done on the TM

NH Runner  ART was helpful for a hip injury after a bad trip and fall on sidewalk while running, a couple of years ago.  They would seek out the scar tissue with their fingers and press on it and move the leg back and forth to release the areas of deep swelling/bruising. Long pushing type pressure down the length of the muscles, tendons also.  But it was not like a massage.  It got me back on my feet.

Like az2mntrail said, it has to be done by a good therapist.

gito57  6 miles plus striders is quite a workout. ...at least you got lapped by young ones,  I had a 75 yr. old pass me doing 9 min. miles this morning. 

10 miles.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Wednesday, 2/5... 2 mile shuffle on the treadmill for me today.   The idea was to get in a workout and not upset my achilles and I did, so cloes enough.    Locally, I'm not going to find an ART therapist, there just isn't enough business in this small town.   I can do eccentric heel drops however   http://www.runningwritings.com/2013/11/achilles-tendonitis-in-runners.html , they clean up scar tissue as well.

dan... I woudn't fret about your pace, a runner is a runner, no matter what the pace.   You're doing great!

gito... I like your workouts, you cover all the bases

Uh Fletch... 7 miles in the rain?   Yup... you're hooked...

Chantilly... you should'a tripped that 75 year old, who does he think he is anyway!? lol  You're cranking out the miles as usual...

justrundan

Deb- don't those folks who run 7 m/mi pace as an 'easy' run amaze you.  Would have been fun to watch.

chantilly-  way to keep cranking it out.

Fletch- I'd say yes to all three. 

Rich- the heel drops are good.  Keep babying it and it should come around.

rest day for me today; DW is in Milwaukee for conference, so I'll head in to hospital extra early and try to get in more than my 4 on the mill.

Keep it up folks, you are inspiring!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Fletch-"dedication ... addiction ... or insanity?"  Definitely, you're a runner!

Chantilly-When those kids grow up a bit, I'd like to be the 75 yr. old that passes them!  Nicely done on the 10 miler.  I figure if I do half the mileage you do every week, I'll  be in pretty good shape for the HM.

Rich-At 5 people at the track tonight were doing eccentric heel drops on the bleacher stairs.  Sounds promising.

Dan-You are also learning mental toughness with all the TM miles.  The treadmill is your friend during this bitter winter!

5 miles at the indoor track tonight.  Pretty busy with Tri training group, race walkers, middle school speed camp, plus the rest of us all on the track at the same time.  Found a little pocket and did my 18 laps.

Run/heal strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Butt freezing temps!!  No run but had lunch with DH at workplace. About -10 degrees, 8mph wind, feels like -24 degrees!! Frost biting bitter bone-chilling temps for the night! Holy cripes!! Odie (our dog) even knows he better be quick about IT when he's gotta go!! 

Chantilly75

NH Runner   I'm afraid that I do not agree with the heel dips at present, when the achilles is sore.  I think you need to lift them up with a heel and to keep it shorter until it feels better, then start gradually stretching it out.  You can try ice alternating with heat, and gently rub the achilles yourself, slowly going up the length of the back of the leg.

RE: the 75 yr. old:  When my son was young, he would get upset at all the people running faster than him on the track.  I told him to just wait for 10 or 15 minutes, and then they will be quitting, and you'll still be running.  This really helped his confidence when he saw it was true.

justrundan keep hanging in there on that TM

gito57  Do you find all the groups interesting?  Relieves the boredom on the track….plus it gives you practise on avoiding people in crowded races...

az2mntrail keep warm!  …poor doggy...

8 miles plus 10 minutes biking and light weights on the leg machines.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 2/6... first on the agenda was to clean the 10 inches of new snow we got from yesterday's storm that continued into last night, then another easy 2 miler on the treadmill, followed by heel drops and contrast baths.

Chantilly... I'm afraid we're talking about 2 different things.   Eccentric heel drops involve standing on a step with your heel hanging off the edge.   You use your good leg to raise your bad leg so that you're standing on your tiptoes.   From there, you slowly lower your weight using just your bad leg until you've dropped as low as you can go.  Then, using just your good leg again, you raise yourself back up to the start position.    They recommend 3 sets of 15 repeats 2 times a day.   Doing this encourages the production of Collagen, (Achilles Tendon fibers) to jumpstart the healing process.   From my experience, it does work...

You're talking about heel lift inserts that go into your shoes, right?   I've tried running in my old Ascis trainers with the thick cushioned heel that raises your heel and really didn't do well.  Very uncomfortable.   Thanks though, I value your input.

gito... you're solid as a rock lately.

Az... I used to think northern New England's weather was as cold as anywhere in the country.   Since reading your posts here, I've changed my mind, we were a toasty 10 degrees this morning when I blew off the driveway.   And poor Odie, I hope he's got long legs for when the snow's deep...