50 and over 5k and beyond

February runs & workouts (Read 19 times)

Crazy Diamond

Fletch-"I didn't feel well ... but I forced a steady 3 miles" CONFIRMED:  Yep, you're a runner!  Hope you're feeling better.

Chantilly-Awesome workout over the weekend!  Do you do triathlons or duathlons, too?

AZ-Bet Odie had a big smile when he could see home!  15 degrees and sunny today in Milwaukee.  I may be acclimating to the cold ... I actually turned down the thermostat in my car!

Rich-Cool video - I don't believe I've ever seen an indoor xc ski facility!  Re:  using electrolytes. When I began running distances over 2 hours, I began getting leg cramps during the night.  Someone suggested using sports drink  during/after the run. I don't care for sport drinks due to the sweetness.  Tried Endurolytes Fizz with water and the cramps didn't occur again.  Now that 2 hour runs are not that unusual for me, it would probably be worth a try to go with water only.  Not anxious to have the leg cramps return though!

Dan-Hope DW's conference and visit to MKE went well.  Hey, how was the pecan pie?  Here comes the sun!

4 miles at the indoor track.  Need to find a safe place to do hill repeats.  Sidewalk on the hill in my subdivision is currently too icy.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Deb- if you want hills, come to Baraboo and run Devil's Lake when the weather improves!   I'm finishing the last piece of pecan pie from one of the two as I type.  DW left ALL of the other one with her Mom on Sunday.  Really!  Well, it was her 80th BD, so... 

I haven't had to worry about 2 hour runs yet this season, hope to get in a good LSD on Saturday.  I do plan to enjoy the warmer weather, even if it means sloppy streets!

Dan

adkkev

After nearly two weeks of illness (cold, hacking cough, general malaise), I'm back into the swing of things again.  5 miles last night & 5 miles this evening on the treadmill at the Y.  Legs feel pretty good despite the hiatus.  No outdoor running yet ... if it's not snowing it's cold, like subzero cold!  And more snow is on the way this week and maybe next week as well.

Nice running everyone ... hope our injured "seniors" heal soon!!

We are beginning to plan a May vacation to southern Utah ... we've always wanted to go there but just haven't worked it into our past vacations.  We hope to hit a few of the National and State Parks & get in some good hikes.  My wife is looking forward to the plentiful photo ops!!

NH Runner

Yesterday was a day off...

Wednesday, 2/12.... 7 miles of classic skiing again.  This morning's temp was -6, a gazillion snowmachines have been through on the railtrail and rutted it up, but I STILL had a good ski.

gito... the electrolytes you used were Hammer brand right?  I'm going to try 'em this year...

adkkev... I was beginning the think you'd joined the Foreign Legion you were gone so long. Admit it, you missed the treadmill... lol    Nice runs the last 2 days...

Dan... I wonder if Pecan pie would be considered health food...

Chantilly75

gito57 nice runs indoors.  Yes, the electrolytes are good for cramps, hope they help you out.

justrundan ..…do you have enough pecan pie for all the class? 

adkkev sorry you were sick.. hope you're better now.

NH Runner  you don't keep the skis in the ruts for smoothness?  I thought that was why snowmobiles groomed the trails?

8 miles.  Supposed to get a snowstorm, but since it is the middle of February, winter can't last much longer...

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Fletch

Nice running, skiing, cycling, walking...pie eating and everything else going on.

Round one of winter storm Pax rolled through here yesterday.  We got a couple inches of snow, but it didn't affect the roads and sidewalks too much.  I had hoped to run this morning, but had to head in to work early.  Wish I had worked it in somehow, because it started snowing around 10:30am, and by the time it slacked off around 4:00, we had 6 inches, and this time, it stuck to roads as well.  And did I mention that we don't do winter weather very well here in the Carolinas?  And the precipitation didn't really stop, it just switched over to sleet and freezing rain, which is expected to continue until mid afternoon tomorrow.  While we're bad at handling snow on the roads, we REALLY struggle when it comes to ice.

On the bright side, DW and I hiked it over to the golf course and joined all the kids sledding down the hills.  Got a pretty good workout climbing back up after each run.  Can I call that a 1.5 mile walk, and some hill work?

Sidewalks and roads are a mess.  Not sure when I'll be able to get back out.  Spring can't come soon enough...but then, I don't need to tell you guys that!

adkkev

another 5 on the treadmill this evening, .25 mile cool down on top of that.

Another snow storm heading our way, a "classic nor'easter".  So by Friday morning we may upwards of 15" of snow or so.  And it was -15 when I went to work this morning.  Quite the winter we're having.

My sister sent me some pics from her home in Marietta, GA, this morning ... quite the icy mess.  I don't have any problem with snow, but ice is another matter altogether!  Hopefully she's not lost power like so many down that way have.

Fletch - stay warm & safe!!

Crazy Diamond

Dan-Staying in the Dells for a family gathering in March.  Hopefully the weekend festivities will allow a quick jaunt to Devil's Lake for a run or snowshoeing.  Weather is looking better for an outdoor LSD this weekend.  Enjoy!

adkkev-Hope you're feeling better!  Shovels ready?  Hope the weather systems weakens.  Your Utah vacation sounds wonderful.

Rich-Yes, Hammer Endurolytes.  I like the Fizz tablets in grapefruit, but that is personal preference.  They remind me of "Fizzies" tablets when I was a kid.

Chantilly-Hope you weren't hit with too much snow.  We dodged it this time.

Fletch-Good hill workout with the sledding - fun, too!  Ice storms are so damaging.  Hope all stayed safe and no power outages in your area.

5 miles at the indoor track.  Picked up the pace on the straights and easier on the turns.  Watched a group training for Boston, all ages - so inspiring!

Friends, run strong and stay safe in whatever weather you are experiencing.

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Thursday, 2/13... the latest snowstorm moved into our area earlier today, but I managed 4 miles of skate skiing before things got too bad.

Chantilly... the groomer designed for snowmobile traffic just smoothes the trail, there aren't any grooves when it's done.  The trail can get pretty rough after a lot of snowmobile traffic, so the groomer's job is to smooth things out again.  It's a bonus for someone like myself who likes to ski to have the groomer go through and smooth things up for us as well.

Fletch... yup, sledding counts, nice hill work!   And no-one gets around when there's ice, the best thing to do is stay in where it's warm.

adkkev... you're the winner in today's snow depth competition, they're predicting 10 for us.   And good luck to your sister, hopefully warmer weather's not far off.

Thanks gito, Hammer it is.

Fletch

adkkev - hope the storm didn't hit you too hard.  Keep plugging away on that treadmill.

Debra - nice work on the track.  Hope the weather lets you get out this weekend.

Rich - I notice you switch back and forth between skate skiing and classic XC.  From the videos I've seen, it looks like two very different workouts, hitting different muscle groups, correct?  BTW, both look like fun...was almost wishing I had some skis this week.

The sleet and freezing rain continued through the night on Wednesday.  Roads were terrible Thursday morning.  Most schools and businesses were closed.  The road I live on is pretty heavily travelled, so they were pretty quick to clear it, if you can call what they do "clearing."  It was clear enough to get out for a run Thursday afternoon.  It wasn't long, wasn't fast, and wasn't pretty...but it was a run.  2 miles, with the frequent stops to step off the side of the road (usually into a mound of snow piled by the plows) to allow cars to pass.

About an hour before I headed out for the run, DW and I heard the ominous crack of a tree limb breaking, immediately followed by our power going out (along with about 40-50 neighbors). That was around noon Thursday.  It's now 10:20 am Friday, and power is still not restored. The only commitment I can get out of them is "everyone in the county should have power restored by 11:45 pm SATURDAY!"  Bummer.

If I keep saying it enough, maybe it will happen...SPRING IS COMING! Stay safe, everyone.

NH Runner

Valentine's Day... 2 mile treadmill run after cleaning up the new snow.    I kept the pace slow and cadence between 178 and 182.   Achilles is coming around...

Fletch... with the weather you're dealing with, you did well to get a run in.  Good for you!    You're right about xc skiing, there's not much the two types have in common.   They each require different skis, poles and boots and if you're using a wax base, different techniques for waxing.  I like the upper body workout you don't get from running, that's the best advantage.   Normal years (when I'm not injured)  I ski a little, but nothing like what I've done this year.   I'm a runner first, but skiing's at least keeping me sane when I can't run... lol

Good luck getting your power back on!

Here's a picture of the first pass down my driveway this morning.   The tires on my old snowblower are 16 inches high...

Valentines day storm

Chantilly75

NH Runner  Nice snowblower. Looks like you're in my driveway! The son got stuck, finally got his car out, had to shovel quite a bit.

Fletch_NC Your freezing rain is worse than my snow. Hope it warms up there. Nice cross training on the hills.(fun, too) Your dogs must be having a bit of a bad time with the weather.

gito57 Have fun in the Dells.  Will it be warmed up enough in March? I was there once years ago and played mini golf with my son, while husband played regular golf.

adkkev Hope the snow/cold isn't as bad as the forecast.

az2mntrail hope it warmed up for your dog. Some dogs around here wear those dog mittens on their feet.

5 miles in the morning

4 miles with son in the afternoon.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Looks like everyone is staying busy despite their weather problems - Good job!

Rich - First view of snow blower, thought it was ginormours - glad you told us how big those wheels are!

Chantilly - Nice consistency!

Debra - Hammer products are good.  I believe I read some where that we have enough glycogen for 2 hours give or take, I believe the idea behind fueling is to not hit that limit.  So, adding in before the tank is empty is good.  Recommendations are any where from every half hour to every 45 minutes.

Dan - hope your weather gets better soon.  TM gets a little bit tedious...

Fletch - Ice storms.  Wouldn't know what to do - never seen em...Stay warm and keep up the runs.

adkkev - hope you're fully recovered.  Good work on the runs.

Az - Gotta love the dogs and cold weather.

Friday got 6 miles into my planned 10 miles run and felt the calf, bzzt.  Walked 2 miles back to work.  Took Sat and Sun as rest days, walking only.  Monday nice slow 4 miles.  Tuesday did a walk/run first 2 miles walking last 3 miles running - slowly increasing speed for both 57 minutes altogether.  Wednesday was run with Work Buddy, first 2 miles were nice and slow and then I went a bit faster 5 miles in 49 minutes.  Thursday walked first 1.5 mile and then really small steps (tried to increase turnover) 5.1 mile in 57 minutes.  Today was a slow walk 5.1 miles in 1.5 hours.  Calf is definitely sore, going to try some KT tape for tomorrows race...

Ray

Fletch

Ray - Hope the calf does ok for your race tomorrow.

Chantilly - Good work on the "two-a-days."  As for the dogs, they actually enjoy frolicking in the snow, as long as it's light and fluffy.  They don't care much for the layer of ice on top.  They either slip and slide, or they break through.  I think they are ready for spring, too.

Rich - like the pic of the blower.  We don't see those much around here...although lots of us were wishing for one this week.  Glad to hear the Achilles is coming along.

Power restored at the house around noon today.  Was off for a total of 24 hours.  Was a strange kind of day.  Snow still piled up everywhere, but it got up to about 50 degrees, with bright sunshine.  Didn't have time for a run before Valentine's dinner with DW.  Hoping to get one in tomorrow.  The weather has kinda twisted up my schedule getting ready for the 5k next week, but I feel pretty good about where I am, so I'm not letting it bother me.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

adkkev

15" of snow by morning ... and then the winds kicked in.  But that didn't stop us from getting in 3+ miles of snowshoeing!  Slow going because we had to break trail.